Mitchell Clark

sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am all for loaning our youngsters out; it is a very good thing. But I think we leave it too late to do it.

But in the case of Clark, when he played he looked better than Taylor or Hutton. A subjective view, I know, only my opinion, but I think shared by others.

He brings in other clubs' young players, but I don't think Onomah is better than, for instance, Doyle-Hayes. Tuanzebe has also been very poor.

In site of their poor performances, both have been afforded long runs in the team which he has not afforded to our own youngsters.

Can't really argue with that, personally I haven't seen a lot of Clark so can't really compare to Taylor or Hutton, from my (pretty uninformed) opinion it seems he's 3rd choice at best and unlikely to play so loaning him out makes perfect sense to me, but I'll be interested to see how he does on loan. I liked the look of Doyle Hayes but I only saw him in friendlies where it's virtually impossible to judge 

I do think Onomah was decent for us, had an ok start, terrible, mistake ridden middle and pretty good finish to the season. Tuanzebe I agree has looked poor, but he seems to have the physical attributes already he may just need a bit of time to get used to proper competitive football, physically he looks a bit ahead of our young defenders who always strike me as a bit lightweight (all well and good being comfortable on the ball, but even ball playing defenders need a bit of physicality about them to deal with the actual defending part) 

18 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Hutton is actually a decent player especially at this level, which he has proven over the last two seasons. 

he's also 33 on a 1 year contract and out of position, surely the time to think about his future and phase him out?

if this kid was ever going to break in to our team this would be the season to try it, instead he has 2 players with no long term future at the club ahead of him and then inevitably we'll need a new LB who will be ahead of him

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's also 33 on a 1 year contract and out of position, surely the time to think about his future and phase him out?

if this kid was ever going to break in to our team this would be the season to try it, instead he has 2 players with no long term future at the club ahead of him and then inevitably we'll need a new LB who will be ahead of him

Yes totally agree, he should be getting phased out but if Clarke isn't ready he cannot be starting. It would be worse for Clarkes development if we stuck him at left back and he gets rinsed twice a week until January then replaced. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That tells me this kid is never going to break into this team. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

West Ham & Newcastle are watching him. His contract ends at end of the season hopefully Smith brings him and back and he signs a new deal

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/premier-league-pair-keen-talented-15307918

West Ham and Newcastle are keeping tabs on Aston Villa’s Mitch Clark, according to reports.

The 19-year-old is currently performing well on loan at Port Vale and has attracted the recent interest, report The Mirror.

Clark was allowed to leave Villa to gain first team experience as he was down the pecking order in B6.

But there is a recall option in January if Villa want to activate it.

Clark signed for Villa’s academy when he was just eight. They and a number of Midlands clubs had scouted him playing for a kids football club in Bedworth.

Clark has also played for the Wales under-19 team and was watched by Wales under-21 manager Rob Page during Vale’s home draw with promotion-chasing Exeter City last month. Page came away impressed but the youngster just missed out on a call up to the latest Wales under-21 squad.

In an interview with the Stoke Sentinel following the change of manager at Villa, Clark said: “At the minute I am at Port Vale so I am trying to keep my focus on Vale and, whenever the time comes when I go back to Villa, hopefully I can be in the manager’s view.

“I know Villa are watching me while I am playing for Vale. I just have to make sure I keep playing well and keep performing for Vale and try to help them get three points every week.

• Like 2

If we are allowed to bring him back in January? I'm sure he will be recalled. His ability to play CB and LB could be of benefit. 

57 minutes ago, av1 said:

If we are allowed to bring him back in January? I'm sure he will be recalled. His ability to play CB and LB could be of benefit. 

Only if he is going to play every week which I don't expect he would. Players have been set back years at this club the past decade being kept in the stands "just in case"

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Only if he is going to play every week which I don't expect he would. Players have been set back years at this club the past decade being kept in the stands "just in case"

Depends on the manager and his assistants.

I have faith in the coaches we now have to know what is best, whether it be playing for us or out on loan.

If we lose this guy for free because Bruce rather hand a 1 year extension to Alan Hutton than give Clark a role in the senior squad then I think we'll really regret it and I will be more than a little peeved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If he was here at this point with Smith being around he would have played.

Not sure about January though. If he’s going to sign someone it would be different. But as it seems now he seems to prefer anyone playing on his proper position so his only competetor is Taylor which would say alot.

He was at the reserves tonight and he's been at every reserve game I've seen this year, so he's by no means a player who isn't still interested and around the Villa set up. I'm sure Dean Smith will be aware of how he's been getting on - I think it would be foolish to let him go at this stage - I'm sure he'll want reasonable money, and I'll be happy enough if he's playing well enough on loan to deserve it when he comes back.

• Like 2

The vultures are sniffing around then. Hopefully we can get him a contract extension before they try to turn the young player's head. We can't afford to lose our young prospects and I trust the new management team will be sorting this one out quickly.

1 hour ago, John said:

The vultures are sniffing around then. Hopefully we can get him a contract extension before they try to turn the young player's head. We can't afford to lose our young prospects and I trust the new management team will be sorting this one out quickly.

Which Vultures? 

Â