Nintendo Switch

Chindie

4 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

£45 to replay the same basic game of bomberman you've been able to play on the last million consoles.  I sit next to someone in work who's preordered a switch because he's "weak willed and likes shiny things" and told him it'd be like repackaging Street Fighter 2 and launching it on the Switch as a brand new game with much fanfare for £50 a pop.

He then pointed out that Ultra Street Fighter II was in fact being released.

Yes I have looked amazon the price for games are ridiculous who the hell has gone with this pricing strategy? 

On 2/10/2017 at 13:36, CardiffGreens said:

£45 to replay the same basic game of bomberman you've been able to play on the last million consoles.  I sit next to someone in work who's preordered a switch because he's "weak willed and likes shiny things" and told him it'd be like repackaging Street Fighter 2 and launching it on the Switch as a brand new game with much fanfare for £50 a pop.

He then pointed out that Ultra Street Fighter II was in fact being released.

Because there's no 3rd party support (and never will be) Nintendo appear to have resorted to re-releasing old games and charging full price for them in a bizarre effort to make it look like there are games you can buy when you get your new switch. 

Also it's amazing 1-2 switch wasn't bundled with the console. Imagine paying £35 for a collection of terrible mini games that are essentially tech demos that you will be bored of in 8 seconds. 

I went along to the Birmingham preview event yesterday and I have to say it's a great bit of kit. I was really impressed with some of the games on show too. Arms especially although I am not sure what the longevity of that will be like. 

After being initially sceptical, I think Nintendo have got this right and I have decided to stick with my pre order.

• 2 weeks later...

People reporting a problem with the Joycons. They have a very limited range and seem to be severely affected by line of sight and how they're held.

Ah, Nintendo.

Where's that banging the table laughing emoticon...

It was with some surprise that I was confronted with an advert, on television, for the new Nintendo console yesterday evening. I was quite confused as to what I was seeing at first, but a typically insightful comment from the girly ("look's shit") quickly snaped me out of my stupor, to allow my brain to fully process what my eyes were seeing. Incredible stuff, I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on TV for a Nintendo home console, compared to the near endless PS3/4 and 360/Xbone ads over the last few years.

Slapped all over the tube too. Literally unbelievable, what do Nintendo think they're playing at? It's almost as if they want to see this thing.

Was the Breath of the Wild preview embargo up yesterday evening? I read a general Switch preview early on Friday, but they could only really talk about 1-2-Switch.

On 25/02/2017 at 09:36, Chindie said:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is being spoken about in previews as one of the greatest games ever made.

Largely because it's Zelda... 

GTA: IV was also reviewed as one of the greatest games of all time a decade ago, but it was still pretty average once the dust settled.

I am sure Breath of the Wild is good, but Zelda is one of those games where almost no one can be unbiased as almost every gamer has some form of affinity with the brand.

Same reason why Elder Scrolls gets such universal praise. Any other game launching as buggy and broken would be a 7/10, Elder Scrolls gets a 10/10 every single time.. It's the way gaming is. Gaming royalty always gets a free pass in reviews. 

I saw an advert for this on the telly earlier (the switch 1-2 game) and it looked so bad I actually thought it was a parody. I think it was the part with a mini game of shaking up coke bottles, that did it. 

More or less.

You don't need the pro controller in fairness, you can slide the joycons into a handle grip that comes with the console so they're more like a normal controller (you'll need to buy one that charges them too though if you want that functionality).

It's still stupid money.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

More or less.

You don't need the pro controller in fairness, you can slide the joycons into a handle grip that comes with the console so they're more like a normal controller (you'll need to buy one that charges them too though if you want that functionality).

It's still stupid money.

The joycon things looks a bit cramped and I think it would hurt my hands. My hands seem to hurt when using a PS4 controller for any period longer than an hour, I kinda feel like the joycon would be the same. I'm kinda tempted to purchase this because I do like new consoles etc, if it was £250 with the pro controller I'd probably jump in and then sell it if I didn't like it all that much. At £400, no thanks

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

So to buy the switch, a pro controller (the joycon things look terrible) and Zelda you're looking £400?!?

Don't forget the yearly £20 sub for online, plus a decent capacity Micro SD card because the in-built storage is 26GB.

It's about £500 for someone that gets the whole package. 

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

Don't forget the yearly £20 sub for online, plus a decent capacity Micro SD card because the in-built storage is 26GB.

It's about £500 for someone that gets the whole package. 

Yikes. I'm kinda fully expecting a price drop within a year so might wait til then.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The online is free initially while they sort the details out...

I expect a price drop by Christmas.

It's free initially because the online isn't rolling out worldwide. The UK isn't even getting the Switch Online at launch so charging for it initially is wise. 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:36, Chindie said:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is being spoken about in previews as one of the greatest games ever made.

10/10 from Edge magazine. Inevitable because giving less than a perfect mark for a Zelda game isn't possible for the fanboy's. I'm sure it's very good but the issue for the switch is that it will be the only decent game out in the next 12 months and it's out for the Wii U which most people who will buy the switch already own. 

The first portable only game has been announced for the Switch.

"VOEZ" will be out later this year mainly in Japan, but will likely hit our shores not too long after.

Personally I think this sets a bad precedent. People are largely buying this system as a mixed-purpose device as one that does both home console and portable, but Nintendo are already allowing games that go against that philosophy.   

What happens if in a couple years the console is full of portable only games? What about those that signed up initially expecting a console that could be used exclusively as a home console device? Nintendo need to address this as I already cancelled my pre-order and I likely won't be buying one any time soon if Switch's future is shovelware from smartphones. I wanted a Switch largely as a home console so seeing Nintendo open to Switch being a dedicated portable turns me off big time. 

Â