Nintendo Switch

Chindie

23 hours ago, villa89 said:

I fail to see why you'd bother using it on your TV other than to play it while it charges. It just seems to be an upgraded DS really with detachable controllers. As for 3rd party support, it'll be a disaster as per usual with nintendo. Plus Cartridges? Really?

I'm not sure cartridges are a bad idea at all.  They are basically just SD cards in a proprietary shell, they'll have faster read speeds than any disc or hard drive on the market currently does so it will be like playing games from a solid state drive.  I'd presume Nintendo will sell blank ones too to enable people to purchase games digitally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

The problem is that it will not be cheap compared to anything else. Even if it launches at £250 which seems unlikely given that this is stil pretty much the rrp for the basic wii-u that is still generally more expensive than the current ps4 slim & xbox one s can be purchased for and those are already bundled with 1/2 games. By next year the RRP of both is likely to be under £200 and chances are that will still be a bunde of some sort.

The same nintendo fans will buy it, the same mario/zelda games will eventually get released and every third party developer will dump it as soon as they see pre-order numbers/1st week sales of their first game.

I bought the Wii U at £179.99 because it was far cheaper than any other console at the time and the whole family can play it. I think the current RRPs are because it's not being pushed any more. At the time I'm sure the PS4 and XBone were more like £400. My recollection and subsequent understanding is that Nintendo = good value consoles that have games the whole family will enjoy, and the others are more for people who consider themselves hardcore gamers, wanting the latest hardware at any cost.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I bought the Wii U at £179.99 because it was far cheaper than any other console at the time and the whole family can play it. I think the current RRPs are because it's not being pushed any more. At the time I'm sure the PS4 and XBone were more like £400. My recollection and subsequent understanding is that Nintendo = good value consoles that have games the whole family will enjoy, and the others are more for people who consider themselves hardcore gamers, wanting the latest hardware at any cost.

the wii-u was launched in 2012 at £250 inthe uk for the basic version & £300 for the deluxe pack with 32gb storage & nintendoland game.

This was more expensive at the time than the xbox 360 slim (£150 for 4gb & £200 for 250gb with 2 games) & ps3 super slim (£185/250 for 12/500gb) so can't help but feel that the price coupled with a miniscule selection of games available at release was a major issue when going up against well established consoles with hundreds/thousands of games already available.

They are going to be in the same position again this time around and i just can't see it working.

Sure it's a novel idea i guess but there are quite literally hundreds of tablets starting at about £50 that will play games on the go, that is if people are even using a device other than their phone and as a home console it will be severely underpowered.

you can buy an nvidia shield k1 tablet for £160.

Im way more interested in this than a PS4 or Xbox. those things have little interest to me these days. I have had a PS1,2&3 btw.

Im obviously not a gamer. i dont spend enough time at home to be one. I maybe watch 30 mins of TV a day.

It seems more simple than those other consoles, where i could play a game of mariokart with the misses at home or on a train/plane.

I will wait for it to come out and check review etc but im interested.

Yeah, when I bought mine it was having a kind of renaissance. The best games had come out and the white edition was £180 which was far better value than the black edition if you just added your own USB storage. I seem to remember everything else being way more expensive at the time.

It's not really been that much of an issue though has it? They've sold about half of the amount of XBone and about a third of the PS4. Not up to the massive success of the Wii obviously but not exactly a flop?

Not sure how this will sell. Looks a bit too gimicky to me. But so did the Wii.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Be interesting to see if you can use to watch films tv shows (have netflicks or amazon prime) on it, i think it would be silly not to

My Wii U is the only place I can watch Amazon Prime video. Apart from the PS3 but that only gets switched on for Singstar at parties these days

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

By the way I have a Wii U, i think its actually  a great console just poorly advertised and not enough games

This is the same problem for all nintendo consoles for a long time. They just have the usual Zelda, Mario, etc. games and nothing else of note due to a lack of 3rd party support. Expect more of the same with the switch.  

30 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is the same problem for all nintendo consoles for a long time. They just have the usual Zelda, Mario, etc. games and nothing else of note due to a lack of 3rd party support. Expect more of the same with the switch.  

Yes this is the big problem for me they simply do not release enough games. I will wiat and see how they plan to address this before thinking of purchasing. Really if they have  alack of 3rd party support why not bring out more mario games, sonic Zelda games than just the usual one title per console. I think if this flops nintendo are finished 

nintendo would be far better off just making games for other systems. wii-u has sold about 13.5 million units worldwide in 4 years, selling an additional 90 million games (not all made by nintendo) for the system.

Imagine how many copies of Mario Kart/Zelda/Pokemon etc they would shift if the released them to a combined install base of 70 million+ on PS4 & Xbox one.

It is not uncommon for AAA titles to sell 3-5 million units each on both ps4 & xbox with some games shifting more than a million in the first week alone and the market for something like mario kart/Zelda is so huge that they could easily sell 5-10 million units per game,  if not significantly more and make more money from those games alone than they have made over the entire lifespan of the wii-u

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

nintendo would be far better off just making games for other systems. wii-u has sold about 13.5 million units worldwide in 4 years, selling an additional 90 million games (not all made by nintendo) for the system.

Imagine how many copies of Mario Kart/Zelda/Pokemon etc they would shift if the released them to a combined install base of 70 million+ on PS4 & Xbox one.

It is not uncommon for AAA titles to sell 3-5 million units each on both ps4 & xbox with some games shifting more than a million in the first week alone and the market for something like mario kart/Zelda is so huge that they could easily sell 5-10 million units per game,  if not significantly more and make more money from those games alone than they have made over the entire lifespan of the wii-u

I'd be gutted if they did as I dont get care what anyone says for playing with friends, Nintendo wipes the floor with Xbox and play station. Consoles might not be as powerful but the multiplayer fun aspect wins hands down in my view

16 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

the game would be the same, why does it matter what system it is played on?

Playing mario kart 9 on PS4 would still be playing mario kart...

The mutlti player systems for me are different, the game might be but how you play it wouldnt.  For example you would have to use their controllers, I much prefer Nintendos to xbox for example. 

A leak via Eurogamer suggests the screen is 6.2 inches @ 720p and is touchscreen. One of the joy-cons has a IR sensor to enable touch screen features on the big screen, kinda like a wiimote. Nothing on price or battery power.

• 3 weeks later...
Â