Ticket Prices in the Championship

tom_avfc

It is a disgrace, £42 in the championship is crazy money. I do happen to know that Wednesday's new owner put ticket prices up last season, the Owls fans round where I live were furious, it was all over the local news too that they were being charged premier league prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We are all fans at the end of the day, why punish them?

Our club has tried to get reciprocal deals so I hope we stick to it. The away fans as showed with the 20's plenty are typically the more ardent fan so hit their fans in the pocket then they'll cause a fuss and eventually something will happen. The deals were also regarding numbers aswell as prices and seeming as Wednesday may be our rival for promotion if they don't increase our allocation give them the minimum allowed at the maximum we can. 

Edited by dn1982

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Our club has tried to get reciprocal deals so I hope we stick to it. The away fans as showed with the 20's plenty are typically the more ardent fan so hit their fans in the pocket then they'll cause a fuss and eventually something will happen. The deals were also regarding numbers aswell as prices and seeming as Wednesday may be our rival for promotion if they don't increase our allocation give them the minimum allowed at the maximum we can. 

We should but we won't.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I hope we charge clubs the same prices and give the same allocations. 

That's the height of lunacy. It's not the fans that set the prices, so why punish them? They're in the same boat as villa fans - at the mercy of greedy bean counters in club board rooms. Your suggestion is like "this ticket pricing strategy is really wrong and must be stopped"..."I know, let's stop it by also doing it"

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's the height of lunacy. It's not the fans that set the prices, so why punish them? They're in the same boat as villa fans - at the mercy of greedy bean counters in club board rooms. Your suggestion is like "this ticket pricing strategy is really wrong and must be stopped"..."I know, let's stop it by also doing it"

I agree entirely, it's punishing the wrong people. But...

There is an argument to say that such action could actually help stop this sort of thing by putting pressure on those responsible by the fans of their own club who face raised prices as a indirect result of their actions.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've wrote another post explaining why. We tried for reciprocal arrangement on prices and allocations. If they've decided on this we need to stick to the principle. Our fans had a big part to play in getting the PL to set a £30 max even though they tried for a twentysplenty policy. It needs Wenesday fans to hit their club as our did to get them to do something. They won't be bothered if all other clubs reduce their away prices for them. Fans need to stand together and unfortunately that means we all get the benefits aswell as the cons.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently the Wednesday fans pay the same, the owners are a disgrace. I feel for their fans

Indeed. Check out the prices here.

We are a category A game, so £42 is the cheapest adult ticket...

32 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I've wrote another post explaining why. We tried for reciprocal arrangement on prices and allocations. If they've decided on this we need to stick to the principle....... Fans need to stand together and unfortunately that means we all get the benefits aswell as the cons.  

I respect other views, as we all want the same thing. I disagree with you because of the inherent contradiction firstly,  I.e. Villa fans complaining that Wednesday are over charging us, so villa should over charge Wednesday fans is the opposite of fans standing together, it's  fans demanding other fans are hurt.

Secondly, I don't really get which principle  you are talking about. To me, I'd say things like "value for money" "treating others as you'd like to be treated". As dem says, Wednesday fans are already angry at their clubs ticketing prices, villa overcharging them will have no impact other than to signal to more clubs "well villa do it, Leeds do it, Wednesday do it...so we can use that as cover to do it too" it needs fewer clubs to indulge in this ripping off, not retaliation by joining in.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

I respect other views, as we all want the same thing. I disagree with you because of the inherent contradiction firstly,  I.e. Villa fans complaining that Wednesday are over charging us, so villa should over charge Wednesday fans is the opposite of fans standing together, it's  fans demanding other fans are hurt.

Secondly, I don't really get which principle  you are talking about. To me, I'd say things like "value for money" "treating others as you'd like to be treated". As dem says, Wednesday fans are already angry at their clubs ticketing prices, villa overcharging them will have no impact other than to signal to more clubs "well villa do it, Leeds do it, Wednesday do it...so we can use that as cover to do it too" it needs fewer clubs to indulge in this ripping off, not retaliation by joining in.

The principle is we will charge your fans what you charge ours. That's what the reciprocal arrangement was for. I think this covers both your points. It's also more than just the ticket price it covers it covers the allocations aswell. Wednesday have given us 2000 so far but we wanted more upfront. If that's the final allocation that's exactly what they should get. Villa are aware we will be a lot of clubs cup finals and are trying to stop us getting ripped off every where whilst trying to get the maximum allocation we can get at every ground. Our club is doing the best for us the fans. So you try to do reciprocal deals but that's pointless if you don't stick to it. There's your principle. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

The principle is we will charge your fans what you charge ours. That's what the reciprocal arrangement was for. I think this covers both your points. It's also more than just the ticket price it covers it covers the allocations aswell. Wednesday have given us 2000 so far but we wanted more upfront. If that's the final allocation that's exactly what they should get. Villa are aware we will be a lot of clubs cup finals and are trying to stop us getting ripped off every where whilst trying to get the maximum allocation we can get at every ground. Our club is doing the best for us the fans. So you try to do reciprocal deals but that's pointless if you don't stick to it. There's your principle. 

Us charging Wednesdays fans more doesn't actually hurt Wednesdays owners. You would be targeting the wrong people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

You would make a poor businessman

its not the Wednesday fans fault that their owners are greedy

• Like 1

It does highlight how important gate receipts are to Championship teams that they resort to this length to try and generate additional income. However I do feel it is short sighted. If the tickets were priced at £30 there would be plenty more prepared to make the trip which with the increase in numbers would surely return more income as well as the additional money generated from the beers and food they would sell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stockport_Villain said:

It does highlight how important gate receipts are to Championship teams that they resort to this length to try and generate additional income. However I do feel it is short sighted. If the tickets were priced at £30 there would be plenty more prepared to make the trip which with the increase in numbers would surely return more income as well as the additional money generated from the beers and food they would sell.

Thing is, I'm not pretty certain villa will sell out for every away game irrelevant of price. The owners know this and thus have put the price high. I don't agree with it, but that is why.

6 hours ago, blandy said:

I'm with Pete on this. You don't stop this by wanting others fans to say 'look because we are charging Villa fans £42 they are doing the same to us' your best chance of stopping this is by setting the example so fans of other clubs can say 'if Aston Villa can only charge fans £25 then why can't we'

You need to remember that clubs cannot charge away fans anymore than the maximum price they charge their own supporters so as others have already said Sheff Wednesday fans will be paying this. 

By following other clubs in charging extortionate prices you are simply contradicting yourselves when saying it is wrong other clubs are ripping fans off but by the way we are doing the same. In fact it is more than wrong it is madness. The way to change this is by setting the example by setting prices at a reasonable level regardless of what others are doing and then fans can put pressure on their own clubs by stating if a club like Aston Villa can do it then so can we.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

£42 is a **** disgrace, shame on Sheffield Wednesday, what an utter scumbag football club they are. I wish nothing but the worst for them. 

Agree with the first part, obviously, but not the second. Good fans.

Â