Nintendo Switch

Chindie

On 24/03/2020 at 11:09, Designer1 said:

Theres a good 150 hours in Ni No Kuni so you should be ok 😉

One of the best games ever so I'm a bit jealous you're getting to play it for the first time.

On 24/03/2020 at 11:33, Stevo985 said:

We've talked about it before but I hate turn based RPGs. But I'm hoping the quality of this one makes me get over it. VT has been raving about it for years so it must be good!

First impressions are good. It feels lovely, just a calming beautiful game. I still don’t like the turn based nature but hopefully it’ll click. 

my only complaint is I’ve played it for over an hour and there’s been about 10 minutes of actual gameplay. So many cutscenes

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

my only complaint is I’ve played it for over an hour and there’s been about 10 minutes of actual gameplay. So many cutscenes

After the first hour or so they become much less frequent. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

After the first hour or so they become much less frequent. 

Good to know.

The turn based combat and generally how encountering a "beasty" is made into a whole event still bothers me massively having played my first couple of hours, but I'm hoping the story is good enough that it won't matter

I'm tempted to get this for easter. Was looking at the switch and it's £ 450 or £ 570 with two games. 

The Lite is half the price. 

Considering it's only ever for handheld couch gaming, and it won't ever be hooked up on my TV, should I get the lite or not? Pros cons? 

An All Stars 2 is an excellent idea. More work needed than might be immediately obvious though - I don't think they can justify just porting 64, that needs a full remake, Sunshine is dog dirt but just needs a control tweak, Galaxy could do with the motion controls optioned out, 3D World should be ok. If they did 3D Land, which is a really good game, that'll need a tweak as it has puzzles designed for 3D play.

With this being Nintendo, what they'll actually do is release each as a full price game with absolute minimum work. 64 will get a half arsed remaster, they'll port Sunshine straight, and Galaxy will be a port of the Android Chinese release, and they'll ignore 3D Land.

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

An All Stars 2 is an excellent idea. More work needed than might be immediately obvious though - I don't think they can justify just porting 64, that needs a full remake, Sunshine is dog dirt but just needs a control tweak, Galaxy could do with the motion controls optioned out, 3D World should be ok. If they did 3D Land, which is a really good game, that'll need a tweak as it has puzzles designed for 3D play.

With this being Nintendo, what they'll actually do is release each as a full price game with absolute minimum work. 64 will get a half arsed remaster, they'll port Sunshine straight, and Galaxy will be a port of the Android Chinese release, and they'll ignore 3D Land.

I hope they are HD mario 64. That would be of the greatest masterpieces ever for a mario game

Mario 64 with a ground up remake in the Odyssey engine, that's a masterpiece in the making.

If they aren't up for that much effort, it's a losing battle. You can't just up res Mario 64, for a start it'll look diabolical but I also don't think it'll control that well these days on modern controller. And ultimately I kinda think if you're going to go back to Mario 64 at this point, you need to go full in on it and blow the doors off it. Otherwise it kinda feels like just another port that, thanks to the age of the game, just feels a bit of a let down, and not really a celebration.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm tempted to get this for easter. Was looking at the switch and it's £ 450 or £ 570 with two games. 

The Lite is half the price. 

Considering it's only ever for handheld couch gaming, and it won't ever be hooked up on my TV, should I get the lite or not? Pros cons? 

Unless you are in an immediate rush it is probably just better waiting for restocks of the standard version if you want that rather than the lite. Prices are crazy because all the big stores are sold out but the rrp is £279.99 in the uk for the new version with improved battery. Smyths are advertising stock due in sometime in the next week or so and imagine others will also have them. Game & a couple of other places have had some stocks of PS4 consoles that were sold out over the past 24 hours

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Unless you are in an immediate rush it is probably just better waiting for restocks of the standard version if you want that rather than the lite. Prices are crazy because all the big stores are sold out but the rrp is £279.99 in the uk for the new version with improved battery. Smyths are advertising stock due in sometime in the next week or so and imagine others will also have them. Game & a couple of other places have had some stocks of PS4 consoles that were sold out over the past 24 hours

I'm not sure a restock will help the prices here. It's really expensive cause the Norwegian kroner is really weak now due to the oil collapse. 

But in terms of the standard version vs the lite. Is the big difference the size of the screen and not much else? I won't hook it up on a TV either way. Is the ergonomics different in terms of holding it? 

I've been thinking I want Zelda, Diablo and WRC8. Are they as good as they look? 

Has anyone played Fifa 20 on the Switch and can comment on how the online is? I know it's a legacy version and all of that. I have no access to a PS4 or XB1 or anything, haven't bought Fifa for years but wonder if a bit of FUT might be fun for a bit. It's on sale here in Spain, so I can get it for £28 physical and sell it when I'm done, so the money isn't that bad (even considering the laziness of the production).

5 hours ago, Rolta said:

Has anyone played Fifa 20 on the Switch and can comment on how the online is? I know it's a legacy version and all of that. I have no access to a PS4 or XB1 or anything, haven't bought Fifa for years but wonder if a bit of FUT might be fun for a bit. It's on sale here in Spain, so I can get it for £28 physical and sell it when I'm done, so the money isn't that bad (even considering the laziness of the production).

Haven't played online but I bought it on sale this weekend and was quite disappointed with it. Didn't realize what Legacy Edition meant until I played it. It's not even a better footie game than PES 2007 that I've been playing on my PS2. The players all feel identical. I'll give the online a go though as I understand that's where most of the fun with these games are had.

On 06/04/2020 at 12:42, villa4europe said:

If you haven't played fifa in years then you might be in for a shock as to how poor that series has gone regardless of console / edition 

Its proper shit

It really opened my eyes to how much better a football game PES is. I've been playing it from PES 2011 - 2018 (haven't had a proper PC to play it on recently), and every single one of those games are light years better than FIFA 20. You can actually edit players for one. Once the patching community get their hands on those games, it's almost like you're controlling their real life counterparts. Here, apart from Messi and maybe De Bruyne, every player feels like carbon cutout footballers. No personality at all. It does feel decidedly less arcade-y than I remember FIFA being though.

On 02/04/2020 at 22:27, Chindie said:

Mario 64 with a ground up remake in the Odyssey engine, that's a masterpiece in the making.

If they aren't up for that much effort, it's a losing battle. You can't just up res Mario 64, for a start it'll look diabolical but I also don't think it'll control that well these days on modern controller. And ultimately I kinda think if you're going to go back to Mario 64 at this point, you need to go full in on it and blow the doors off it. Otherwise it kinda feels like just another port that, thanks to the age of the game, just feels a bit of a let down, and not really a celebration.

If its a straight to port with n64 graphics that would be such a flop.

Im wondering if they will take elements of the n64 and 3ds remaster it and make a newish game with HD graphics.  If thats the case will be very exciting indeed

I disagree with you all about FIFA but i have little to compare it with. I havnt owned a console in  awhile, and it was a Wii (Madden on Wii possibly my favourite game ever)

I used to play Fifa as a kid and loved it, but the main issue was i could only play against my brother or friends. Online was a thing just about but never really used it. 

Now i play FIFA against someone roughly the same standard as me every time i want to play and go up and down divisions depending on how well i play. 

I love it it and play it more than my other games, including Zelda

On 29/03/2020 at 09:58, Stevo985 said:

First impressions are good. It feels lovely, just a calming beautiful game. I still don’t like the turn based nature but hopefully it’ll click. 

Struggling to connect with this. It’s a lovely looking game and the story seems good but the combat completely turns me off and the sheer amount of cutscenes and dialogue drives me Absolutely crazy. 

I just want to play and I’m constantly hammering A to get through pages of dialogue. And then I walk three paces and there’s a beastie I have to fight which takes a stupid amount of time for a tiny enemy fight. 

Edited by Stevo985

Â