Pokémon GO

hogso

Who has tried this? 

It's basically an augmented reality game. It puts your avatar on a pokemon style 'world map', which is generated from your real world locale. Pokemon are dropped around the area, and you can catch them by pointing your camera at them.

It also generates gyms and shops somehow, that you have to physically walk to to use. 

It also seems to generate pokemon based on features of the area you're in, like there's a lake near me so there are water and grass types around. 

It's interesting in so much that it's a huge brand doing something quite original that works perfectly with the source material, as it were, not just some cheap pokemon clone or card game using the property to generate a cash cow - as yes, there are micro transactions in the way of pokeballs to catch more and incense to make them appear more often. 

Curious to walk round more to see what else appears, and what the gyms do, exactly, as it says you can't use them til hitting level 5...

• Like 1

If I'm honest I quite liked Pokemon, I wouldn't say I was a yoof I was probably the older end of their target audience, my problem with the series is that it never seemed to develop further than at it originally was, minor tweaks and improvements etc but the core stayed the same, I wasn't bothered enough by the series to play battle etc

I said i its own thread, IMO NI no kuni is Pokemons for want of a better word evolvement, Nintendo to my knowledge having left the series behind have never tried to advance their winning formula in to a proper deep meaningful modern day rpg not even sure if there is a Pokemon WiiU game the series seems to have fallen foul of the Nintendo money making from a tired series business model 

Didn't find anything on my walk to work. Every now and again you'll see a rustle of leaves on your map, which I think you're supposed to investigate...unfortunately when time is constricted it's not that easy, plus the leaves were in the middle of the bypass, sooo.

It is a bit of a distraction when walking, and I do wonder how many accidents it will cause, not to mention the drain on your battery, as you'll probably want it on whenever you're walking around.

There's a major lack of instruction as well, I really don't know what you can do other than catch pokemon that randomly appear. It is telling me to visit a 'pokestop' next, and there is one not far away, so I'll see what that's all about.

The 'pokestop' in question is located in a small park not far away, at a junction of a path that is a large circle. I'm not sure if someone has added this themself as a landmark, or if the game has placed it there because it's identified a circle...

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

Didn't find anything on my walk to work. Every now and again you'll see a rustle of leaves on your map, which I think you're supposed to investigate...unfortunately when time is constricted it's not that easy, plus the leaves were in the middle of the bypass, sooo.

It is a bit of a distraction when walking, and I do wonder how many accidents it will cause, not to mention the drain on your battery, as you'll probably want it on whenever you're walking around.

There's a major lack of instruction as well, I really don't know what you can do other than catch pokemon that randomly appear. It is telling me to visit a 'pokestop' next, and there is one not far away, so I'll see what that's all about.

The 'pokestop' in question is located in a small park not far away, at a junction of a path that is a large circle. I'm not sure if someone has added this themself as a landmark, or if the game has placed it there because it's identified a circle...

Woah, woah, woah, it's out in the UK?

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Woah, woah, woah, it's out in the UK?

You probably won't thank me for this, but on android you'll need an apk installer and this link.

So no, it's not officially out, and you can't play it at all on iOS yet, but it is there, and it works just fine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hogso said:

You probably won't thank me for this, but on android you'll need an apk installer and this link.

So no, it's not officially out, and you can't play it at all on iOS yet, but it is there, and it works just fine.

Thanks for this hogso. Any particular apk installer you recommend as there are a few out there?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks for this hogso. Any particular apk installer you recommend as there are a few out there?

I use the one on playstore called APK Intaller by 'mobile manager'. It's very simple and quick to use.

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

I use the one on playstore called APK Intaller by 'mobile manager'. It's very simple and quick to use.

Thanks will check this out, so really you have to be outside to play this in open spaces. people will think we are crazy :mrgreen:

Outside is best yeah, but as long as you can get a GPS signal you can use it in doors too. The maps are super accurate and knew exactly where my home and office buildings were. So I can still use it walking around the office for example, maybe I'll bump in to a Pidgey on my way to the bog...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hogso said:

So I can still use it walking around the office for example

Just tried this, and a Caterpie appeared!...on the road outside, bastard, obviously I couldn't walk out to go and get it, and now it's gone **** thing :lol:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hogso said:

It doesn't always work just fine. My sister has it and it crashes her phone as soon as she finds a pokemon.

Dunno what's causing it, but yeah, it doesn't seem to always work

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Working incredibly smooth on android 6.0.1 on my HTC One, what's she running?

She's got a Moto (can't remember which one) which might be her problem. She's running the latest android but maybe her phone isn't up to it.

Either that or she got a dodgy version of the game.

Heh, was going to post about this but was too busying watching the football (and catching the Zubats that were flying past my back garden).

It seems that Ingress was simply a data collection exercise to pump straight into this, given that I've just seen all of my ingress portals lifted and shifted (puntastic names and all) into PG.  Edit 2:  It's the same team between them.

In terms on instructions.  Gyms look like capture the flag style points that you can clain for your team / take off the others with your captured pokemon.  The pokestops provide you with items (click on them at the map screen, then swipe the picture to make it spin and grab the loot).  The "nearby" screen shows the nearby pokemon with a number (0-3) of footprints, the fewer the footprints the closer you are to it (I'm not sure if the moving grass actually signifies anything).

Also, super exciting wrist band accessory coming to you soon!

Edit, I've found a bug in that the number of pokemon you find doesn't decrease should you "return" one to the Proffessor in order to get some sweets, I'm not sure if this actually affects gameplay or is just a UI bug.

Edited by CardiffGreens

5 hours ago, hogso said:

I'm not sure if someone has added this themself as a landmark, or if the game has placed it there because it's identified a circle...

About 4 years ago Niantic Labs (originally a spin off from Google, but now going their own way on their own) released an AR "capture the flag" game called "Ingress".  The "flags" that were capturable were user-submitted photos of interesting public art, places of interest and post offices.  You would level up by catpuring these points, taking them from the opposition and by linking them into groups of three to make pretty triangles on the map.

All the Pokestops and Gyms I've encountered in my lunchtime powerwalk around Cardiff Bay's barrage were the same places (with the same names and photos) as from when I was playing Ingress (which unfortunately suffered lately with the abundance of GPS-hackers, poor achievement design (which without which you couldn't level up) and generally ever-increasing numbers of higher level player action that  basically meant newcomers (or anyone not willing to live in a car driving between portals) was at a total disadvantage as better items were locked to higher levels, making the early levels akin to breaking down a concrete wall with your face.

Thankfully, the rock-paper-shotgun approach to Pokemon's core gameplay is used to capture Gyms from opposing teams (Yellow for Instinct, Red for Strength and Blue for Wisdom) - you assign a Pokemon from your collection to "Guard" a gym, opponents can then try and take it down in a battle between them (hence the 2 skills that each Pokemon has) - but with the usual elemental strengths / weaknesses.  This will certainly help negate the spiralling leveling-up that will no doubt occur in the medium-to-long-term.  

Apropos to all that, half of Cardiff bay's gyms are being claimed by Magikarp.  I'll let you know how long that lasts!

5 hours ago, hogso said:

Just downloaded it, have only caught a charmander thus far but when walking to my car hopefully something will show. lets hope it doesn't get me to find something when I am crossing the road!

Â