Nintendo Switch

Chindie

depends on the marketing, im not sure that launch video did much for it if im honest, i think they need to whittle them down in to almost like 30 second tv spots and just demonstrate one feature at a time, have one for taking it down the park with your mates, have one for the home tv console, one for the handheld etc

the hybrid element of it needs a lot of work yet and tbf they havent really told us that much, there are so many things that could make it fail such as battery life

It's going to flop.

Nobody needs what this does. Out and about you have your phone to offer any number of distractions, iPad on longer journeys, at home it's not dislodging the other 2. It's only use is people who want to game in the living room while the telly is in use, and again the other options offer plenty of opportunities to sit in the living room and do something other than watch TV. And Nintendo fans.

It may do a bit better than the WiiU, but that isn't hard as a competent marketing scheme can do that on its own.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Didnt the Wii u do quite well in the end though? Nothing like the Wii but certainly not a flop.

Well, it's sold more units than the xbone, but barely half as many as the gamecube, and not many more the the vita. 

Problem being Japan is Nintendo's biggest market of course, and there's quite an apathy towards the home console market now. The xbone sold about 10 units in Japan iirc. 

That doesn't answer the question of whether it was a flop, but it certainly hasn't done great. 

I don't think it can be considered anything other than a failure to be honest.  It's almost certainly going to be Nintendo's worst selling games console ever, and while they probably didn't take too much of a financial hit on the thing I don't doubt for a second it will be considered hugely disappointing by the boardroom at Nintendo.  You can't go from a console that sold 100 million units in the Wii to one which might sell a tenth of that in the Wii U and be happy. 

The Switch will almost certainly do better. It just appears to be a swish Wii U, but one that is infinitely more marketable.  I'm almost certainly going to buy one. 

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Didnt the Wii u do quite well in the end though? Nothing like the Wii but certainly not a flop.

It's Nintendo's worst selling console not counting the Virtual Boy which failed primarily because it gave it's owners migraines. 

Wii U started off strong it sold 4-5 million units in its first month on sale. It's issue is in the 4 years that have followed where it has sold an additional 8 million. Wii U's total is at 13 million after 4 years which is only just better than the Dreamcast which was classed a huge failure. 

To compare Wii U to Nintendo's other output;

• NES - 61 million
  • SNES - 49 million
  • N64 - 32 million
  • GameCube - 21 million
  • Wii - 101 million
  • Wii U - 13 million

Now Nintendo have always had rather middling sales in the home console space. I mean until the Wii their sales were in decline generation on generation. The Wii changed things but solely because they sold their soul aiming the system to Mom, Dad and Grandma which was neat but it paints a false narrative somewhat. The Wii may actually be part of Wii U's downfall as the Wii burned so many bridges with their loyal fan base and it seems very few came back. 

Comparing Wii U to other Gen 8 consoles the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The PlayStation 4 in 3 years is on 47 million shipped, almost approaching what the SNES did in 10 years worth of sales. The Xbox One largely considered the "failure" of the Gen 8 sales wars is on 23 million in 3 years. So even compared to its sales rivals it's not stacking up well at all.

Will this have an impact on the Switch? It depends on if the Wii did permanent damage to their loyal fan base. There were lots of people that were Nintendo through and through burned by that system. So it'll be interesting. Initial hype suggests that the Switch may do well, but among gamers the Wii U had a fair bit of hype as well and that tanked pretty fast.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you think you can play wii u games on the switch? I'd like to keep super Mario world maker great lil game

The console lacks a disc drive so it wouldn't be able to play any Wii U games, or any past Nintendo game in a physical form. Not much has been said yet on if the console supports backwards compatibility via game downloads, but currently your Wii U collection will have to stay on Wii U.

I think the fact Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 are already 100% confirmed re-releases on Switch likely means Wii U support is out the window, but we will find out in January when they outline more about the Switch. 

Edited by Daweii
Cleaned up, Typo's ¬_¬
  • Like 1

to me it seems to be working on the assumption that people want to play games non stop 24/7, you're incapable of stopping playing zelda for half an hour whilst actually getting on with life so they've come up with a way of taking it with you

i wont be playing it on the way to work, i wont be playing it on my lunch break, i wont be taking it round my mates house, i wont take it to the pub, i might play it whilst the missus watches eastenders and i'd almost definitely end up playing it whilst taking a shit but after the buzz i had over playing the PS4 on the PSP and on PSPTV only to never actually bother with it i know that this will be a waste of money

if they'd come up with it when i was a teenager addicted to playing final fantasy 7-9 then i think id be all over this, as a 32 year old bloke it does next to nothing for me

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

to me it seems to be working on the assumption that people want to play games non stop 24/7, you're incapable of stopping playing zelda for half an hour whilst actually getting on with life so they've come up with a way of taking it with you

i wont be playing it on the way to work, i wont be playing it on my lunch break, i wont be taking it round my mates house, i wont take it to the pub, i might play it whilst the missus watches eastenders and i'd almost definitely end up playing it whilst taking a shit but after the buzz i had over playing the PS4 on the PSP and on PSPTV only to never actually bother with it i know that this will be a waste of money

if they'd come up with it when i was a teenager addicted to playing final fantasy 7-9 then i think id be all over this, as a 32 year old bloke it does next to nothing for me

I'm in a similar boat.

Yes I do play video games a lot more than many people my age because I work from home, I am my own boss pretty much, but because I work from home I don't need the portability stuff.

I will be buying regardless as it looks neat and I miss Nintendo games. I haven't played Nintendo games since 14 years old, if not longer. So I will get one, I just wish there was a cheaper version without the handheld screen and stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

At 4am our time tomorrow morning it's the Nintendo Switch Special Presentation live from Japan, followed by hands-on events for those who are lucky (?) enough to attend, one of which is in London.

We'll probably learn the release date, price, and launch titles, with some of them being playable at said events.

I've heard a curious rumour that one of the launch games will be Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids. Which is a contender for oddest cross over ever.

For those unaware, Rabbids are crazy Rabbit-things from Ubisoft's Rayman franchise. They're what I assume inspired Minions, cos they're loud, obnoxious, and annoying. I can only assume the game would feature Mario & Co putting down the infestation for good.

I'd play it.

I'll be watching the event and likely pre-ordering when the pre-orders go live at 6am GMT tomorrow, but I have very low expectations for the system and it's all thanks to the portable aspect.

Â