Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

As this one seems to be close now, I think he can have his own thread.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-news-details-aston-villas-11551494

Aston Villa are hoping to make Hellas Verona stopper Pierluigi Gollini their second signing of the summer.

The claret and blues have lodged a £4.1m bid with the Serie A side and are now waiting to see if it has been accepted.

Gollini, 21, is said to be interested in a return to England having previously been on the books at Manchester United.

He left Old Trafford to play first-team football in 2014 and caught the eye with 26 appearances in the Italian top-flight last term.

Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo desperately wants a new stopper in before the squad travel to Austria next week and has held lengthy discussions with goalkeeping coach Massimo Battara at possible options.

It was decided earlier this week that Gollini was the man they should approach after a glowing reference from Battara and Villa are now waiting to see if they get their man.

Last season goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Mark Bunn were rotated as both struggled to find the kind of consistency needed to retain the No.1 spot.

Guzan is yet to return for pre-season training as he was given extra days off following his Copa America duties.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Pretty sure that account is complete twaddle. 

A guardian journo on twitter also saying its done now

Was i the only one wondering what a highly decorated, retired referee was going to bring to the party?

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Was i the only one wondering what a highly decorated, retired referee was going to bring to the party?

00009CF1-F4F8-1D1A-BD4780BFB6FAFE6C.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

said so myself a few days ago. disappointed now as we could have done with a referee ;)

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

That whispers dude seems to allude to Gollini being back up and we also looking for experienced number one.

Also a right back .

I was going to make a joke about Gollini also being a right back, but I barely laughed myself so I didn't.

But then I wondered if that's ever happened, a player being able to play in goal and outfield?

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was going to make a joke about Gollini also being a right back, but I barely laughed myself so I didn't.

But then I wondered if that's ever happened, a player being able to play in goal and outfield?

Con Martin

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm not sure if it's actually happened, but I seem to remember Joachim Louw saying Neuer could play in midfield or something.  The team seems him as an 11th outfielder rather than "just" a goalkeeper.

Without trying to start another hilarious 'he's [this] short' conversation, ala Elphick, how tall is Gollini?

From the clips I've seen, he doesn't look big or much of a physical presence, and that would be my main worry with him being our first choice keeper. I don't want us to have a Shay Given type goalie who is scared to come off his line and catch/ punch a corner.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Without trying to start another hilarious 'he's [this] short' conversation, ala Elphick, how tall is Gollini?

From the clips I've seen, he doesn't look big or much of a physical presence, and that would be my main worry with him being our first choice keeper. I don't want us to have a Shay Given type goalie who is scared to come off his line and catch/ punch a corner.

6' 2

Â