Nintendo Switch

Chindie

Ok so I've pretty much done with BOTW now, as I'm not going around trying to find all the korok seeds! Think there are one or two side missions I've missed somewhere and there are a few bits of armour I'm yet to upgrade, but that's it.

So I've tried to play Mario Odyssey again and I just can't get into it. The last Mario games I played properly were on the Snes and I loved them, and obviously we're several generations down the line now but I just don't see the appeal of this. I don't know if part of it is playing it after the expansive open world of Zelda or what, but despite the look of the game being interesting it's just not grabbing me at all. 

7 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Ok so I've pretty much done with BOTW now, as I'm not going around trying to find all the korok seeds! Think there are one or two side missions I've missed somewhere and there are a few bits of armour I'm yet to upgrade, but that's it.

So I've tried to play Mario Odyssey again and I just can't get into it. The last Mario games I played properly were on the Snes and I loved them, and obviously we're several generations down the line now but I just don't see the appeal of this. I don't know if part of it is playing it after the expansive open world of Zelda or what, but despite the look of the game being interesting it's just not grabbing me at all. 

I bought both games on Boxing Day, and I found both of them to be incredible in the small amount of time I spent with them, with Odyssey just edging out BoTW for now. That game is just breathtaking.

My first ever game was Super Mario Bros and I spent a good decade playing nothing but that and SMB3 before I got an N64 and played Mario 64 for the first time. Playing Odyssey was a similarly astonishing feeling, and one I didn't get from either Galaxy's or Sunshine. Have you ever played Super Mario 64?

8 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Im suprised you didnt like odyssey. I preferred it to sunshine and galaxy personally

Again though I've not really played Mario since Mario World on the Snes, so don't have any experience of 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. Think I might have played 64 briefly at a mate's house when I was younger but can't really remember. Don't know if it's that I just don't really feel the connection with Mario any more now - as daft as it sounds, I'd prefer it to still be in 2D!

Ni No Kuni is really really not clicking with me so in the market for another Switch game to occupy me during the lockdown :D 

I've already got

Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda BOTW, Ori and the Blind Forest, Two Point Hospital, Ni No Kuni... I think that's it

Suggestions welcome

Edited by Stevo985
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Again though I've not really played Mario since Mario World on the Snes, so don't have any experience of 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. Think I might have played 64 briefly at a mate's house when I was younger but can't really remember. Don't know if it's that I just don't really feel the connection with Mario any more now - as daft as it sounds, I'd prefer it to still be in 2D!

I think the newer 3D Mario's will click more if you play 64, where all of the tropes of the 3D series were established. Honestly, to this day it's still the best Mario's ever controlled. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ni No Kuni is really really not clicking with me so in the market for another Switch game to occupy me during the lockdown :D 

I've already got

Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda BOTW, Ori and the Blind Forest, Two Point Hospital, Ni No Kuni... I think that's it

Suggestions welcome

Has to be Animal Crossing, closely followed by Luigi's Mansion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jim said:

Has to be Animal Crossing, closely followed by Luigi's Mansion.

I’ve got Luigi’s Mansion and not really that into it. I might give it another crack. 

Animal Crossing is a good shout. One the missus can play too!

Beware with Animal Crossing, theres something weird about having multiple accounts on a single machine or something. Either you can't do it or you can't visit each others villages from the same machine or something.

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Beware with Animal Crossing, theres something weird about having multiple accounts on a single machine or something. Either you can't do it or you can't visit each others villages from the same machine or something.

You can have more than one account but there is only one island per console so you are all on the same one. Also if playing local multiplayer only the leader ( the first person who sets the game up) can do any of the tasks, the second player is very limited as to what they can do. 

I've been enjoying Animal Crossing, but because there's no real aim of the game, I keep stopping and thinking "Well this is pointless, what am I doing?".

But then I suppose every game is pointless when you think of it like that, the point of every game is to have fun I guess.

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I've been enjoying Animal Crossing, but because there's no real aim of the game, I keep stopping and thinking "Well this is pointless, what am I doing?".

But then I suppose every game is pointless when you think of it like that, the point of every game is to have fun I guess.

That’s a bit like I used to feel with minecraft. Fantastic game but what is the actual point of it?

The only one island per console thing for Animal Crossing is very strange

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Have you been listening to giant bomb? 

They make it sound like something thats initially enjoyable, then frustrating almost to the point of futile

Have a look at octopath traveller @Stevo985 that got really good reviews 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Have you been listening to giant bomb? 

They make it sound like something thats initially enjoyable, then frustrating almost to the point of futile

Have a look at octopath traveller @Stevo985 that got really good reviews 

It first was something I was aware of when it was discussed on the Computer Game Show. One of the guys on there adores Animal Crossing, and so does the rest of his family. So to make sure he could play the game without his family wrecking his island he ended up buying 4 copies of the game and 2 more Switches :crylaugh:

Jeff on Giantbomb isn't ever going to be the kind of person that gets on with Animal Crossing, and especially it's idiosyncrasies. Him kinda hating the game is no shock.

Edit - Octopath Traveler is a really good game, and beautiful, but if you're not down an old school turn based JRPG, which I don't think @Stevo985 is, it's not for you.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s a bit like I used to feel with minecraft. Fantastic game but what is the actual point of it?

The only one island per console thing for Animal Crossing is very strange

Nintendo are very precious about the 'integrity' of Animal Crossing. They've always been like it, from the very first game having a character that literally berated you if you dared to not save before turning the game off (that they ditched in later games because he upset children). The single Island per console will undoubtedly be a result of them not wanting people to manipulate the game by running multiple islands at the same time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It first was something I was aware of wren it was discussed on the Computer Game Show. I've if the guys on there adores Animal Crossing, and so does the rest of his family. So to make sure he could play the game without his family wrecking his island he ended up buying 4 copies of the game and 2 more Switches :crylaugh:

Jeff on Giantbomb isn't ever going to be the kind of person that gets on with Animal Crossing, and especially it's idiosyncrasies. Him kinda hating the game is no shock.

Edit - Octopath Traveler is a really good game, and beautiful, but if you're not down an old school turn based JRPG, which I don't think @Stevo985 is, it's not for you.

No. The turn based stuff is one of the reasons Ni No Kuni isn’t clicking with me. I absolutely hate it. 

It’s such an unnatural method of “combat” and it’s so invasive to any exploration part of a game. I genuinely hate it. 
I’m still hoping the story and the rest of the gameplay is good enough on Ni No Kuni for me to get over it. But it’s a struggle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No. The turn based stuff is one of the reasons Ni No Kuni isn’t clicking with me. I absolutely hate it. 

It’s such an unnatural method of “combat” and it’s so invasive to any exploration part of a game. I genuinely hate it. 
I’m still hoping the story and the rest of the gameplay is good enough on Ni No Kuni for me to get over it. But it’s a struggle

The only turn based combat I've ever enjoyed was the one in Chrono Trigger as it's actually fun. Oh and Pokemon of course. Outside of that I usually audibly groan during battles in RPG's.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

The only turn based combat I've ever enjoyed was the one in Chrono Trigger as it's actually fun. Oh and Pokemon of course. Outside of that I usually audibly groan during battles in RPG's.

It's the only reason I've never gotten into pokemon either. 

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Nintendo are very precious about the 'integrity' of Animal Crossing. They've always been like it, from the very first game having a character that literally berated you if you dared to not save before turning the game off (that they ditched in later games because he upset children). The single Island per console will undoubtedly be a result of them not wanting people to manipulate the game by running multiple islands at the same time.

So does the one island per console mean that you effectively can't really have two accounts playing the game?

Or could two people play it perfectly fine whilst sharing an island?

(I have no concept of how big these islands are :) )

Â