Nintendo Switch

Chindie

Eurogamer

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Nintendo's last console? Probably not but there's nothing about that that enthuses me at all.

Not impressed though this is largely Nintendo's fault. 

They kept the NX to themselves for the last 2 years despite patents leaking and all this speculation coming out about NX being revolutionary.

Yet here we are staring at what may as well be marketed as the 3DS replacement and if that is how they market it then it will be a huge upgrade, but they are gearing it up to be a handheld with a base station. 

My issue with this is that while it has insane power for a handheld console, it lacks the power to deliver that same experience at 1080p when you get home. 

So if they market this as a handheld and handheld alone then it will be great as this thing is like 60x more powerful than the New 3DS, but if not then it's gonna flop big time.

Initially I was very "meh" about this "reveal" considering that I don't game on the go at all, but there has been some other stuff come out that has piqued my interest...

• Apparently the Tegra chips used in the dev kits have an audible fan, which is odd since the NVidia shield which uses the same chipset is almost silent. This is leading people to believe that perhaps Tegra in the NX Dev kit is a place holder (overclocked X1) for Nvidia's new X2 Pascal chip which is being released next month.
  • I'm not going to go into GFLOPs and TFLOPs here, but it is speculated that the X2 Pascal chip provides graphical output somewhat decently above the Xbox One.
  • Nintendo have a bunch of patents for a supplemental computing device (SCD). The generally held theory is that the console will be power capped when in handheld mode and will have a resolution of 540p. You pop it into the dock or SCD and due to dedicated power supply + fan cooling allows the system to ramp up and use the full power, outputting at 1080p on your TV.
  • There was a story from SemiAccurate which basically stated...
    • Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
    • Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
    • SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. (Take the second sentence here with an extra portion of salt)
    • Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or which process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
    • No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.
  • This story gets people excited because again, it sounds like Nintendo may have managed to get the X2 chip (more power, less heat) as opposed to the weaker X1.
  • Nintendo have spent the past 2 or so years unifying their development teams to ensure that they can keep a constant stream of first party games coming out.
  • Another "insider" has stated that this launch feels more like the N64 and Gamecube as opposed to the Wii and WiiU (both N64 and GCN were power houses of their time).

Imagine what Nintendo can produce with about 10x more power than the WiiU...

luigi-death-stare-meme-mario-kart-8-01.g

Mockups from NeoGaf

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

The Nintendo hype train (as per every single console reveal) is boarding now people!

R8L41s6.gif

Edited by Chewie
  • Like 3

Half of that at will be true at best. I can't see them producing something markedly more powerful than we have already in the market. And if that was the case even with provision in place to throttle things in handheld mode the battery life would be dreadful.

The whole tablet idea just does nothing for me, Nintendo fan or not, on paper at least.

48 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

This. Link to the Past, Super Mario World, I'd buy it just for these two alone.

Yeah. I was always a SEGA player, so for me the SNES intrigues me. I've played a fair few games via emulators but the SNES emulators tend to be a bit volatile on the various computers I've had. 

A NES mini is a bit 'meh' to me, SNES really should have been the first thing they bought out, a far better system with much better games. I can't believe how good games like Donkey Kong looked on a 16 bit machine.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yeah. I was always a SEGA player, so for me the SNES intrigues me. I've played a fair few games via emulators but the SNES emulators tend to be a bit volatile on the various computers I've had. 

A NES mini is a bit 'meh' to me, SNES really should have been the first thing they bought out, a far better system with much better games. I can't believe how good games like Donkey Kong looked on a 16 bit machine.

Same, we had a Megadrive growing up so I'm very much a Sonic guy, but my auntie had a SNES and it was always awesome playing it whenever we visited. I accidentally erased a completed Super Mario World save once and got in a bit of trouble for that. :lol:

6 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

SNES / N64 combo console with ROM capability and I would be a happy chappy. 

God I would pay good money for that. the nes mini is going to make stupid money, ive already pre-ordered 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Who has pre-ordered the nes classic? I did but have seen sega have done a mega drive version with two controllers, more games and comes with usb slot so you will have the potential to download games onto it.

Seems better option compared to the nintendo one <_<

I might get it. I am more interested in it due to having a HDMI port so hooking it up to capture devices will be vastly easier now. Not too jazzed about it having 30 games and no expansion, I get that it's 30 of the better/popular games but no expansion kills me..

On 9/15/2016 at 13:38, Demitri_C said:

Who has pre-ordered the nes classic? I did but have seen sega have done a mega drive version with two controllers, more games and comes with usb slot so you will have the potential to download games onto it.

Seems better option compared to the nintendo one <_<

The megadrive one has been out for years, Isn't made by SEGA & is just some cheap chinese tat. It is listed as 80 games but only 40 of those is anything you would actually recognise as being a megadrive title.The rest are just random crap.  the controllers aren't brilliant and the sound is a bit ropey on many of the games.

You could buy them for less than  £30 from argos for the past 2/3 years

Doubt they have changed much for the "updated" version.

At least the nintendo one is actually made by nintendo i guess.

For the price you would be better off just getting on of the prebuilt raspberry pi devices for about £60 (retropie), you can put roms from pretty much every system straight onto usb/sd and play whatever you like (although obviously you should always own the original before playing a rom....) and most of themnhave a version of kodi built in so you can also watch whatever you want

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Â