Andrew Stone

Rob182

At Southampton he was some sort of analyst, I think he has the same job here, pretty much replacing Almstadt. I've no idea if he's the 'Technical Director' that was spoken about, I was expecting a bigger name for that job. But good luck to him whatever is role shall be.

• Like 1

This looks like a great appointment to me.  Southampton have been doing exceptionally well in recent times - lets hope he can bring some of that expertise here.  Also seems to be a RDM connection - Di Matteo took over at MK Dons on July 2008 when Stone was team performance analyst. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewstone24

Andrew Stone background and experience

Head Analyst - Southampton Football Club - April 2012 – Present (4 years 4 months)

First Team Performance Analyst - Southampton Football Club - June 2010 – April 2012 (1 year 11 months)

First Team Performance Analyst - Milton Keynes Dons Football Club - June 2006 – May 2010 (4 years)

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

Bloody kept this one quiet didn't they? Some very decent signings in here since he started with Southampton 6 years ago:

2015/16

Harry Lewis Shrewsbury Signed 01 Jul, 2015
Cuco Martina FC Twente £1,000,000 07 Jul, 2015
Jordy Clasie Feyenoord £8,000,000 15 Jul, 2015
Oriol Romeu Chelsea £5,000,000 12 Aug, 2015
Virgil van Dijk Celtic £11,500,000 01 Sep, 2015
Charlie Austin QPR £4,000,000 16 Jan, 2016
Nathan Redmond Norwich £10,000,000 25 Jun, 2016

2014/15

Isaac Nehemie Southampton   01 Jul, 2014
Dusan Tadic FC Twente £10,900,000 08 Jul, 2014
Graziano Pelle Feyenoord £8,000,000 12 Jul, 2014
Fraser Forster Celtic £10,000,000 09 Aug, 2014
Shane Long Hull £12,000,000 14 Aug, 2014
Florin Gardos Steaua £4,000,000 14 Aug, 2014
Sadio Mane RB Salzburg £11,800,000 01 Sep, 2014
Ryan Bertrand Chelsea £10,000,000 02 Feb, 2015
Juanmi Malaga £5,000,000 16 Jun, 2015
Cedric Soares Sp. Lisbon £4,700,000 18 Jun, 2015
Harry Lewis Shrewsbury Signed 01 Jul, 2015

2013/14

Dejan Lovren Lyon £8,500,000 14 Jun, 2013
Victor Wanyama Celtic £12,500,000 11 Jul, 2013
Pablo Osvaldo Roma £15,000,000 18 Aug, 2013

2012/13

Steve Davis Rangers Free 06 Jul, 2012
Nathaniel Clyne C Palace Signed 18 Jul, 2012
Paulo Gazzaniga Gillingham Signed 20 Jul, 2012
Emmanuel Mayuka Young Boys Signed 29 Aug, 2012
Maya Yoshida VVV Venlo Signed 30 Aug, 2012
Gaston Ramirez Bologna £12,000,000 31 Aug, 2012
Artur Boruc Fiorentina Free 22 Sep, 2012
Vegard Forren Molde Signed 18 Jan, 2013

2011/12

Jack Cork Chelsea Signed 11 Jul, 2011
Steve De Ridder De Graafschap Signed 22 Jul, 2011
Daniel Fox Burnley Signed 11 Aug, 2011
Jos Hooiveld Celtic Signed 31 Aug, 2011
Tadanari Lee Sanf Hiroshima Free 25 Jan, 2012
Billy Sharp Doncaster £1,800,000 30 Jan, 2012
Jay Rodriguez Burnley £6,000,000 10 Jun, 2012

2010/11

Danny Butterfield C Palace Free 17 Jul, 2010
Jonathan Forte Scunthorpe Signed 31 Jan, 2011
Richard Chaplow Southampton Signed 31 Jan, 2011
Jack Stephens Plymouth £150,000 21 Apr, 2011

Tadic, Mane, Long, Van Dijk, Clyne, Lovren, Wanyama, Forster, Pelle.... All worth 20-30million

This is a great signing.

Just now, useless said:

At Southampton he was some sort of analyst, I think he has the same job here, pretty much replacing Almstadt. I've no idea if he's the 'Technical Director' that was spoken about, I was expecting a bigger name for that job. But good luck to him whatever is role shall be.

I think someone posted on here last season that Southampton's recruitment is based upon a group of people sat in a dark room watching hours upon hours of videos and analysing upon that.  Tbh I can't see it being that much different to how we or any other club does things, the key is that Di Matteo seems to have chosen him and will work with this system better than Tactics Tim did.  Still, it's a positive move judging from that list of players.

• Like 1

This is from a few years back but here's the Southampton recruitment team at the time a I presume it's pretty similar now...

' Senior Recruitment Officer Bill Green
Scouting & Recruitment Manager Paul Mitchell
Performance Analyst (Academy) Natasha Patel
Research Analyst (Recruitment) Ian Torrance
Research Analyst (Performance) Scott Waters
Scouting Administrator Victoria Spensley
Performance Analyst Tom Stockwell
Youth Recruitment Officer Rod Ruddick
Academy Recruitment Scout Chris Welman
Bath Academy Recruitment Co-ordinator Stewart Naughton
Head Analyst Andrew Stone '

Saintsweb

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think someone posted on here last season that Southampton's recruitment is based upon a group of people sat in a dark room watching hours upon hours of videos and analysing upon that.  Tbh I can't see it being that much different to how we or any other club does things, the key is that Di Matteo seems to have chosen him and will work with this system better than Tactics Tim did.  Still, it's a positive move judging from that list of players.

I suspect he will be involved in helping to improve the performance of the squad, not just recruitment.

20 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think Stone is responsible for scouting those players.

Not solely, he would have been tasked with providing statiscal analysis of them though and to give recommendations based on his work. No one person would have been responsible for that list. Stone could be a valuable part of a new team at Villa park given the job of recruiting players.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Not solely, he would have been tasked with providing statiscal analysis of them though and to give recommendations based on his work. No one person would have been responsible for that list. Stone could be a valuable part of a new team at Villa park given the job of recruiting players.

Moneyball!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a piece of the puzzle. Yes his CV reads well because of the scouting team he was a part of at Southampton, but he's likely here to also assist in setting up a similar structure here. I mean their scouting team is insane. Sure probably similar to most other well run clubs but we don't have anything like that, we have never really had anything like that and looking at the kind of hit and miss signings we make it's likely down to that. So yeah Andrew Stone may not be the singular saviour that hand selected every gem Southampton uncovered, but he may be the head of a soon to be formed scouting team to be proud of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Moneyball!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! For €2600 over here you can do a course in Milan for a year analysing players in-game then you get a years placement at a club. Turing into the norm very rapidly.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

This is a good article - it doesn't mention Stone by name but shows how the analysts work. I don't think they have anything to do with scouting players.

Excellent article, makes you wonder at Koeman a bit, moving away from what sounds like as good a set up as he would find anywhere.

29 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Excellent article, makes you wonder at Koeman a bit, moving away from what sounds like as good a set up as he would find anywhere.

Reading that you can see the logic behind what Fox, Riley, Almstad etc were actually trying to achieve last year. They clearly just didn't have the expertise to do it, or perhaps tried to do it in one summer whereas Southampton were able to do it over a number of years in the lower leagues. Hard to know where it went wrong - I think there's much more to it than saying they just bought rubbish players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Reading that you can see the logic behind what Fox, Riley, Almstad etc were actually trying to achieve last year. They clearly just didn't have the expertise to do it, or perhaps tried to do it in one summer whereas Southampton were able to do it over a number of years in the lower leagues. Hard to know where it went wrong - I think there's much more to it than saying they just bought rubbish players.

The key is having the manager to make it work, we had Sherwood who didn't seem to have a clue.  I wonder if Garde hadn't gone to us last season and ruined his reputation, just how close he'd have been to getting the Saints job now.

7 hours ago, useless said:

Such as?

Â