Nintendo Switch

Chindie

So I had a go on a mate's Switch last night and I loved it. The handheld mode is flawless and Mario Kart looked amazing. Didn't see it in docked mode.

It could be so much better though. If it had more power, a decent online system and backwards compatibility for 3DS games, Wii games etc it could be bigger than the PS4 IMO. Why do they make these decisions?

I like what they've done with the Switch. If they're not going to make a direct competitor to Sony/MS as far as hardware goes this is a pretty unique way of going about it. When/if the virtual console comes to the Switch they'll have a really good thing here.

Bought one last week as i've not really touched anything Nintendo since the 64. Love it so far, I don't expect it to run huge third party games - if they can make exclusives like Zelda, MK and Splatoon even semi consistently I'll be satisfied.

17 hours ago, villarule123 said:

So I had a go on a mate's Switch last night and I loved it. The handheld mode is flawless and Mario Kart looked amazing. Didn't see it in docked mode.

It could be so much better though. If it had more power, a decent online system and backwards compatibility for 3DS games, Wii games etc it could be bigger than the PS4 IMO. Why do they make these decisions?

Because that would mean improved, more expensive hardware which would either mean they price most gamers out of buying their system over an Xbox or PS4 or they keep the price low and make less of a profit on it, if any at all.

They're not stupid. They realise they hold a number of cards regarding to the sheer amount of IP only available on the Nintendo platform and that's what will get people buying their consoles whilst ensuring they make a tidy profit.

As long as they improve the hardware a little from the last generation and offer a huge Mario and Zelda game they know the product will sell, that and introducing some new gimmick in the hope that's enough to cover for the fact they're so far behind Microsoft and Sony in regards to online play and home media.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, zak said:

So how is the switch working out for those that have it? im still tempted.

I don't have one but I've played. I love it. But not enough games out (Nintendo at its normal annoying self)

29 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Still love mine and play it regularly, just setting out to complete Zelda.

Hmmm, do you play 2 player out and about with it often? i.e a flight with the GF? thats my rational really

20 hours ago, zak said:

So how is the switch working out for those that have it? im still tempted.

I'm loving mine. Got Splatoon 2 recently and that's a lot of fun, and there are several games coming out over the next few months that I can't wait for (Sonic Mania & Super Mario Odyssey in particular). Breath of the Wild alone is worth buying the Switch for IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think my gf is buying the switch more for her than me forthis on flights!

how long does the battery last for things like flights?

Battery life depends solely on the game. 

Zelda: BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and ARMS are all about 3 hours until the battery dies.

Anything less demanding than that games like Snipperclips you're looking at about 4 hours, but the Switch by default doesn't have the battery power to run most games for much longer than 3 hours on a full charge.

That said pretty much any power bank works with the Switch and some can as much as triple the battery life of the Switch. I'll link a guide to the best power banks on a budget below.

It may be the most powerful gaming handheld ever made, but Switch's peak battery life of three hours while running Zelda Breath of the Wild - or two hours 37 minutes at maximum brightness - is the price we pay for this level of fidelity. Thankfully, there are plenty of inexpensive options for extending a play session on the go. Nintendo's use of the USB-C standard opens the door to a range of external batteries, where even a £19 power costing can triple your overall game time.

Best Switch Power Banks Guide

The main issue though is that Nintendo in their infinite wisdom put the charge connector on the bottom of the unit. This is fine if you're playing single player portably, but if you're using the kick stand to play multi-player on the go the device can't be charged and stood up at the same time. There are likely adaptors and cases that make this a none issue, but I haven't looked into that so that might be another separate purchase if you need a power bank. 

Edited by Daweii

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2017 at 18:58, villarule123 said:

Got mine coming tomorrow but I can't help thinking how good it would be if we could play Wii/WiiU/3DS games even if they had to be bought again from the store on the console. 

I doubt I'll still have one in a few months time as I only want to play Mario Kart/SMO/Zelda but if all the old games were available I'd have years of content to keep me interested.

16 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I doubt I'll still have one in a few months time as I only want to play Mario Kart/SMO/Zelda but if all the old games were available I'd have years of content to keep me interested.

I agree with this, its really silly nintentdo dont do this and they could make more money. i would love it if i could p[ay gamecube, N64 and Wii game son it 

Nintendo have said they plan to introduce the VC on the switch, they're just still trying to figure out the best way to do it. It'll happen at some point, probably after they've exhausted the mini classic console things.

Edited by Phumfeinz

13 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Nintendo have said they plan to introduce the VC on the switch, they're just still trying to figure out the best way to do it. It'll happen at some point, probably after they've exhausted the mini classic console things.

What is VC? 

Â