Swimming Outdoors

Xann

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

little story to show how cool I am and why I should be the next bond....

On holiday in Kenya we had a week at the beach (oooh yeah) and we signed up for some scuba. Practised in the pool, all the usual. Eventually we went out on a glass bottomed boat, just 8 of us. It was like some corny joke, a German couple, French couple, two Americans and me and my missus. We chugged out to sea, parked up at the reef and they dished out the scuba gear. All four womens jointly decided they were staying on the boat sunbathing and looking at the fishies through the glass. 

German guy put on the gear jumped in and swam off. French guy and American guy put on the gear jumped in and swam off. Ahhh, tits. Looks like I've got to too. Stick on the gear, jump in and I'm utterly taken by surprise that the water is cold, gasp, suck in sea water. A wave or a bit of current gets me and pushes me under the boat where I am now doing my best panicking dying fly impression pinned to the underside of the glass bottom boat. With an audience looking down. The guys running the boat had thrown a load of bread in the water to attract extra fish. That was all under the boat, with the fish fighting to get me out of the way so they could grab the bread. **** brilliant.

scubasteve_zpscncb4jbz.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

On holiday in Kenya we had a week at the beach (oooh yeah) and we signed up for some scuba. Practised in the pool, all the usual. Eventually we went out on a glass bottomed boat, just 8 of us. It was like some corny joke, a German couple, French couple, two Americans and me and my missus. We chugged out to sea, parked up at the reef and they dished out the scuba gear. All four womens jointly decided they were staying on the boat sunbathing and looking at the fishies through the glass. 

German guy put on the gear jumped in and swam off. French guy and American guy put on the gear jumped in and swam off. Ahhh, tits. Looks like I've got to too. Stick on the gear, jump in and I'm utterly taken by surprise that the water is cold, gasp, suck in sea water. A wave or a bit of current gets me and pushes me under the boat where I am now doing my best panicking dying fly impression pinned to the underside of the glass bottom boat. With an audience looking down. The guys running the boat had thrown a load of bread in the water to attract extra fish. That was all under the boat, with the fish fighting to get me out of the way so they could grab the bread. **** brilliant.

and a reason why I shouldn't be the next bond is,  mrs H and the kids were out on a glass bottom boat once and I was out snorkelling so I dropped my shorts and swam underneath the boat came up and said did everyone see the full moon fish .. can't really picture 007 doing that if I'm honest

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Was down in Cornwall a week ago.

Day one I went sea swimming, then noticed there was no blue flag. Then read the little sign in the wc in the apartment that said to look after the beach by binning sanitary towels and not flush them.

Didn't go back in the sea.

I love swimming in the sea but when you can't touch the floor with your feet you are instantly hit with the knowledge that you have just slipped a few notches down the food chain.

It's a genuine adrenaline rush not knowing what's swimming below you.

Was that a carrier bag or a Great White ? 

Just keep swimming man.

I think I saw photos of Great Whites in the Med this year?

Saying that, there was a jelly fish and my nipper was outta that water faster than a torpedo.

Was doing the tourist mackerel fishing thing once in a little fishing boat off Cornwall and two Basking Sharks swam by, incredible things, about the same size as the boat. I know they're toothless, but quite sobering to see something that big in the water.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think I saw photos of Great Whites in the Med this year?

They've been spotted off the west coast of France and there's been sporadic reports they may hunt near our coastline. 

We need an underwater border wall and the implementation of a Lamnidae visa system pronto . 

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, maqroll said:

There is a killer great white swimming around the waters of the area I'm at right now, so no swimming for me, thanks!

Some think they're near the UK coast atm.

Not much of a shark threat in the rivers of the Midlands :)

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There is a killer great white swimming around the waters of the area I'm at right now, so no swimming for me, thanks!

Stop being a pussy and get in the sea.

If people stop getting eaten, the shark has basically won.

We had a weird jellyfish wash up last year, did that stop me going in the sea? Only for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

UK government advice - If the shark wears a mask it safe.  We can’t force it to wear a mask but good old shark common sense is needed. 

On 22/07/2016 at 09:38, chrisp65 said:

Some years ago on holiday in Corfu, we went for a trip on a sailing boat out to some rocks with spectacular underwater caves. When we got there the skipper said if anybody wants to have a swim, now's your chance. One (fat, middle aged) bloke had been bragging about his swimming skills, and proceeded to get kitted up in wetsuit, mask, snorkel, flippers, the full monty. Jumped in. After about five seconds he's floundering and panicking, and had to be unceremoniously fished back on board. At which point, a little girl, maybe eight or nine years old, dives overboard in her swimming costume, and spends the next ten minutes cavorting gracefully through the caves like a mermaid. The look on the fat bloke's face was precious, we were all pissing ourselves laughing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some years ago on holiday in Corfu, we went for a trip on a sailing boat out to some rocks with spectacular underwater caves. When we got there the skipper said if anybody wants to have a swim, now's your chance. One (fat, middle aged) bloke had been bragging about his swimming skills, and proceeded to get kitted up in wetsuit, mask, snorkel, flippers, the full monty. Jumped in. After about five seconds he's floundering and panicking, and had to be unceremoniously fished back on board. At which point, a little girl, maybe eight or nine years old, dives overboard in her swimming costume, and spends the next ten minutes cavorting gracefully through the caves like a mermaid. The look on the fat bloke's face was precious, we were all pissing ourselves laughing. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I was that little girl.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xann said:

Some think they're near the UK coast atm.

Not much of a shark threat in the rivers of the Midlands :)

A bull shark that swam up the Mississippi was once spotted in Illinois, so never say never...

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Stop being a pussy and get in the sea.

If people stop getting eaten, the shark has basically won.

We had a weird jellyfish wash up last year, did that stop me going in the sea? Only for a couple of days.

The shark was sighted a few days ago maybe a half mile from where I am. And I'm not far from "Seal Cove". So feel free to ram a giant tampon up my arse, I'm not going in.

• Like 3

Â