Nintendo Switch

Chindie

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

That's the thing for me, I love Zelda and Mario games, but I can't justify spending nearly £300 on a new console just for two or three games.

Although, if this is the only way of playing pokemon... :huh:

Yeah I can understand that it is a lot to pay and that's without factoring in all the additional stuff;

If you get something like ARMS and want to play local multiplayer with a mate that game is £40 + £75 for an additional set of Joy-con's as each player holds one in each hand.

If you get into some more hardcore kind of games like shooters then the Pro controller is likely better used and that is £65.

The system has promise and like you said Pokemon in the future could tempt a lot of people into buying one. Even if Pokemon isn't exclusive to Switch just seeing the visual difference between it and 3DS will likely be enough. 

It is expensive though. Saying that if it does that badly it'll likely be £180 by Christmas.

• Like 1

£280 with mario bundled by christmas would be my guess 

2 1st party AAA exclusives a year released months apart with then some shovelware and adapted versions of 3rd party games...its been like that since the GC, they really dont see it do they?

No confirmation of Mario X Rabbids! Booo. That'd bring in the sales. Fear not, a brand new MegaTen game will surely have the punters reaching for their wallet!...right...?

21 minutes ago, Daweii said:

It is expensive though. Saying that if it does that badly it'll likely be £180 by Christmas.

I'd doubt it. Nintendo won't slash prices 9 months after launch even if the console is dying.

• Like 1

Not fussed on this at all. Shame really as it is quite a good idea overall. However, I just don't see how it would fit into my gaming routine and the price is a joke.

I'll be picking 'Breath of the Wild' up on my Wii U and will be sticking with that console and the PS4. I really don't see the point in picking up a Switch at all and can't see myself being swayed. Nice little idea but it doesn't really do anything special...

Edited by briggaman

Has flop written all over it. I may have jumped at £200 but the best part of £350 with a game for what is essentially a handheld is suicide IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same.

There's a part of me that reluctantly wants Nintendo to fail so it starts just producing games for other consoles.

Zelda on my PS4. That's the dream!

Exactly.

Why they don't do the obvious thing and just become a games developer I don't know. Imagine the bankroll releasing all their massive IPs onto both XBOX and PS systems.

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'd doubt it. Nintendo won't slash prices 9 months after launch even if the console is dying.

They have form at quickly dropping prices if something is struggling - they've done it with the N64 and 3DS before now.

They won't drop £100 off it but I'd not be surprised to see them be much closer to £200 by year end.

This is just WiiU 2. The problem is that idea doesn't sell. It didn't before and it won't now, even refined. And the price is awful. And the lineup? An interesting Zelda they're releasing on the WiiU anyway, a really bizarre looking Mario in 9 months (honestly the Sonic Adventure vibes off it are terrifying. It even looks a bit like a Dreamcast title in art style). And some Wii U rereleases. The rest is either exceptionally niche or dreadful looking.

They actively need to do a Sega at this point.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Exactly.

Why they don't do the obvious thing and just become a games developer I don't know. Imagine the bankroll releasing all their massive IPs onto both XBOX and PS systems.

they could probably make more money from a couple of mario HD collections on the other 2 consoles than they will with the switch

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they could probably make more money from a couple of mario HD collections on the other 2 consoles than they will with the switch

A full handheld style Pokemon on PS4, Xbox One and PC with proper graphics and a larger less rigid open world would sell 40+ million copies easily. 

Nintendo are a unique company in that they have so many properties that gamers grew up with and love. Their issue is that their fans have grown tired of buying new hardware just to play those games. Nintendo would find great success in bringing those games to their fans, instead of expecting their fans to come to their games.

they've still not confirmed if it'll run apps such as netflix

share prices have dropped again too, i also hadnt seen that it was the game developers conference had surveyed their members and released a "state of the industry", apparently 50% of them said they thought it would sell better than the wii, probably more worryingly 3% of them said they were working on switch games (if you want a comparison 13% are working on PSVR which also has hardly any games for it), their main concern was that its not actually very innovative

They tend to take their time with their key characters in their standard titles, so they usually end up on different platforms.

Also frankly there's only so much you can do with these genre defining titles to differentiate them, so releasing them too quickly and closely together will lead to burn out on them. Frankly after 25 years of the same bloody boomerang, you could argue even with the timescale they've stuck to Zelda is starting to get old, and Mario hasn't done anything truly ground breaking since the N64.

Their big problems aren't their lineup and schedule. The problems are sitting in a niche that doesn't exist, hopeless 3rd party support, and slow backwards approaches to things like online.

They need to give up on consoles.

• Like 2

Those prices appear to be correct incidentally.

They're insane. Utterly, utterly insane. £65 for a Pro Controller. Madness.

And those 'Joy Cons', the micro Wiimotes? They appear to be an ergonomic and functional nightmare when used as separate controllers. And it's £75 if you want to buy another pair.

if you want an extra one of those docking stations so you can move it round your house and to other peoples houses etc, you know like the original advert kind of suggested...that'll be $90

joy con charger £25

store case for when you go portable £17

I wonder when this flops will they release a version that has has the peripherals that you actually need like a pro controller, second joy con(s), case, memory card all included for the original price. Not that I'd even buy it then but it might be an idea given the ridiculous pricing from Nintendo.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Those prices appear to be correct incidentally.

They're insane. Utterly, utterly insane. £65 for a Pro Controller. Madness.

And those 'Joy Cons', the micro Wiimotes? They appear to be an ergonomic and functional nightmare when used as separate controllers. And it's £75 if you want to buy another pair.

£65 is a lot, but not too much difference from a PS4 or XB1 controller?

Â