Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are you trolling with this?

To an extent yes was a bit of a wind up. But really let's not forget where the club is right now. Mid table championship managed by a Steve Bruce coaching team. If you told me that 3 years ago I would have punched you. Reality is he probably getting much better coaching at a mid table Serie A club than he will get at Villa currently, so in that regard he's being the master of his own destiny. Probably would have been more professional to have kept his mouth shut about it though

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK. I'm going to call my business partner up in the morning and tell him that from now on, we're only employing people from the Democratic Republic of Congo. I simply won't work with anyone not from the Democratic Republic of Congo. 

If he doesn't like it, that's his problem. Idiot.

That's an odd analogy. I would be more concerned if you disagreed with your partner about some facet of the business and said nothing for the duration of your 5 year contract

(Bringing it loosely back to football)

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I'm pretty sure the training regime didn't make him concede a goal at 89 mins for four or five games, or do dodgy clearances or dodgy goal kicks.

I liked the lad and was willing to give him a lot of time to improve... but his worst errors came under RDM when we had an Italian goalkeeping coach. So it doesn't really add up.

I don't really think that's what he's on about...more in his view having worked with Gary Walsh for two months he dosen't think he has got as much coaching knowledge for training keepers as Barrata had (who worked at Inter Milan I think recently).

It shouldn't come as a shock...english coaching is viewed at an all time low on the continent.

8 minutes ago, mwj said:

That's an odd analogy. I would be more concerned if you disagreed with your partner about some facet of the business and said nothing for the duration of your 5 year contract

(Bringing it loosely back to football)

OK. I'll tell him I disagree with him hiring English staff. Then I'll insist on Congolese staff, or I'll damand a move back to the Congo. 

You're right though, it is a poor analogy because I'm his business partner not his employee, so I can basically do what the **** I like.

I'll take my umbongo with me. 

(I am now craving umbongo)

• Like 1

Maybe he was under the impression Barrata would stay regardless of RDM.

Sherwood specifically brought in Tony Parks to work at the club but he stayed on and worked with Remi Garde so there is precedent for it.

I've never quite understood why GK coaches always seem to depart with the manager as has happened frequently in recent times.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

an Italian would know his strengths and weaknesses a little better than whoever we've brought in since SB came in.

Why? That simply doesn't follow. There is nothing intrinsic in being Italian that makes you better at coaching than any other nationality. Otherwise all football coaches would be Italian.

I'm really surprised by this and surprised by the people defending him! You are employed by your club (who pay you millions), not by the club's goalkeeping coach. The coming and going of staff is none of his business unless he has a complete relationship break down with the management, which doesn't appear to be the case.

I stuck up from Gollini through his errors but now I feel a bit betrayed as he's just blaming any old crap rather than owing up to the fact that he might not be ready and needs to knuckle down and improve.

Sell sell sell. We don't need these attitudes at Villa. We have had enough of this shite over the years from juvenile princesses like him who think they're owed the world. Steve Bruce & team have seen plenty of decent goalkeepers excel in their time so don't give me this crap about training. Don't give him a second chance.

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can sort of see where Gollini is coming from...an Italian would know his strengths and weaknesses a little better than whoever we've brought in since SB came in.

Yes it's a petty reason for leaving but that's the modern player these days.

Steve Bruce and his coaching team have got a decent tune out of some pretty average goalkeepers in recent years . . . nobody really thinks Allen MacGregor or David Marshall are world-beaters, but they got plenty of good performances out of them. 

Regardless, no matter what, Gollini's a complete bell-end. Of course you can't dictate the nationality of the goalkeeping coach. @rodders0223 is right, at the end of the day he's a complete **** nobody who has achieved nothing in the game yet. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

There is clearly more to his going than Bruce just wanting to swap one young inexperienced keeper with another,  so that is that mystery sold. 

So that's two of our summer signings which have backfired,  great. 

I have said in here 2 or 3 times,  how much would an experienced championship stopper really cost.  Say from who came 5th or 6th last year? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK. I'll tell him I disagree with him hiring English staff. Then I'll insist on Congolese staff, or I'll damand a move back to the Congo. 

You're right though, it is a poor analogy because I'm his business partner not his employee, so I can basically do what the **** I like.

I'll take my umbongo with me. 

(I am now craving umbongo)

Not sure how this will work once Brexit is in full effect.

Well that explains a lot. Wasn't sure of coming here and his arm had to be twisted with an Italian goalkeeping coach. I prefer players that want to be here for AVFC rather than a coach. Shame as I thought he had great potential but if he don't want to be here then bye. Given this I am disappointed we have loaned him instead of selling, but I suppose if he does do well his value will shoot up. Silver lining and all that jazz :) 

So all the criticism at the time about Bruce dropping him, and it was probably due to him not wanting to play for us anymore. The guy obviously never wanted to come here in the first place and was probably lured by the extra cash coming to England, if his only incentive was an Italian goalkeeping coach to stay here.  

There could easily have been a little lost in translation couldn't there? I mean if I got an offer to go play for an Italian team, no clue to the culture or people, no family there etc I probably wouldn't be interested especially for a Div 2 team - now if they told me David Beckham would be my coach and work with me daily I could change my mind and would be extremely disappointed if he were to leave after 3 months and some Italian guy I'd never heard of took his place. Not being fluent in Italian means I may well end up saying something similar when in reality what I would mean is I'm a bit disappointed and homesick...

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK. I'm going to call my business partner up in the morning and tell him that from now on, we're only employing people from the Democratic Republic of Congo. I simply won't work with anyone not from the Democratic Republic of Congo. 

If he doesn't like it, that's his problem. Idiot.

as I'm my own boss I'll employ who I want

If I dont like it, I'll just F*** off

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

There could easily have been a little lost in translation couldn't there? I mean if I got an offer to go play for an Italian team, no clue to the culture or people, no family there etc I probably wouldn't be interested especially for a Div 2 team - now if they told me David Beckham would be my coach and work with me daily I could change my mind and would be extremely disappointed if he were to leave after 3 months and some Italian guy I'd never heard of took his place. Not being fluent in Italian means I may well end up saying something similar when in reality what I would mean is I'm a bit disappointed and homesick...

He was in the Man Utd youth team for years. 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I'm really surprised by this and surprised by the people defending him! You are employed by your club (who pay you millions), not by the club's goalkeeping coach. The coming and going of staff is none of his business...

I'm more surprised by the vitriol he's getting for this. 

He obviously asked to work with an Italian goalkeeping coach before he joined - which we hired. Our managerial regime has since changed and we don't have an Italian goalkeeping coach. Gollini doesn't want to work like that and asks to move away - his request is granted. 

It's an odd request but I can't really see what anyone has done "wrong" here. 

• Like 3

Â