The VT "It's the weekend!" thread

Xela

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

First time in 3 years that I can say, I’m officially going to the game today. What a great feeling. See you all in the piss you off thread later, and the smith out thread ?

Try not to cause a riot this time!

• Haha 1

Whilst my evening is practically ruined (for reasons nobody should ever mention in Off Topic :)), I've decided to splurge on a couple of episodes of Quantum Leap.  I loved that show on BBC2 on a Tuesday evening (if I remember correctly) and I think I could quite happily gorge on it for a weekend. 

As for this weekend, I've got "mandatory fire protection works" taking place in my flat (it's probably due to increased checks because of Grenfell) - they've already cut out a big hole in my ceiling (next to my door), the hallway has another big hole and they're fitting some fire retardant filter of some sort between the wall space before plastering it all back up.  Yay! 

• 2 weeks later...

Have my daughter tonight until Saturday afternoon, hopefully go for a run afterwards. Then a few drinks in Shrewsbury, last train home. 

Sunday, not up to much. Will try and construct the Christmas present I’ve just bought for my kid, make sure it’s all present and correct.

• Like 1

Big weekend after a big week with work (racked up 30hrs overtime in 4 days including a 20hr day yesterday)

to recover, i’m heading to Bristol to meet a mate, watch the rugby and then onto to the Parquet Courts gig!

just hope I don’t fall asleep on the train up :) 

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Big weekend after a big week with work (racked up 30hrs overtime in 4 days including a 20hr day yesterday)

to recover, i’m heading to Bristol to meet a mate, watch the rugby and then onto to the Parquet Courts gig!

just hope I don’t fall asleep on the train up :) 

How odd, I came here to say I'm off to Brizzle in the morning too, staying Sat and Sun. Some drinks with an old friend tomorrow night followed by record shopping and more drinking on Sun. Might fit in a few hours with my daughter somewhere but she's going with her Mum to see that f***ing Qu**n movie on Sunday night and they know there's more chance of hell freezing over than me going to that, so I'm going to try and find a gig on Sunday night

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

How odd, I came here to say I'm off to Brizzle in the morning too, staying Sat and Sun. Some drinks with an old friend tomorrow night followed by record shopping and more drinking on Sun. Might fit in a few hours with my daughter somewhere but she's going with her Mum to see that f***ing Qu**n movie on Sunday night and they know there's more chance of hell freezing over than me going to that, so I'm going to try and find a gig on Sunday night

I hear there's a really good Queen tribute band playing Sunday night :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last weekend my mate from London (whom I hadn't seen for 44 years!) came up to Leeds to see The Decemberists - who were excellent. He's currently undergoing chemotherapy, and due for surgery, for œsophageal cancer (which killed another friend of mine two years ago). Yesterday, another good mate had surgery for prostate cancer. 

Life is getting scary. 

58 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Cancer scares the shit out of me, but no good worrying about it, until IF you gets it. 

Absolutely. It's just that I've lost two good friends to it already, and now another two under the sword of Damocles doesn't make for a cheerful weekends. 

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely. It's just that I've lost two good friends to it already, and now another two under the sword of Damocles doesn't make for a cheerful weekends. 

Condolences for the friends you've lost and that more friends are battling. I assume the sword of Damocles reference is because their lives are on the line?

I've lost a relative to it. I was a pallbearer at the funeral and couldn't help but shed some tears. As you say it's not a cheerful process. That said, the times spent together in the lead up to his passing were and still are a source of positivity. Despite it's undesirable nature and how debilitating it can be, death and the process in which it comes about are not to be rued but a reminder of how fragile life is and the importance of embracing and cherishing it.

In completely unrelated news, after being tipped as favourites and winning every game in the group stage, placing us as the top team going into finals, we ended up losing in the semi-finals of the basketball tournament I played in today. Cash only went to the winning team so no extra paycheck this time around. Next tournament is early December for a tournament in which I was last years runner up and the winner the year before after I hit the game winning 3point shot in the final.

Was disappointing to lose the way in which we did. I was 100% from the field in the first game and scored just under half our points but my teammates were overlooking me when I was open  and that continued all day. It wasn't that they didn't trust me, it was that they were overlooking each other too, scrapping the team game in favour of individual efforts to force a play. It worked for most of the tournament but when we came up against our first real challenge in the semi-finals we came undone against a team that shot the lights out and fought hard to maintain and further their lead. We came really close to a remarkable comeback but if we had used each other and found the open shot more we would've won the whole thing at a canter.

I'm all for backing oneself and having confidence in your ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck but not if it's to the detriment of a better performance. There was next to no effort to pass the ball around and expose our opponents by using one another. It was head down, I'm going to make this play myself type mentality for the majority of our plays.

I don't care that we missed out on the cash or bragging rights, I enjoyed the day regardless. What does bother me is that we were expected to win the thing because we can produce good basketball and yet on the day we forgot one of the most fundamental aspects of the game, that being that it's a team game.

Ah well.

• Thanks 1

Finally managed to find the will to mow the lawns. Took some doing, and I’ve knackered the mower up, but I don’t care. It can **** off until March/April now, so I’m happy about that. Ended up working yesterday, so it’s been a pretty boring weekend. Mignt nip out for a few pints. See what the other half says. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Finally managed to find the will to mow the lawns. Took some doing, and I’ve knackered the mower up, but I don’t care. It can **** off until March/April now, so I’m happy about that. Ended up working yesterday, so it’s been a pretty boring weekend. Mignt nip out for a few pints. See what the other half says. 

March/April?!

The grass must grow slower over on Pluto.

As far as I'm concerned the only part of a mower that needs to work is the catcher. Nothing worse than a mower spitting pebbles or dog s*** at you.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

March/April?!

The grass must grow slower over on Pluto.

As far as I'm concerned the only part of a mower that needs to work is the catcher. Nothing worse than a mower spitting pebbles or dog s*** at you.

It will be too cold in December, January, February. Especially on Pluto ?  It all depends what the dog has been eating tbf. 

• Haha 1

Â