Nintendo Switch

Chindie

its the portable thing that does it for me. I have no interest in a PS or XBox, im mostly too busy with my day to day life to be able to spend much time with them anyway. However as said, looks like it would be decent for travelling. 

Flying to the states or wherever with my GF and we could be playing mario cart against each on the plane.

I really dont need the best graphics or anything, just something fun to pass the time, when i havnt got a good book

Looks very innovative.  I'd expect nothing less from Nintendo on that front in fairness.  It's trying to tick as many boxes as it can in order to be as useful as it can.  If the hardware specs can measure up and the game choices are popular then they may be on to another winner.  Once again I have to take my hat off to Nintendo.  The perceived poor relation to the big 2 having to out-think them to stay relevant. 

Early opinions? Very mixed from other websites, but it looks like a GameBoy mixed with a Wii U. And all you'd have to do to play your games on your TV is take your Wii U there and plug it in, and I'd prefer to just go on my phone when travelling anyway

I'm more interested than I was with the Wii U.  I think it might be a good one to get to play with the kids. It all depends on price of course but Nintendo hardware tends to be cheap and I'd expect it to be less than £300. 

On 10/21/2016 at 16:34, LakotaDakota said:

apparently battery life on the devkits is an absolute maximum of 3 hours

Yeah hoping a lot of that is due to them having the less efficient Tegra X1 chip in them.

The retail unit is meant to be based on a custom version of the new Tegra X2 which is designed around performance while retaining battery life.

Even if they manage to double the time to 6 hours in the retail unit that'll be pretty decent for a handheld pushing close to Xbox One-like power.

If this thing comes out with near Xbox one power and a real world 6 hour portable battery life Nintendo have either quietly developed the worlds best battery, or should be investigated for witchcraft.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

There's no way that thing is going to be as powerful as an Xbone. It's running on an ARM based chip, it's going to be more like a kickass iPad than a current gen console. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There's no way that thing is going to be as powerful as an Xbone. It's running on an ARM based chip, it's going to be more like a kickass iPad than a current gen console. 

So you might get 3-4 hours use out of it if your lucky 

I fail to see why you'd bother using it on your TV other than to play it while it charges. It just seems to be an upgraded DS really with detachable controllers. As for 3rd party support, it'll be a disaster as per usual with nintendo. Plus Cartridges? Really?

Edited by villa89

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

I fail to see why you'd bother using it on your TV other than to play it while it charges. It just seems to be an upgraded DS really with detachable controllers. As for 3rd party support, it'll be a disaster as per usual with nintendo. Plus Cartridges? Really?

A lot of people will be using it on their TV as this is a home console, Nintendo even state as such.

Nintendo Switch is a home console that improves on the limited portability of the Wii U. It is not an exclusive portable and if it was it would have a vastly better battery life.

Anyone using this as a portable will be disappointed by how limited it truly is as a 4 hour plane ride would be too much for this.

So think of this as a more powerful Wii U that can go further a field than another room for a few hours.

16 hours ago, Daweii said:

A lot of people will be using it on their TV as this is a home console, Nintendo even state as such.

It doesn't really matter what nintendo say, what matters is how people will actually use it. If it's primarily a home console then it's seriously underpowered and as you say if you are using it as a portable device then the battery life isn't long enough. If the only benefit of using it as a console is going from 540p to 1080p it's a handheld in my eyes. It's essentially the Wii 3. Release an underpowered, relatively cheap console before Sony and MS can release their new generation and hope that you can find a niche and sell a few based on a gimmick and trotting out the usual IPs. It's an interesting approach but one that's doomed to failure IMO.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

It doesn't really matter what nintendo say, what matters is how people will actually use it. If it's primarily a home console then it's seriously underpowered and as you say if you are using it as a portable device then the battery life isn't long enough. If the only benefit of using it as a console is going from 540p to 1080p it's a handheld in my eyes. It's essentially the Wii 3. Release an underpowered, relatively cheap console before Sony and MS can release their new generation and hope that you can find a niche and sell a few based on a gimmick and trotting out the usual IPs. It's an interesting approach but one that's doomed to failure IMO.

Define failure though?

Don't Nintendo normally make money on hardware as opposed to MS and Sony who just want to get the hardware in your hands?

As most of the game library will be first party they will make money on all of those games sold.

Even if its not doing the numbers of the bigger systems I don't think they will mind.

34 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Define failure though?

Don't Nintendo normally make money on hardware as opposed to MS and Sony who just want to get the hardware in your hands?

As most of the game library will be first party they will make money on all of those games sold.

Even if its not doing the numbers of the bigger systems I don't think they will mind.

I guess I meant a failure like the Wii U was. I'm not sure if nintendo did make money from it but I suspect it didn't meet their expectations. The reason I think they are doomed to failure is that they are trying to find a niche all the time and are desparate to have some gimmicky unique selling point. In the long term you'll get that wrong more than you get it right IMO.

The problem is that it will not be cheap compared to anything else. Even if it launches at £250 which seems unlikely given that this is stil pretty much the rrp for the basic wii-u that is still generally more expensive than the current ps4 slim & xbox one s can be purchased for and those are already bundled with 1/2 games. By next year the RRP of both is likely to be under £200 and chances are that will still be a bunde of some sort.

The same nintendo fans will buy it, the same mario/zelda games will eventually get released and every third party developer will dump it as soon as they see pre-order numbers/1st week sales of their first game.

Â