Middlesbrough Match Thread

4 hours ago, Ponky said:

All three of their goals appear to have been a direct or indirect result of players up the pitch failing to execute a simple 10 metre pass to a teammate.

very true.

our issues arrive partially from not being decisive in the final third. We dilly dally, passing it sideways and back and forth, resulting in our fullbacks and centre kids pushing up to join in.

naturally, we then gift back possession and susceptible to a counter attack. Goals 2 and 3 were very much this.

the first goal was due to ayew waiting for the ball to come to him on the edge of our area and their attacker stole in first.

we need attackers that are effective and positive in their play. Ours either don't move, don't pass or don't look bothered.

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, that was quite something. Called out by a club legend like that, in public, on a commentary. 

But like other players too.....when will the penny drop that they are simply not good enough.

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We look miles off being different to last year. It will take time but not many promising signs today. 

It will only take time......IF we are on the right lines.

before we get fully repaired we should see little pockets of improvement along the way, something we can identify with RDM knowing what he is doing.

We will see.

How long our patience will last is anyones guess.

I would say that if things are poor still, we need some feasible explanations as to how this repair job is going to be achieved.

I still have a worry that in a couple of seasons from now, the same conversations will be made......Tony needs to make sure, we don't drift through another 6 years of promises it will get better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daweii said:

Bright side this will likely speed up any transfers we were after.

If we sign the right ones.....I have small faith in that.....but then again i could be pleasantly surprised if he makes a team from them.

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

What does everyone expect?! lol.

We've signed 2 outfield players and all of a sudden we'd be world beaters? Get used to this.

We need 5 more players, minimum. 

5 more..............Better than we already have

I was cringing at some of the chants, very small time from us.

First half when we looked in control and had the lead.

"Who are ya, who are ya"

"premier league you're having a laugh"

We then proceeded to show just how crap we really can be and looked very silly at the final whistle.

Edited by Genie

Been mulling over the game since Saturday. First half I was thinking we'd turned a corner. We weren't exactly scintillating or creative, but it was a tidy and solid display with us keeping a strong shape and not conceding much possession in danger areas. Around the hour mark though the old Villa failings resurfaced of course. It was bit before the goal I thought we'd started to look a bit shaky but obviously it all fell apart quickly after that.

The ball being given away in midfield was a big part of it I guess and so was the loss of shape. I was sitting with Boro fans (since a Boro mate of mine bought me a ticket for this one) so had a close-up view of the way we were torn apart on our left hand side again and again. Two of these led to the second and third goals but there could have been two more. For all of these Baker seemed to be left covering the central runner and the wide man and Cissokho was... nowhere to be seen. That Boro player with the short fairish hair (can't remember his name... mate did tell me...), just got behind on our left over and over again. I said after the third or fourth time you'd think someone in the Villa defence would figure out "damn, they keep doing that!" When Amavi came on he snuffed out the next two times the same play was made and so tightened us up there, as well as offering more at the attacking end of the pitch.

So maybe it's where I was sitting and what I could focus most easily on, but I thought Cissokho's positional sense (or lack of it) played a huge part in their second and third goals. I don't know why this became such an issue relatively late in the match - his fitness, or Boro figuring out a weakness in our back line - but unless Amavi plays a big part in the coming season LB looks like an area we need to strengthen urgently based on my viewing of that game.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

I was cringing at some of the chants, very small time from us.

First half when we looked in control and had the lead.

"Who are ya, who are ya"

"premier league you're having a laugh"

We then proceeded to show just how crap we really can be and looked very silly at the final whistle.

them chants probably aimed at our players ;)

Â