Nintendo Switch

Chindie

Hmm.

Nah.

The Wii U was a stupid idea and this doubles down on one of the promises of that, the off screen gameplay.

Nobody is actually going to carry the thing around. And it'll soon be abandoned by the big publishers and relegated to a handful of first party titles again.

At least they've finally ditched the stupid 2 screen idea that's plagued them since the DS.

52 minutes ago, Chindie said:

At least they've finally ditched the stupid 2 screen idea that's plagued them since the DS.

Lol. Stupid 2 screens that plagued them? The DS sold 154 million units worldwide (second only to the PS2 at 155m) with the 3DS selling 59.79m.

1 minute ago, Chewie said:

Lol. Stupid 2 screens that plagued them? The DS sold 154 million units worldwide (second only to the PS2 at 155m) with the 3DS selling 59.79m.

I look forward to everyone and his dog producing a dual screened handheld, as it seems the two screen thing is a guarantee of significant sales :)

Or the two screen thing was actually incidental to the success of the machines. It didn't work for the Wii U, evidently. That or people really, really like having always on map and inventory screens on portable consoles.

Nintendo had a massive hard on for the concept for the last decade and next to nothing actually made any real use of it. Huge gimmick.

There's a few things that I'd need to be convinced on before grabbing one, firstly battery life on the portable bit (there's maybe what 4 or 5 on the wii u gamepad and that's stuck in the lounge next to a charger in case it runs down) and this thing's supposed to do pretty graphics for AAA games on the go? Two, there are a hell of bit that "neatly fit" together - the controllers on the side of the game pad / controller, and the portable bit from the rest of the console - how long are they going to last before they fall to pieces and render it all knackered.  Thirdly is of course price, the Wii U is still £250 for the "premium" pack and that's barely moved in 4 years. 

I'll keep an eye on it, but don't imagine being in a rush to get it.  I've got a wii U in the house that barely gets turns on these days (though with very restricted time for gaming these days, neither does the PS3 or PC for that matter) - it'll be interesting to see what games actually come out for this, aside for the usual suspects of milked-dry IP. 

And just to finish on a totally facetious note, is showing Skyrim (a 5 year old game somehow) really the best way to show this new console off?! :P

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That or people really, really like having always on map and inventory screens on portable consoles.

Funny story (no, not at all actually) - whenever I've been playing on the new-and-exciting Final Fantasy 3&4 remakes on my old DS, one of the changes was to reward you for completely revealing each area you traversed - which meant I spent more of the game staring at the black-and-white map screen, rather than the lovely 3D rendered environments!

And apologies for the double post.

Nintendo handhelds have always been under-powered compared to their rivals (the Game Gear, Lynx, PSP and Vita) but has trashed the competition because the games are cheaper to make so have always had a good catalogue backing them up.

I wonder if the jump between making games for the 3ds and the much more powerful Switch will be too taxing/risky for their 3rd party developers, especially with mobile being a more fruitful marketplace.

That been said, the current dire standard of AAA games may leave the door open for the Switch with 5 or 6 top quality games at launch to steal a march on their rivals. It would surprise me though.

Tempted by this but may give it a year or two until I purchase it, when there is a decent game catalogue. It looks impressive but I don't really like handheld gaming on the go, despite giving it a go the the PS Vita. The other aspects of it all look rather nice though and Nintendo seem to have the backing required to make this a big hit. I already own a PC, Wii U and PS4 so I'm not really that pressed to get it at launch. Plus a year or two down the line there may be a new Playstation in the pipeline which would take me off the path of the Nintendo Switch...

Edited by briggaman

Ill probably buy it presuming its not a ridiculous price. I dont really game anymore but looks perfect for travelling. I take a fair few long flights each year. Being able to play 2 player mario cart on 1 tablet sells it for me, subject to actually working at that size.

28 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Isn't this basically just a fancy handheld console than you can use through your TV via HDMI? 

If so, I think it will fail miserably. 

There is talk that the dock will boost the horsepower but personally I can't see it and it will just be there to charge the unit and play through the TV.

If they get the pricing wrong and it is underpowered, the switch will fail miserably. 

It's weird, It looks too big & too small at the same time :/

With the controllers on the sides it looks far too wide like a weird atari lynx with massive screen but take the controllers off the side and the screen itself doesn't look much bigger than some phones.

400691-lynx.jpg

The controller dock thing just looks strange, with one controller right way up and the other upside down on the other side and they look far too small for any reasonably sized person to use as a controller on their own when removed from the dock.

1 hour ago, jim said:

There is talk that the dock will boost the horsepower but personally I can't see it and it will just be there to charge the unit and play through the TV.

If they get the pricing wrong and it is underpowered, the switch will fail miserably. 

The dock likely doesn't boost the horsepower not through additional hardware, but it will likely boost horsepower through active cooling.

The system/screen has a massive vent in the top and bottom which is likely positioned right above the GPU/CPU. One this will allow it to run faster in portable mode using passive cooling, but two when docked there is likely an active cooler in the dock that pumps air through the device.

By using active cooling the device will likely overclock itself to speeds that make it a semi-decent home console at semi-decent resolutions like 1080p. 

So while the dock likely isn't housing a second GPU, CPU or more HDD space, it likely does house a pretty powerful fan and looking at how chunky the back of the dock is I'm pretty confident that is the case. 

As for overpriced or underpowered. It's probably gong to be a bit of both.

Nintendo profit from their consoles. They don't do the sold at loss thing everyone else does. So chances are it won't be cheap.

As for power, it is likely to be around Xbox One power, so it won't exactly be a slouch but the Xbox was underpowered 3 years ago. It's going to be a machine for Nintendo exclusives again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As for overpriced or underpowered. It's probably gong to be a bit of both.

Nintendo profit from their consoles. They don't do the sold at loss thing everyone else does. So chances are it won't be cheap.

As for power, it is likely to be around Xbox One power, so it won't exactly be a slouch but the Xbox was underpowered 3 years ago. It's going to be a machine for Nintendo exclusives again.

To me this system will be overpriced regardless of if it's £200 or £300 whatever it is as I will likely only ever use it in home console mode.

Though to those that due use it in portable mode a lot then they are getting a steal. They are getting a home console, handheld, dock, controllers and whatever else for £200 or £300.

As for the power I think it being an Xbox One is the best case scenario though I am not 100% sure it will even be that powerful. I feel that this is somewhere in between Wii U and Xbox One in power. Great for portable fans as they just got a handheld that is 500x more powerful than 3DS, but not great for home console fans.

Â