Nintendo Switch

Chindie

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

£65 is a lot, but not too much difference from a PS4 or XB1 controller?

Standard PS4 controller is £40.

Standard Xbox One controller is £44

There is a pretty high mark up on the Switch Pro controller for very little reason.

I can understand the Joy-cons being £75 because of the HD Rumble, Gyroscopes, NFC sensors and Kinect style IR sensors. There is an insane amount of expensive tech in those things, but that Pro controller is a basic dual analog stick controller. 

• Like 1

I love the concept, the idea and it genuinely looks great. What has let it down is the price, lack of games, price of extra stuff, still outdated online services and that paltry 32gb of internal memory. Oh and the battery life of the controllers. 

Such a shame as they had all this time to catch up and plan it properly but Ninty will never change. 

• Like 1

I really want Nintendo to outline what kind of storage medium they are using for the games.

I know they are using a card based medium, but that concerns me if they aren't using their own proprietary format. The biggest issue with card based storage like SD cards is they aren't great for continual insertion and removal like discs are. 

I assume it's some kind of proprietary card they have created that has the capacity and speed to stream games to and from it, but it needs to be durable. SD cards are great for storage (albeit very slow) especially in consoles where they get inserted and then never removed again, but for games I really hope Nintendo are using a more durable format than SD for the game cards.

That grip thing that you can slide the Joycons into to use like a normal controller? You get a free one with the console.

It is literally just a holder though. Want the one that also let's you charge the controllers? They'll sell you one.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Nintendo also continue their completely moronic approach to online by seemingly deciding that voice chat is best done via your phone.

Yeah. There is also talk that the Online isn't even shipping in time for most countries. Only America, Canada and Japan I think are set to get Online services with the Switch on launch day. The rest just have to sit and play everything in single player mode. 

Nintendo have said that to play online or have voice chat on the Switch you will need to do it through the app on a Smartphone, and that it won't be able to be done through the console itself. 

Who the **** has green flagged this console, everything apart from the initial idea of the console is a total joke. What happens if your phone breaks and has to be sent off? What if you don't have a smartphone? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Nintendo have said that to play online or have voice chat on the Switch you will need to do it through the app on a Smartphone, and that it won't be able to be done through the console itself. 

Who the **** has green flagged this console, everything apart from the initial idea of the console is a total joke. What happens if your phone breaks and has to be sent off? What if you don't have a smartphone? 

Satoru Iwata green lit the console and then died. So I'm not sure if he was serious at this point or was flat out trolling Nintendo as one last posthumous joke.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 00:52, Daweii said:

I really want Nintendo to outline what kind of storage medium they are using for the games.

I know they are using a card based medium, but that concerns me if they aren't using their own proprietary format. The biggest issue with card based storage like SD cards is they aren't great for continual insertion and removal like discs are. 

I assume it's some kind of proprietary card they have created that has the capacity and speed to stream games to and from it, but it needs to be durable. SD cards are great for storage (albeit very slow) especially in consoles where they get inserted and then never removed again, but for games I really hope Nintendo are using a more durable format than SD for the game cards.

You just have to blow on it and then shake it about. Last longer than cockroaches :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they've said that its a dedicated gaming machine so wont have many multimedia functions, ruled out netflix and media streaming apps

thats me done with it

That's not one of the things that has put me off to be honest, every other item in my house has netflix on it, I don't need any more.

to me it says that they have no interest in it working as a tablet which if they'd made it a £280 ipad competitor that had the advantage of playing zelda then it had a chance, to make it solely a games console is ridiculous

i really dont see what it offers

• Like 3

You're buying it for 10 Nintendo exclusives over it's entire lifetime, max. Same story it's been for the past decade. The Gamecube was the last time Nintendo released a home console with the aim of competing.

This is just half-baked though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

£45 to replay the same basic game of bomberman you've been able to play on the last million consoles.  I sit next to someone in work who's preordered a switch because he's "weak willed and likes shiny things" and told him it'd be like repackaging Street Fighter 2 and launching it on the Switch as a brand new game with much fanfare for £50 a pop.

He then pointed out that Ultra Street Fighter II was in fact being released.

Â