The VT "It's the weekend!" thread

Xela

Woolacombe is a cracking place. Awesome beach with plenty of space.

the towns ok, a couple of nice pubs/bars for the size of the place.

Croyde bay is only a 15 minute drive away, which is another stunning beach. 

Hope you have a great time mate! 

• Thanks 1

Just been for a run this evening, will try and do another run or two over the weekend. Generally trying to be healthy and not have much in the way of alcohol as I have a few heavy sessions on the horizon.

Other than that, painting and glossing skirting boards and door frames are the other anticipated highlights of my weekend.

Had a bit of a scare this morning which will probably change my plans.

Two hours into a scrimmage for basketball I put up a shot and as the defender closed me down he's caused me to roll my ankle, forget how exactly.

This usually wears off soon enough but unfortunately for me it's the second roll of that ankle this week, the first one I was being idiotic playing streetball in casual shoes.

So that's potentially put my professional career on hold. We'll see. Two hours later I still have limited movement and pain, I'm meant to scrimmage for another 3 hours tonight.

I'm not sure I can get a hold of my old team's doctor on the weekend unfortunately, so best to rest until I can be seen. So lucky that our season is on a three week break.

Last night had some great scrimmages with some friends and then went out for drinks in the city (rare for me)  with a friend and a girl he knows.

Got chatting with this girl, and we really hit it off and had some interesting discussion. Both her and my friend are from a culture based in Sudan that is trying to gain recognition.

We discussed prejudice, white privilege (or at least the perception of), philosophy, my Greek heritage and African cuisine. It was cool.

We're going for dinner next week so I can experience some African cuisine for what I believe will be the first time in my life.

Went to see my parents today for a coffee and a bite to eat. They seem so much happier now they have moved into the country. It really is nice to see. 

Driving back into Brum, my mood immediately drops a few notches.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went to see my parents today for a coffee and a bite to eat. They seem so much happier now they have moved into the country. It really is nice to see. 

Driving back into Brum, my mood immediately drops a few notches.

New NIHR funded project: green and blue spaces and mental health outcomes

September 27, 2017 · by Becca Lovell · in Background, Project progress · 2 Comments

Ben, Mat and Becca are collaborating on a newly funded National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Public Health Research project which will investigate whether changes in the green and blue spaces we are exposed to effect long-term wellbeing and mental health.

The collaboration is led by Dr Sarah Rodgers, Associate Professor at Swansea University Medical School, and involves the University of Exeter, Cardiff University and the Barcelona Institute for Global Health. We will work with partners from Natural Resources Wales, Keep Wales Tidy, Sports Wales, City and County of Swansea, and Welsh Government.

Our study will investigate how changes in the availability, abundance and accessibility of green and blue spaces has influenced mental health outcomes over time. We will also consider how different types of green and blue spaces relate to mental health and wellbeing benefits for different people.

Using a large-scale, population based, natural experimental approach, we hope to address shortcomings in the existing evidence base by adding detail on the quality, type, size, location, function and uses of green and blue spaces. Routinely collected health and environment data will be linked in the databank based at Swansea University. The Secure Anonymised Information Linkage databank (SAIL) is an immensely powerful world-class system that brings data together in a secure, trusted and confidential way.

We will examine associations between residential green and blue spaces exposure and mental health for 1.7 million adults in Wales. To do this we will create a longitudinal quarterly residential green and blue spaces exposure dataset for each home in Wales using local authority datasets adjusting for changes in greenness between 2008 and 2018 using remotely sensed data. We will use Ordnance Survey data to extract ‘blue’ features, including canals, ponds, rivers, and beaches, and road and footpath network data will be used to calculate distances from each home to residential green and blue spaces access points within a 10 minute walk. This data will be linked with routinely collected health data held in the anonymised databank.

We will also use a hybrid longitudinal, cross-sectional design which will incorporate outdoor recreation survey results for 24,000 people to explore the potentially mediating effect of green and blue spaces visit frequency on any direct relationship between residential green and blue spaces and our data-linked primary health and wellbeing outcomes. Analysis of green and blue spaces visits will consider activity type and other relevent social factors.

The results of the project will inform public health, planning and regeneration decisions relating to the protection and development of green and blue spaces for health improvement.

The project is funded through the  National Institute of Health Research’s (NIHR) Public Health Research outdoor green and blue spaces call. The PHR Programme funds research which aims to generate evidence to inform the delivery of non-NHS interventions intended to improve the health of the public and reduce inequalities in health.

More details on the project, which starts in January 2018, can be found on the NIHR PHR project page.

https://beyondgreenspace.net/2017/09/27/nihr-green-blue-spaces-mental-health/

• Like 1

I had my day in the countryside yesterday. Every year I make sure I have one day walking around some hills and grass and stuff. Whether I feel I need it or not.

Manly man stuff today. I've put up some shelves, done some painting, measured up for my next diy project and made a plum and blackberry crumble.

Today I have watched:

* The Villa

* Some Ashes

* The Boggies

* Bayern Vs Dortmund

* Atlanta vs LA

* Currently watching Charlotte independence vs Louisville

* Next up is first half of Chicago and Houston

* Then Monterrey Vs Leon

* and finish with sky sports news.

Yes McGrath exists

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

where abouts!?

Weymouth. 

Stopped half way at a massive campsite near Burnham on Sea. Awful. Way too big and awful people here. Today on to Weymouth, a place I spent a lot of time in doing It work but due to the long hours, never actually saw the town. 

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Weymouth. 

Stopped half way at a massive campsite near Burnham on Sea. Awful. Way too big and awful people here. Today on to Weymouth, a place I spent a lot of time in doing It work but due to the long hours, never actually saw the town. 

Hahahahaha that’s where I’m from! Get to the boot pub if you can!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a stag do tonight, heading into the jewellery quarter, few pubs, then over to Edgbaston for the T20 (keeping an eye on the sure to be calm musings of the VT match thread - I’ll be drunk so that will numb the senses).

Then over to Broad Street, find the most agreeable bar for a drink then karaoke, I may venture up and select a song for my own rendition.

More drinks elsewhere - to be determined, then hotel.

• Like 1

I remember in Primary School my mate turned to me at home time on a Friday and said "Paddywhack, 2 days off where we don't don't have to come school and we can just do whatever we want for 2 days" and I genuinely don't think a single sentence has made me as happy since.

off to a Steak house tonight. After the dullness that is today, and still having the stress of an imminent house move, whilst trying not to scream at the cricket, I will be enjoying much food and wine this evening, and I won't risk letting villa add to the sporting misery tonight as I'll be too drunk with any luck. rest of weekend either moving, or annoyingly a family do on Sunday which is ill timed. A 3 hour drive away, for a double diamond wedding anniversary, both of the couples are called Dan and Marga weirdly enough. Can't not go as it's obviously the last time I'll see them I presume, but just could do with the time to get packing. Do have a ticket for T20 on the monday so that might be some relief

Â