Sky Q

Kingman

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Same but without the extra box, although that's only £12 so it's £47 all in.

Will be taking BT for my broadband as Sky have no offers on right now.

Cracking deal here for Fibre and Line Rental... 

Ends Wed. Fibre & line rent £408 for 1yr, get £150 card and £50 cashback*

WORKS OUT EQUIV £17.32/MTH

• Available to: 83% of UK
  • Speed: Up to 52Mb 
  • Download limit: Unlimited 
  • Traffic shaping? No 
  • Contract length: 12 months
  • Deal requires line rental? Yes
  • Inclusive calls? Weekend
  • New line installation: Free

Until 23.59 on Wed 19 April, BT broadband newbies can get a one-year contract for line rent & up-to-52Mb speed unlimited broadband (up to 3x faster than standard) using this BT link*. The deal's available to 83% of the UK – you're told if you can get it when applying. Here's how it works:

1. Unlimited fibre broadband and line rent £28.99/mth for 12mths. After it jumps to £47.49/mth. Weekend calls to UK landlines are included – see BT call costs.
  2. You pay £59.99 set-up costs. Includes activation and p&p for the 'free' router.
  3. Get £150 on a prepaid Mastercard and £50 cashback but you MUST claim them. This makes the deal really hot, but annoyingly BT won't remind you to claim, so diarise to use this Mastercard claim link and cashback link. You've up to three months to claim after activation – they'll arrive separately and may take up to 45 days.

- Is the price fixed during the contract? Technically no, though BT told us it has no plans to increase it. If it does, you should be able to ditch your contract penalty-free.

Cost analysis: You pay £407.87 over one year before calls. But claim the cashback & use the Mastercard (which is like cash) & it's £207.87, equiv to £17.32/mth. Regular cashback site users may see bigger cashback elsewhere, but often on more expensive deals.

- Anything else? You get 100GB of free online storage and you can opt in to BT Sport free for three months, £5/mth after, on a 12-month contract. A 30-day rolling contract costs £5/mth. If you want to watch on Sky, it's free for three months, £7.50/mth after, on a 12-month contract.

Full BT call charges, tips & customer service ratings 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#btfibre

Yeah, that's what I've signed up for.  Had a nightmare with the order process though, and had to place my order 3 times.  Communication from BT has been woeful.  Think we've finally got there in the end though!

I also managed to get about £80 cashback through Quidco, so all in it's an awesome offer.

That's the broadband I have and I regularly get 50MB plus, so it doesn't appear to be like many broadband offers I've had before where the "upto" translates as "never even close to".

Never had any problems with it. Anytime it's gone slow or stopped working (which is rare) a router reboot always does the trick.

I currently pay £38  for Unlimited Fibre, Line rental and BT Sports pack in HD

Initially after my first year expired I received notifications of new price stating £58 

Usual crack, On the blower for the yearly haggling saying can't afford the price increases so turn it off yadder

30mins later saves £20pm, get sports free for first 3 months and available on 2 mobile devices. 

You actually get to speake to a real Geordie when you want to leave rather than incoherent timbooktwo when you have a query. 

• 11 months later...

Posted recently on here about the best sources of UHD films and it seems the only option with decent choice would be to get a UHD player and buy/rent 4k blu rays.  I'm now thinking about getting Sky Q, though - does it have much UHD content?  I like the idea of watching the football in UHD - are many games covered?  And in terms of films, are there many options in the Sky Store?  Would paying extra for Movies/Cinema be worthwhile?

It'd still have to be pretty impressive for me to get it, as I already have Virgin Media and I can't switch broadband really as the speeds here are terrible (I don't have to worry about this with Virgin though, as I get 100 mbps through cable).  Annoyingly, it also seems you have to get UHD content through Sky, you have to get the 2tb box (although that's just an additional up front payment) and multi room (additional monthly cost, which seems steep).

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Posted recently on here about the best sources of UHD films and it seems the only option with decent choice would be to get a UHD player and buy/rent 4k blu rays.  I'm now thinking about getting Sky Q, though - does it have much UHD content?  I like the idea of watching the football in UHD - are many games covered?  And in terms of films, are there many options in the Sky Store?  Would paying extra for Movies/Cinema be worthwhile?

It'd still have to be pretty impressive for me to get it, as I already have Virgin Media and I can't switch broadband really as the speeds here are terrible (I don't have to worry about this with Virgin though, as I get 100 mbps through cable).  Annoyingly, it also seems you have to get UHD content through Sky, you have to get the 2tb box (although that's just an additional up front payment) and multi room (additional monthly cost, which seems steep).

Bargain with Sky. There's a good thread in OT on how to do it.

I recently went with them, got SkyQ with the 2TB box for £26 a month and nothing up front. I don't have sports with it (yet) or movies but it does include HD and UHD.

Doesn't seem to be loads of UHD content though. Sky Atlantic catch up is about all I've seen so far when you don't have sports and movies. I'm assuming it will come though

• Thanks 1

I've found Q to be brilliant by the way, in terms of the interface and usability, recordings, catch up etc. 

It's an absolute breeze.

The only thing that's bothered me very slightly is stuff recording automatically. Is it like a recommended thing? Like if it thinks you'll like a program it records it?

Doesn't do it for much stuff but then some programs randomly appear in my recordings. Or it'll record a series twice for no reason.

It's a minor gripe though.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Doesn't do it for much stuff but then some programs randomly appear in my recordings. Or it'll record a series twice for no reason.

It's a minor gripe though.

I think this is usually the channel operator getting the series link tags wrong. I see it must on the All 4 channels where sometimes it'll record both the series you want and older ones.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sky 4K HDR broadcasts start in Italy, UK Sky Q update imminent? 

Sky Italia has started broadcasting content in 4K HDR, leading many to believe that Sky Q in the UK will be next.

Sky has promised a HDR technology upgrade for Sky Q in the recent past, using the HLG format recognised by many 4K HDR TVs, but has previously not said when. Now it seems the update is imminent.

Shows available in HDR on Sky Italia include Sky's own Britannia. The UEFA Europa League Final was reportedly available in 4K HDR, as well as a host of movies, including Spider-Man Homecoming and Baby Driver.

High dynamic range technology is one of several new features either recently added or coming soon to Sky Q. Spotify was recently integrated into the service and Netflix is coming later this year. The latter might even offer HDR (through HLG), although we're yet to find out more about the streaming service's full plans.

A new Kids Mode is coming, that will launch a user interface especially for a child's profile.

And Sky Q will be launched in app form for smart devices, so that Sky Q programming will be available to watch on a TV, tablet or smartphone without needing a satellite dish.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/144557-sky-4k-hdr-broadcasts-start-in-italy-uk-sky-q-update-imminent 

• Like 1

How does everyone rate the colour of the picture when watching UHD on Sky Q?

For me it always seems like the colour is way too dark. For example I was watching football a couple of weeks back, West Brom were playing, and their kit looked like a Newcastle kit because the colour was too dark.

The normal TV picture looks fine. And when I watch 4K content on anything else (Netflix or YouTube) the colours are perfect.

I played around with the colours loads and even tried factory resetting both my sky box and my TV to see if it would change anything but to no avail.

It's not a huge deal but one of those little things that irritates me.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kingman said:

Eurosport 4K channel now available on Sky Q!  

Same crack as Sky sports UHD - Menu and go to Sport —> UHD. Or go to Eurosport channel and then it will pop up saying press Select for UHD.

Currently showing The French Open I believe.

On 16/07/2016 at 08:27, Kingman said:

I Agree its aimed at the enthusiasts, Some earlier adopters will have wanted the 12 Tuners and i can imagine it comes in very handy for families, (bad enough with just me and the missus with programme clashes) and i always end up canceling the wrong one so would save me the ear ache.

Some early adopters will have wanted the Wireless Fluid Viewing and UHD Content as its next generation TV so would already have the 4k set, Its also Full HD 1080p as well over previous interlaced material for non UHD Content. 

Usually i would fully agree about the pricing structure coming down but i think it will hold its own due to the above reasons for some time, Sky Q minis are not 4k capable in the short time nor will Sky Q Silver be HDR, So i imagine when they roll out the future software updates to enable the above, Sky and enthusiasts will further justify the price hold.

So to follow on from this almost two years ago next month, Ive been informed Sky will be sometime this year be updating their Sky Q boxes and are trying to off load the remaining old boxes (prepare for good deals). Initial Sky silver boxes will probably be rebranded again Sky Q Gold/Platinum and facilitate HDR whilst UHD gets enabled on the minis. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I was just on live chat asking about broadband and he included a Sky Q box in the deal... why would I need that?

Probably a Sky Q Hub mate thats for broadband/fibre  

A Sky Q box would get you the TV. 

Â