Squad Numbers 2016/17

sparrow1988

So, saw proper numbers been worn in a friendly mentioned in another thread earlier and thought has the club announced its list for the coming season or not. A quick glance at the OS just shows last season's numbers.

Anyone got any info regarding this?

1 Gollini / GUZAN
2 Baker
3 Bennett
4 RICHARDS
5 Okore
6 Clark
7 Bacuna
8 Gana
9 Sinclair
11 AGBONLAHOR
12 Gestede
13 STEER
14 Elphick
15 Westwood
16 LESCOTT
17 Veretout
19 Ayew
20 Hepburn-Murphy
22 Gardner
24 Tshibola / SANCHEZ
27 Lyden
28 Green
29 Cissokho
30 Grealish

That's what I've worked out so far, with CAPS players being ones which I haven't seen with the number, so placed with the number they wore last season 

Edited by skarroki
Better detail

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Skarroki, I'm sure you're aware of this and it's a typo but it's Lyden not Lynden, thanks for posting though, your posts are always well thought out and insightful

Oops! Corrected it. And thank you, kind words. 

• Like 1

A random question on this subject, but do players sometimes have it written into their contract that they must have a certain squad number?  

I know it is unlikely that the above are already fixed, but looking at that list for example, Elphick (as potential club captain) should surely have 4,5, or 6. (was 5 for Bournemouth I think). It would be a statement of intent by the club to give Lescott/Richards/Agbonlahors number to someone else. I think they did the same with the bomb squad a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Jenko#4 said:

A random question on this subject, but do players sometimes have it written into their contract that they must have a certain squad number?  

I know it is unlikely that the above are already fixed, but looking at that list for example, Elphick (as potential club captain) should surely have 4,5, or 6. (was 5 for Bournemouth I think). It would be a statement of intent by the club to give Lescott/Richards/Agbonlahors number to someone else. I think they did the same with the bomb squad a few years ago.

Players can ask for a specific number at the club when signing, but I think most players will request it but not make a huge issue with what number they wear. 

As an example, I would imagine Ibrahimovic at Utd had it agreed he'd be wearing the 9 shirt, because it would have something to do with his image rights, the same as Beckham always getting the number 23, I think they took the 23 shirt off an academy player midseason at LA Galaxy because Beckham wanted his number to fit the brand. 

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I have a weird obsession with squad numbers, I don't know why.

I hate it when they don't make sense, a number 3 upfront, number 7 in goal, number 9 centre back. *shudders*

For example.....

Download.jpg

And that's not the worst one

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UppsalaVillan said:

No one else picked up on Hepburn-Murphy wearing 20? Where is Adama? Is he taking the coveted number 10 or are we saving it for our marquee striker signing next week?

I think it's great news that he has no.20 but it is worth remembering that Delfouneso had no.14 when he was Hepburn-Murphy's age. It doesn't really mean much, they are completely different types of players, I think that Delfouneso had better technique than Hepburn-Murphy at the same age but I have the opinion that Hepburn-Murphy has a better attitude/ mentality than Delfouneso

15 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it's great news that he has no.20 but it is worth remembering that Delfouneso had no.14 when he was Hepburn-Murphy's age. It doesn't really mean much, they are completely different types of players, I think that Delfouneso had better technique than Hepburn-Murphy at the same age but I have the opinion that Hepburn-Murphy has a better attitude/ mentality than Delfouneso

Yeah, but just saying he was missed out on @skarrokis post earlier.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2016 at 18:47, UppsalaVillan said:

Yeah, but just saying he was missed out on @skarrokis post earlier.

He is on my post? Adama isn't on there though, because I forgot about him in all honesty 

At the Middlesbrough game Gollini was 1, Elphick was 14, Grealish was 30, Tshibola was 10, Gestede was 12, Cissokho was 29. Other than that I think the rest of the squad numbers were unchanged from last season. 

As of today we don't have a 6 or an 8. I'm assuming if it goes through McCormack would take 8, a new midfielder may take 6.