Ian Taylor

sidcow

taylor must be up there with god as one of the most universally loved ex players?

fair play to him, always a nice bloke, i think he's actually quite reserved on twitter and in the media, he's not someone being a rent a gob looking for a soundbite

travel the world on the clubs behalf spreading the good word, not a bad way to make a living, he deserves it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who is SBL?

Brian Little?

Yes  sorry I thought I had picked that up from here  Sir Brian Little

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I note the OS states that Ian Taylor and SBL are part of the official new kit launch tomorrow. 

I believe Ian Taylor was kicked off official club duties by the Lerner regime after criticising the running of the club?  

Wasn't that Stanley Victor Collymore rather then Ian?  

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He deserves to be revered purely for his many many solid performances in the Villa shirt but the fact that he was one of us living the dream and the fact that he came from non league football to the very top elevates him to an almost unique platform really. 

I would add a story that I think I may have recounted on here before. 

My old boss was a member of a certain gym for many years and kind of loosely got to know this black feller who was there a lot at the same time.   They used to talk about the villa a lot when it became clear he was a fan. 

After a couple of years of this my boss saw him on the telly sitting next to Ian Taylor at a game.   Next time he saw him he asked him about this and it turned out this guy was Ian Taylor's brother.   Not once in all the years of talking about Villa did he mention he was Taylor's brother and try to bask in reflected glory which I am sure speaks a lot about the family  I reckon there are thousands who would mention that in the first breath when talking about the villa. 

I've known Andy(Tayls bro) for years played football with and against in the local Saturday Midlands leagues.....

im not basking in the glory of knowing him tho.. Honest I'm not:P 

seriously tho top bloke..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Upper north stander said:

I've known Andy(Tayls bro) for years played football with and against in the local Saturday Midlands leagues.....

im not basking in the glory of knowing him tho.. Honest I'm not:P 

seriously tho top bloke..

Yeah well you've said it now blimmin glory hunter.  Show off show off pick your nose and blow off! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I note the OS states that Ian Taylor and SBL are part of the official new kit launch tomorrow. 

I believe Ian Taylor was kicked off official club duties by the Lerner regime after criticising the running of the club?  

Seems to be welcomed back in by the new Chinese overlords (who I for one welcome) which is great news 

I sat behind him in the stands last year on a corporate doo and he was genuinely very pleasant and down to earth.   A true Villa Man through and through and if he criticises the running of club he should be listened to and not kicked out. 

Welcome back Ian. 

Awesome news.  I love Ian Taylor - demonstrated everything in a player that our squad has lacked for the last 4 or 5 seasons.  The more we can get the likes of him and Little around our players and youth teams the better.  Hopefully, their enthusiasm will be as infectious as the recent malaise that hamstrung the club was.  Trying hard not to get too excited with all the positive vibes that I'm feeling!

• Like 3

Maximum respect for Ian Taylor, one of my favourite players from the late 20th Century era. That League Cup win in 1996, where the local lad scored for us was really kind of 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff and was quite an emotional day on many levels. I'll always remember him for 'that' moment personally. I have met him a couple of times and he seems like a good, decent and fun bloke. I couldn't think of a more reliable and positive icon of a footballer from that era to represent us to be honest. Most of the others either stabbed us in the back, fell off the rails or just simple don't inspire us.

Welcome back Ian <big time man hug>

Now then, is there a place here for Big Mac?

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

I used to watch Moor Green back in the day and remember IT7 playing for them.

He was clearly better than everyone around him. He was always a lovely bloke going back there. Never struck me as thinking he was better than the others (he was, of course).

I recall being at the Midland Floodlit Cup final (honest) which was played at the Olbion. IT7 hit a dipping shot from 35 yards out that just dipped over the bar. He played really well.

I recall reading somewhere later that John Rudge (Port Vale) was there and left early. Other scouts there thought he didn't rate IT7. Turns out he'd made up his mind to sign him and didn't need to see the rest of the game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

I used to watch Moor Green back in the day and remember IT7 playing for them.

He was clearly better than everyone around him. He was always a lovely bloke going back there. Never struck me as thinking he was better than the others (he was, of course).

I recall being at the Midland Floodlit Cup final (honest) which was played at the Olbion. IT7 hit a dipping shot from 35 yards out that just dipped over the bar. He played really well.

I recall reading somewhere later that John Rudge (Port Vale) was there and left early. Other scouts there thought he didn't rate IT7. Turns out he'd made up his mind to sign him and didn't need to see the rest of the game.

My great grandad was apparently chairman of Moor green years ago.  I lived in hall green for years and used to hear the crowd if the wind was right.  Always meant to go there but never made it. 

• Like 1

I should buy Solihull Moors for a pound. Do you think it'll suffice?

Or alternatively, I can use that money to buy Flabby to use as a training bag.

Edited by meme

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My great grandad was apparently chairman of Moor green years ago.  I lived in hall green for years and used to hear the crowd if the wind was right.  Always meant to go there but never made it. 

Some fun times at the Moors. I have fond memories.

Obviously some fans were primarily following Villa, the noses, the Tesco bags. Some players who'd played for them worked their way down to the Moors. Sometimes you saw players you knew off the telly or your sticker albums and there they were, trudging off to the dressing room so close you could sneeze and they'd hear you.

Some terrific players down there over the years - Phil Davies, Dave Fearon, Stewart Talbot (who also went to Port Vale and who I thought would go higher but didn't), Graham Clegg.

I recall one team (I think it was Worcester or Waterlooville) bringing a keeper who, um, had clearly eaten three good meals a day. Actually, make that an hour. The home stand was so close to the goals you could easily hold a conversation with the keeper. We had a good half of football and to top it off, whenever the ball left his area he literally turned his back on the play to have the banter with us like we were all at a bus stop.

We had a real rivalry with Solihull Borough and those matches always had some needle to them. Never saw the merger coming but I understood the business reasons for it.

40 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Some fun times at the Moors. I have fond memories.

Obviously some fans were primarily following Villa, the noses, the Tesco bags. Some players who'd played for them worked their way down to the Moors. Sometimes you saw players you knew off the telly or your sticker albums and there they were, trudging off to the dressing room so close you could sneeze and they'd hear you.

Some terrific players down there over the years - Phil Davies, Dave Fearon, Stewart Talbot (who also went to Port Vale and who I thought would go higher but didn't), Graham Clegg.

I recall one team (I think it was Worcester or Waterlooville) bringing a keeper who, um, had clearly eaten three good meals a day. Actually, make that an hour. The home stand was so close to the goals you could easily hold a conversation with the keeper. We had a good half of football and to top it off, whenever the ball left his area he literally turned his back on the play to have the banter with us like we were all at a bus stop.

We had a real rivalry with Solihull Borough and those matches always had some needle to them. Never saw the merger coming but I understood the business reasons for it.

A guy I used to work with was an avid Villa fan for years but fell out of love with it in the Premier League years, like a lot of people I guess,  so he started going to see his home town team Tamworth and now is a fanatic.   Travels to games with the team sometimes and seems to personally know all the players and staff. I can see how this interpersonal relationship with your team can be attractive when you see the disconnect most PL players and clubs have with the fans now. 

Personally I ain't there yet and despite an emotionless 12 months just gone I think next season I will be back living and breathing the mighty Villa once again,  got loads of away days planned, .just not on the team coach. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A guy I used to work with was an avid Villa fan for years but fell out of love with it in the Premier League years, like a lot of people I guess,  so he started going to see his home town team Tamworth and now is a fanatic.   Travels to games with the team sometimes and seems to personally know all the players and staff. I can see how this interpersonal relationship with your team can be attractive when you see the disconnect most PL players and clubs have with the fans now. 

Personally I ain't there yet and despite an emotionless 12 months just gone I think next season I will be back living and breathing the mighty Villa once again,  got loads of away days planned, .just not on the team coach. 

The Moors clubhouse was right by the stand so you could go in and often meet players. You could see them in the car park as you had to walk through there to get to the pitch.

There weren't that many autograph hunters, actually. I guess they were just folk like us, or that's how we felt. You do have a little more connection with them as they drive cars just like many of the fans.

Yeah, it's been a rough 12 months indeed. Brighter now, I think. There seems to be direction now, not just crisis management.

I never felt as if was cheating on Villa, going to the Moors. The fun thing was you never knew when the next new player came in, if he was young, would he be the next IT7 or something like that?

I mentioned Stewart Talbot. Fine player - close to IT7, I thought, but not quite good enough. He went on to play in the Anglo Italian Cup in 1996 with Vale. Lost in the final to Genoa. Genoa included Vincenzo Montella (Italian international, now managing Milan) and John van't Schip, 40-cap Dutch international. All from the Moors!

I should add to the list of ex-Moors - Dave Busst (honourable mention to Bobby Coy, a great player too). Dave Busst was an excellent defender and like IT7 you knew he had the ability to go far in the game.

You may recall the horror injury that ended his career for Coventry at Old Trafford.

18 minutes ago, Heretic said:

John van't Schip, 40-cap Dutch international. All from the Moors!

Haha you dirty old dog talking about Dutch Caps:P

• Like 1

Â