Nintendo Switch

Chindie

13 minutes ago, Dick said:

Mario Odyssey is just so good.

Definitely get a switch if you are a casual gamer, that's what I am now, and my switch is what I use.

My OH has given it a whirl too. She hasn't played a video game for probably 15 years apart from the odd go on mario kart.

She is enjoying it but it's funny how you don't realise how hard games can be for people who aren't used to it. She was totally lost on the first level of Odyssey.

Gave me more understanding as to why they need such basic tutorials on games like this :D 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you're interested in casual games like that then yeah it's definitely worth it.

I got Mario Odyssesy on Saturday and gave it an hour or two. Feels lovely so far.

It's a awesome game. But as you will find it will be impossible to find every moon without YouTube. 

But what a game.

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

Is getting a Switch worthwhile? I've currently got a PS4 but am thinking of cashing it in because I don't play it all that much apart from FIFA. Was thinking a Switch might be better to get my wife interested as she's not a massive gamer and games like Mario Kart & Party would be easy quick fun to play. 

I can't comment on everyone else but I ended up selling the ps4 as I enjoy the switch so much more. 2019 is going to be a huge year for switch and I think it is going from strength to strength. 

The switch is doing far better Ethan that flop wii u

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It's a awesome game. But as you will find it will be impossible to find every moon without YouTube. 

Yeah I already got that impression. I only did the fossil waterfall level (the one with the dinosaur). exhausted the hints from the parrot and the little mushroom fella you can pay for hints and I'm still 5 moons short.

I assume you don't need them all to finish the game?

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I already got that impression. I only did the fossil waterfall level (the one with the dinosaur). exhausted the hints from the parrot and the little mushroom fella you can pay for hints and I'm still 5 moons short.

I assume you don't need them all to finish the game?

Some are you just running around and might feel a small area vibrate and there is a moon there. Unless you have about 1000 hours to spare I don’t see how you can get all the moons without YouTubing some of them.

there are 999 moons I got about 740 I think the rest were just ridiculously hard so I gave up. You don’t need all of them to complete the game which is good. But I think the amount of moons means you stop playing after you hit around the 600 mark. It should have been like 64. Have like 6 or7 moons per level and just make more worlds.

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Had no idea Civ 6 was out on Switch.

Looks like I'll be playing a bit of that over Xmas 😀

Either did i!

There is a big sale on the eshop at the moment.  

I just grabbed capcom beat em up collection for £12, some Friday the 13th game and  couple others for less than £25

I dunno. The GameCube was a really good console (even spec wise iirc for the time) but suffered like the N64 did for third party titles. Still it had a really good library of stuff on it.

The Wii was obviously a huge commercial success, and it's library of games was ludicrously big, unfortunately a lot of it was shit. Waggle controls were bollocks in all but a tiny handful of games. Again it had a decent core of good titles though. It basically signified Nintendo giving up on the hardware race (underneath it's pretty much a GameCube), and gave them huge success.

Wii U was a holding pattern console. It's basically taking the ideas of the Wii and the DS, with the earliest kernels of the idea for the Switch, and melding them together. The tablet controller idea never really got used to any great degree (Super Mario Maker aside), it never got the third party support, they **** up on marketing it, and nobody bought one. Again, it's got a handful of great titles, which mean a lot of people actually rate it as a console. 

The Switch has a decent library already, including a couple of genuine classics, it's an excellent platform for indie games (hence nearly every indie darling of the last 5 years being ported to it), the portable/home console mix genuinely works, it's decently powerful. It's faults are a smaller battery than you'd like, slightly lower quality screen, and the controllers are a bit awkward (especially in the 2 player mode, the one controller layout is horrible). But it's a very good bit of kit and probably the best home console they've done since the GameCube. It's not really competing with the PS4 or Xbox still, but it is the defacto second console.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 22:59, Chindie said:

I dunno. The GameCube was a really good console (even spec wise iirc for the time) but suffered like the N64 did for third party titles. Still it had a really good library of stuff on it.

The Wii was obviously a huge commercial success, and it's library of games was ludicrously big, unfortunately a lot of it was shit. Waggle controls were bollocks in all but a tiny handful of games. Again it had a decent core of good titles though. It basically signified Nintendo giving up on the hardware race (underneath it's pretty much a GameCube), and gave them huge success.

Wii U was a holding pattern console. It's basically taking the ideas of the Wii and the DS, with the earliest kernels of the idea for the Switch, and melding them together. The tablet controller idea never really got used to any great degree (Super Mario Maker aside), it never got the third party support, they **** up on marketing it, and nobody bought one. Again, it's got a handful of great titles, which mean a lot of people actually rate it as a console. 

The Switch has a decent library already, including a couple of genuine classics, it's an excellent platform for indie games (hence nearly every indie darling of the last 5 years being ported to it), the portable/home console mix genuinely works, it's decently powerful. It's faults are a smaller battery than you'd like, slightly lower quality screen, and the controllers are a bit awkward (especially in the 2 player mode, the one controller layout is horrible). But it's a very good bit of kit and probably the best home console they've done since the GameCube. It's not really competing with the PS4 or Xbox still, but it is the defacto second console.

I agree about the GameCube that was a great console but like you say it suffered from a lack of good game titles. The wii was great but the novelty wore off after a while. 

I actually like the wii u it had great games but again as you say it was very poorly marketed and people didn't understand what it was.

The switch for me has been brilliant. I love mine. It's obviously not as powerful as Xbox or ps4 but I think its looking to exploit  a area that neither has and it dies it very well. Only thing that sucks about the switch is the lack of party chat. That's really lame. They had it in the wii u so why have they not put this on the switch? 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Smash brothers on the switch is a absolute masterpiece 

What a game

Had it for Christmas. Not had chance to play it yet though :( 

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Get on it ita fecking brilliant 

Had a quick go earlier, I hadn’t got a clue what the **** was going on 😂

47 minutes ago, Dick said:

Bought Diablo, but can't play it. Left analogue has a mind of its own, keeps drifting down. Needs to be sent off for repair, pretty pissed off.

One of my controllers is a bit off. The one I got with the switch originally. 

It goes brought little phases when I’m playing of not recognising the inputs properly. So Link will start running round aimlessly or not moving at all, or swinging his sword like a maniac. 

Googled it ages ago and sounded like a common issue. Nintendo’s response was basically there’s nothing wrong with it, try not playing near a fish tank (no, seriously)

recently bought a wireless pro controller and its flawless. Not a single issue. So blatantly is something wrong with that original controller. 

6 hours ago, Dick said:

There is definitely an issue, plenty are complaining about it. Just annoyed that I was looking forward to Diablo and now have to wait.

What a shame Diablo is a great game. Let me know if you wanna have a go online as trust me you need help

Â