Kingman

Sky UHD Update! 

4K announcement tomorrow (14/07/16) 
All Premier League games in UHD, The first date for the football is 13 August 
70 movies in UHD of which 13 are Premieres, also entertainment shows
HDR in future.

Edited by Kingman

Sky Q launches Ultra HD:

Bringing customers the most comprehensive range of TV they love in enhanced picture quality 

14 July 2016

Sky Q launches Ultra HD: bringing customers the most comprehensive range of TV they love in enhanced picture quality
124 live Premier League games and the world premiere of Spectre in Ultra HD
Award winning documentaries including Attenborough and new drama series with Jude Law

Sky today announces the launch of the UK’s most comprehensive Ultra HD service on Sky Q Silver, available to customers from 13 August.Offering an unrivalled line up of Premier League football, exclusive blockbuster movies, natural history documentaries and gripping dramas, viewers will be brought to the heart of the action at home, in enhanced Ultra HD picture quality.

Customers will be able to immerse themselves in 124 live Premier League games this season, and over 70 movies, from the world premiere of Spectre in Ultra HD, to Oscar Winner The Revenant, and box office hit The Martian. There will also be 30 hours of natural history and documentaries, with breath-taking scenes from David Attenborough’s Conquest of the Skies, as well as five new dramas, including hotly anticipated The Young Pope starring Jude Law and Series 4 of The Blacklist

And this is just the start, with more sports, movies, documentaries and drama, in spectacular Ultra HD, to come soon. 

Luke Bradley-Jones, Director of TV & Content Products, commented: “With Sky Q, we created the world’s best TV experience. Now with the introduction of an unrivalled line-up of Ultra HD TV, the service is going to get even better, truly enhancing customers’ viewing experience. So whether you’re a football fan, movie buff, natural history enthusiast or drama junkie, customers looking for the next-generation of TV viewing will love it.” 

Watch live, On Demand and through Sky Store, Ultra HD is available to customers with a Sky Q Silver box and subscription at no extra cost. 

From 13 August, customers will be able to watch the most comprehensive range of sports, movies, documentaries and dramas in the enhanced detail and clarity of Ultra HD, with highlights in the first year including:

• 124 live Premier League games including the first game of the new season Hull City v Leicester City 
  • Every race from Formula 1® 2017
  • Over 70 movies with premieres including Spectre, The Revenant, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials and Concussion
  • Over 30 Sky Store rental movies from Angry Birds to the entire Ghostbusters and Men In Black box sets 
  • The biggest ever library of movies from Minority Report to Forrest GumpThe GodfatherJerry MaguireZoolander, The Da Vinci Code and Spider-Man trilogy 
  • Ultra HD movie themed collections including Blockbusters, Action, Drama and Oscar winners 
  • 30 hours of natural history and documentaries, from Sky’s David Attenborough catalogue to Sky 1’s Big Cats: An Amazing Animal Family and brand new Monkeys: An Amazing Animal Family, as well as Richard Hammond’s Jungle Quest, plus National Geographic programmes including new Story of God with Morgan Freeman
  • Five new dramas including The Young Pope, featuring Jude Law, and directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino, a joint production of Sky, HBO and Canal+, as well as new Series 4 of The Blacklist, and the box set Series 1-3. 
  • Plus other entertainment, including comedy series The Trip To Spain starring Steve Coogan and Rob BrydonSky Arts’ Landscape Artist of the Year 2016 and Blur in concert

Sky Q, the next generation home entertainment system, just got better with Ultra HD. Sky Q is a great new way for customers to experience TV on their terms, with brilliant new features like the ability to record multiple shows at once, pause in one room and carry on in another and take recordings with you. Sky Q will continue to get even better with other exciting features coming soon, including voice search navigation and a smartphone app.

For further information, please contact:

Sky 
Sarah El-Hadidy
Sarah.El-Hadidy@sky.uk 

Notes to Editors

Ultra HD is the latest video format, up to four times the definition of HD.

Ways of watching 
To watch Ultra HD, customers will need the Sky Q Silver box and subscription, and a compatible Ultra HD TV. You need the Sky Q Silver bundle to enjoy watching documentaries and entertainment, plus Sky Sports and Sky Cinema subscriptions to watch sports and movies in Ultra HD. Sky Store movies can be rented by anyone with a Sky Q Silver box. To find out more please visit www.sky.com/ultrahd

Setup
You experience the benefits of Ultra HD when your resolution is set to 2160p. You’ll need an Ultra HD TV that supports 2160p at 50 frames per second and HDCP 2.2. 

Customers can setup their Sky Q Silver box to be Ultra HD ready from the end of July, and can start watching programmes from 13 August. To set your resolution go to settings > setup > audio visual > and select 2160p. If you do not setup you will be prompted to when you attempt to view in Ultra HD - press the red button and follow the on screen instructions. 

Sports
There are a few ways you can enjoy watching sports in Ultra HD:
  • When you tune into a channel with a live programme available in Ultra HD a prompt will appear on screen. Select the prompt and you’ll be taken directly to the Ultra HD live broadcast. You can change between watching the HD and Ultra HD broadcast at any time through the Mini Guide. 
  • To watch sports live or find sports coming up over the next seven days, go to the Sky Sports Home Page, select Ultra HD and you can tune in live or book a recording.  
  • You can also watch sports in Ultra HD through the sports red button application.

Movies, documentaries, drama & entertainment
Edited by Kingman

So has anyone got/getting Sky Q? 

I'm trying to get my hands on one of the codes that are floating around that gives you a £10 install rather than £100 and £56pm rather than £92pm (18 months) for SKY Silver with 1 mini, the full pack, Sports & movies in UHD, (normally £92pm) so that's basically giving you the Sports & movies UHD free for 18 months. 

Can't justify and won't be laying £92pm when I get everything currently for £40, so basically if i can get a code I will be paying an extra £16 for UHD. Think its around £13 they charge for HD Pack so don't seem that bad. 

Obviously code pending.

Edited by Kingman

I still find it strange that at a time when America is splintering away from cable and a pay one price for all system, in the UK Sky is still pushing the same model. At 92 quid a pop without special offers I can't see the take up rate being anywhere near what they want or expect.

7 hours ago, limpid said:

I've got Sky Q. Silver bundle + 3 minis. I negotiated an upgrade, but couldn't get them to move on the prices of the devices.

Bloody hell, How can you afford that?.. You on benefits ;)

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I still find it strange that at a time when America is splintering away from cable and a pay one price for all system, in the UK Sky is still pushing the same model. At 92 quid a pop without special offers I can't see the take up rate being anywhere near what they want or expect.

The American market is a bit different to ours (for better or worse depends on your viewpoint I guess) which has pushed 'cord cutting' more I think.

As for Sky and their pricing... I'd agree it's far too expensive, but Sky have said a couple of things about it. Firstly, Q isn't expected to be a mass product for some time, so the price right now is early adopter tax, it's the kind of money they know people who want to new best thing will pay. Secondly, Sky are on the record saying they think they can make more money from subscription payments than they do now, so it's likely Q pricing is the first evidence of that, and expect everything else to follow suit a little.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

The American market is a bit different to ours (for better or worse depends on your viewpoint I guess) which has pushed 'cord cutting' more I think.

As for Sky and their pricing... I'd agree it's far too expensive, but Sky have said a couple of things about it. Firstly, Q isn't expected to be a mass product for some time, so the price right now is early adopter tax, it's the kind of money they know people who want to new best thing will pay. Secondly, Sky are on the record saying they think they can make more money from subscription payments than they do now, so it's likely Q pricing is the first evidence of that, and expect everything else to follow suit a little.

I just don't see being able to record 5 simultaneous programs as an attractive feature, who actually needs that much control. Between on demand and actually watching things live I don't see why that's a selling feature of sky q. If you need it to have it to receive UHD I suppose they have you by the balls but the price needs to come down before the public gets involved en masse.

I'd be interested to see how much people watch TV, and how much they pay for it. I couldn't justify even half that, but then, I watch about 3-4 hours of TV a week, and probably wouldn't pay for much more than Netflix. £40 a month seems crazy to me.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

I Agree its aimed at the enthusiasts, Some earlier adopters will have wanted the 12 Tuners and i can imagine it comes in very handy for families, (bad enough with just me and the missus with programme clashes) and i always end up canceling the wrong one so would save me the ear ache.

Some early adopters will have wanted the Wireless Fluid Viewing and UHD Content as its next generation TV so would already have the 4k set, Its also Full HD 1080p as well over previous interlaced material for non UHD Content. 

Usually i would fully agree about the pricing structure coming down but i think it will hold its own due to the above reasons for some time, Sky Q minis are not 4k capable in the short time nor will Sky Q Silver be HDR, So i imagine when they roll out the future software updates to enable the above, Sky and enthusiasts will further justify the price hold.

Edited by Kingman

For me it was the wireless minis and the fluid viewing and also because one of my HD boxes died prompting me to look around. I like the model that sky own the gear so it's their problem when it goes wrong - but we'll have to see what that means in terms of SLA.

I actually don't watch much TV, but when I do I want it to be as convenient to me as possible.

(I'm going to pull there posts out and start a sky q thread later.)

• Like 1

Sky are showing 126 games next season and 124 are in UHD, 

I would imagine the two outstanding games are ones on the last day of the season and there will not be a another UHD channel to broadcast them on, however that could change pending future updates i guess?

Edited by Kingman

More UHD content confirmed... 

Sky’s First Year 4K Content Highlights

* 124 live Premier League games including the first game of the new season Hull City v Leicester City.

* Every race from Formula 1® 2017.

* Over 70 movies with premieres including Spectre, The Revenant, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials and Concussion.

* Over 30 Sky Store rental movies from Angry Birds to the entire Ghostbusters and Men In Black box sets.

* The biggest ever library of movies from Minority Report to Forrest Gump, The Godfather, Jerry Maguire, Zoolander, The Da Vinci Code and Spider-Man trilogy.

* Ultra HD movie themed collections including Blockbusters, Action, Drama and Oscar winners.

* 30 hours of natural history and documentaries, from Sky’s David Attenborough catalogue to Sky 1’s Big Cats: An Amazing Animal Family and brand new Monkeys: An Amazing Animal Family, as well as Richard Hammond’s Jungle Quest, plus National Geographic programmes including new Story of God with Morgan Freeman.

* Five new dramas including The Young Pope, featuring Jude Law, and directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino, a joint production of Sky, HBO and Canal+, as well as new Series 4 of The Blacklist, and the box set Series 1-3.

* Plus other entertainment, including comedy series The Trip To Spain starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, Sky Arts’ Landscape Artist of the Year 2016 and Blur in concert.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...gust-2016.html 

I agree, Full HD is fantastic, I wouldn't pay more for 4k/UHD but would take it for free.

I do laugh when reading about new mobile phones and people kicking off because the screen isn't 4k :lol:

The latest Sky Q update is now live to update for UHD option as well as being able to set box to 2160p, Lots of positive tweaks and hopefully dropout bug fixes. 

@limpid is the box now upscaling SD+HD Material? from 1080 to 2160p?

Edited by Kingman

Â