Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?

Spoony

Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe some of them (specify)

Guzan- no as he's been in decline for years not just last season

Richards - he seems to care, but just isn't very good, maybe at right back?

Lescott - i think he could be redeemable just think it's unlikely

Bacuna- NO - he was average when he was good

Gabby- NO NO NO and NO

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

NO. This is the biggest mistake he/we could make.  RDM needs to be ruthless and get these players out and get better players in.

Gabby no - simply not good enough and a bad example.

Lescott no - too slow and prone to errors (on and off pitch)

Richards no - a walking disaster in defense

Bacuna NO - lazy and poor (the worst of the lot for me)

Guzan no - confidence too brittle, but wish him well

This! Sums my feelings up perfectly.

'Champions League'-gate with Bacuna didn't really bother me much anyway. As for the others, possibly Richards. Lescott, nah. Gabby absolutely in no uncertain terms must kindly piss off. I've never detested a Villa player more.

Edit: Forgot about Guzan...aaaand nope.

Edited by Isa

I think we need a fresh start first and foremost. If we are unable to offload some of these players then I would want them as far away from the first team as possible. They've been pure poison for us both ability and attitude-wise. Off with them!

• Like 1

Guzan - yes. I wouldn't be adversed to him sticking around and getting back to his best. There is a good keeper in there (somewhere)

Richards - No. Was supposedly club captain but showed no commitment or professionalism once Timmy got binned.

Lescott - No. Physically he's not upto the rigours of 3 games a week and was getting more error prone as the games rolled by.

Bacuna - No. His rapport with the fanbase will never return (and he wasn't much cop either)

Gabby - No. There are times when a player can outgrow the club they're at. Sadly Gabby mistook this saying and did it literally....

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

People are missing the point of the question.  It's not "Are these players good enough?" it's "Do you give these players a second chance?".

For me, I'd like to think they all have a clean slate now (apart from perhaps Lescott who has shown nothing at all at any point).  Fans are, quite rightly, incredibly annoyed at their performances on the pitch.  If these changed for the better, I'd be OK with that.

true, but why would you give underachievers with little to no ability a second chance? It's not like they haven't had time to show what they are (in)capable of.

Just now, osmark86 said:

true, but why would you give underachievers with little to no ability a second chance? It's not like they haven't had time to show what they are (in)capable of.

Because they obviously have ability.  Best players in the World, they are not - but they're certainly better than they were last season.

I'd hope that Di Matteo assesses them, just like every other squad member, before deciding on those he needs and those he doesn't.  To just completely discard them without doing this would be foolish, IMO.

• Like 3

Just now, bobzy said:

Because they obviously have ability.  Best players in the World, they are not - but they're certainly better than they were last season.

I'd hope that Di Matteo assesses them, just like every other squad member, before deciding on those he needs and those he doesn't.  To just completely discard them without doing this would be foolish, IMO.

Sure, they're not completely useless but they've fallen so far out with the fans and made so many excruciating mistakes both on and off the pitch that I believe it could be detrimental to the rest of our team. This is not a risk I'd be willing to take given our opportunity to start anew with fresh hope. However, it's not my decision and if RDM can somehow turn some of these players around then I'll be stoked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Sure, they're not completely useless but they've fallen so far out with the fans and made so many excruciating mistakes both on and off the pitch that I believe it could be detrimental to the rest of our team. This is not a risk I'd be willing to take given our opportunity to start anew with fresh hope. However, it's not my decision and if RDM can somehow turn some of these players around then I'll be stoked.

Oh, I agree.  If Di Matteo wanted to sack them all off completely, I wouldn't mind at all!  However, they are still under contract here and, if he decides that one or two of them can do a job for him, I'd be happy for them to be included in our squad for next season.

• Like 1

Richards - could possibly become decent and did show some ambition/passion last season, though he always seems to blame everyone around him, even when it's him making mistakes (which does not point to a player who is willing to improve).

Guzan - Needs to loose a few stones, he would not be a disaster to retain, but I would rather he left and we got a decent goalie instead. 

Lescott - Was a disaster (Demichelles level) at City in his final season, his legs have gone and he seems to have an awful attitude. 

Gabby- the biggest sinner in my book, overweight, awful attitude and seems to have the attitude of Zlatan without the ability. The not celebrating the goal vs. Norwich was just too much for me, of course fans have the right to question him, he's been shit. Getting rid of him would be the best business we could do this summer imo. Awful player with awful attitude and ability, only positive attribute he had was his speed, but he is not even a little bit quick anymore and I beg to Xia that he releases him. A legend in the making who has now become my personal most hated ever human being.

Bacuna - did not like his attitude, but controversially, I feel that he is the best right back in our team, people saying he is not, are blind for how they hate him personally. He is not our worst player, but he certainly wont be missed or even remembered after leaving, but he is not our worst player and is 10x the footballer than what Hutton is.  

In no real order -

Gabby. Is this officially his first "second chance"? Either way, no thanks.

Guzan. I'd be ok him being our sub keeper. But doubt he would want that.

Lescott. For reasons already stated, no thanks. 

Bacuna. I really wanted to like him, I thought he would be useful being able to play in various positions. But he can't really. So no thanks.

Richards. I'm a bit torn on him. I have the impression that when things are going great, he'd be the best person to have around, this is sadly not the case when things are not going well. I think his celebration against Watford and that instance of him at least trying to placate the away fans in that FA cup game suggests to me he can give a shit about the club. But I'm unsure and not overly fussed. In the event of staying, only to be played as a right back.

Regardless of whether they stay or not, they pretty much all need media training anyway.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

It's not really a second chance anyway.  Gabby had two 'pre-seasons' and two fat camps.  They all had chances to impress under 4 managers last season.

And this wouldn't be the full list of outs for me either - happy to see the back of Hutton and Rudy too.

isn't rdm answering the question the way all new managers do when asked about certain players.no new manager says,"no way i'm kicking the words removed out the door".

to me it's just new manager speak.anyway it's a resounding no from me on all of them.

Edited by krisagg75

No to all five for me!  We've talked about changing the mentality/culture of the squad and this won't happen if senior figures stick around.  We need a clean break and new blood like Elphick brought in to captain the side and show better leadership.  

• Like 2

Of the five names highlighted, there is an odd one out. Richards.

Unless I missed something, he was not involved in any controversy last year. He spoke to fans but, in my opinion, came across quite well. Now if the question is about who shoukd get a second chance based on their attitude, then I'd argue he hasn't used up his first chance to be honest. If we're talking about talent/ quality then maybe it's a different question.

So, for me it'd be; 

Guzan - give him a chance to redeem himself. He'd be an asset if head and form in right place.

Lescott - get rid. Attitude appalling, mistakes are plentiful. If he really was a Villa fan, why wait til the end of his career to join us?

Bacuna - get rid. Doesn't take the job seriously ever, never puts in a shift and lacks any true quality from open play.

Gabby - torn. Too many chances given really, but with his pace/ physicality and head in right place he'd do well in Championship.

Richards - keep. I've never questioned his attitude, just needs to be RB not CB.

But, like 99% of the squad, if they all went I wouldn't care! I just desperately want N'zogbia, Richardson, Lescott and Sanchez out. Two down, two to go.

Â