LowCostHolidays.com - Collapse

hippo

I almost paid on my debit card because my credit card was playing up, I tried the debit card and that didn't work either. Called the bank and they had blocked them both. They unblocked the CC to allow me to make the purchase... Seems like they knew something was up...

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

lol  £7.78 

I ve had to pay an extra £2300 ! for the same holiday ! - the hotel isn't even that nice 

bit of bummer - but this will be the last family holiday with the kids as they are older.

Ive always booked bargain basement and had some stunning deals over the years (family of 4 in 4* hotel all inclusive 10 nights £1200) - so I m still up going the bargain route ! - this year may redress the balance somewhat !!!! hey ho ! 

There's an updated page on MSE including a video from Mr Lewis:

Edit:

And the following is the section 75 stuff on that page:

Step 3: See if you're covered by your card provider or PayPal

You may be able to reclaim from your credit or debit card company or from PayPal if you paid using one of those methods – though it depends on what exactly you booked:

• Credit card payments. If your booking cost £100 or more (even if you put just 1p of it on a credit card), under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, credit card firms are jointly liable with retailers if something goes wrong – such as a firm going bust – meaning you may be able to get a refund from the card provider.

You can use our template letter to file a claim with your credit card provider – see our Section 75 guide for more info.

Martin says: "Section 75 has a strong chance of working. Yet it's important to understand that for it to work there must be a direct link between the product paid for and the debt. If there is an intermediary or agent, that link can be broken which invalidates Section 75.

"So the question is, was Lowcostholidays an agent? My thought, backed up from guidance from the Financial Ombudsman, is that Section 75 should work if you got a flight and hotel together, as then this was a Lowcostholidays package, rather than it being an agent's. But if you just used it to buy your hotel through it, it probably was an agent.

"However, whenever there's a complexity like this credit card companies tend to reject claims hoping you will go away. So be prepared for that rejection and don't think that's it. If they reject you, make sure you GO TO THE FREE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN service, which will give you a full impartial adjudication."

While Section 75 is more powerful, Visa, Mastercard and Amex credit cards also have 'chargeback' protection (explained below). It may be worth using chargeback to claim as well, as some banks let you do both. If you want to do this, check with your bank to see if they'll let you.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

There's an updated page on MSE including a video from Mr Lewis:

Edit:

And the following is the section 75 stuff on that page:

Thanks Snowy, I didn't book anything with lowcost but this is really handy to know in future. Usually book with a  debit card not anymore!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks Snowy, I didn't book anything with lowcost but this is really handy to know in future. Usually book with a  debit card not anymore!

Posted my claim of to MBNA today.  Don't think the credit card claim is bombproof - as there appears to be some complexity when you aren't buying direct.

Will let you know how I get on.

• 4 weeks later...

Want to reclaim after Lowcostholidays' collapse? The website's closing – so save your booking details NOW

If you were hit by the online travel agency Lowcostholidays going into administration, time is running out to download and save all the details of your booking – the 'existing bookings' site will be taken offline at 5pm on Friday 19 August.

The Lowcostholidays existing bookings portal allows those who booked a holiday with the firm before its collapse to log on and download details of flights and accommodation they'd booked.

These documents could prove vital if you're trying to reclaim money for lost bookings and you didn't save your booking or confirmation emails from Lowcostholidays.

We're now hearing lots of success stories from those who've managed to reclaim via chargeback, Section 75, PayPal and more – for example, one couple managed to reclaim £1,400 for a holiday to the Greek islands in just five days.

Many of you have told us you've been asked for documents that prove your bookings when making claims – for example, Julian emailed: "I paid by Visa Debit and my bank has said they may be able to claim it back [via the chargeback method], but only if I provide paperwork to prove my booking".

It's also important to make sure you've downloaded details of your Lowcostholidays booking if any part of it is still valid and you may need the documents when travelling.

...more on link

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Whoop, whoop, - phoned MBNA Tuesday was told 'no decision yet'  - I said "what decision ? - you're not going to comply with the consumer credit act ?"   - more mumbling - so emailed the CEO of MBNA - today I've got the whole lot refunded !  - including the increased costs that the hotel charged to rebook - Result !

thats great :-)

14 hours ago, hippo said:

Whoop, whoop, - phoned MBNA Tuesday was told 'no decision yet'  - I said "what decision ? - you're not going to comply with the consumer credit act ?"   - more mumbling - so emailed the CEO of MBNA - today I've got the whole lot refunded !  - including the increased costs that the hotel charged to rebook - Result !

You got the £2100? That's excellent. Good work on following it all through. :thumb:

Â