Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?

Spoony

Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Gabby/Lescott/Richards/Bacuna/Guzan a second chance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe some of them (specify)

“I will have discussions with all the players, not just one or two. That’s the way I manage. At the end of the day there are rules people have to obey. I have had very difficult dressing rooms in the past and have always been able to sort them out and make them work together.

“If you have children, you probably know that every child you have to treat differently. It is the same, you have 25 individuals and everyone responds differently.”

Lescott, Micah Richards and Leandro Bacuna were jeered by the Villa fans during a poisonous end to the season but Di Matteo believes that broken relationship can be repaired.

Di Matteo added: “If there is a willingness from each side there can be a future but you are going back to the past again and it’s something I don’t really want to judge too much because I wasn’t here.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/16/aston-villa-roberto-di-matteo-discipline

So Roberto Di Matteo has intimated that he is willing to give second chances to the current crop of players.

I have added the pool which includes what I believe have become our most vilified players. But the question is, are you actually willing to give them a second chance or do you think their performances and attitude last season is irredemable?

For me, now the dust has settled, if they can really show they are willing to pull there socks up then I would give them all a chance in the Championship and stop the jeering.

• Like 1

It's best for everyone (well, except some of their bank balances) that they move on. Even the ones that aren't actively disliked (I don't think Guzan is for example), the minute he makes a mistake, the old wounds are going to be reopened and the fans will get on his back. His reputation at this club is **** beyond the point of repair, IMO.

Gabby and Lescott...Well, as well as not being good enough, they're a pair of words removed. **** them off. I wouldn't boo them next season, but I certainly won't cheer for them.

Edited by Davkaus

Guzan-Maybe, if he can get his hunger back and sort his head out i'd possibly be okay with him staying.

Richards-Yes, Keep as right back. Could do a good job in the Championship although only if his wages have dropped due to being relegated.

Lescott-No, legs went years ago. Way past his best.

Bacuna-No, attitude is all wrong.

Gabby-No, been living off a few decent seasons 7/8 years ago. Burnt too many bridges.

• Like 1

If RDM thinks they are redeemable, then fine, lets see. I think he'll get a couple of them playing better than last season.

Worst case, they are still rubbish and can be sold / loaned out / dropped in a vat of acid in January.

• Like 1

Yeah - what Davkaus said.

Last season was too disastrous and those that are most tainted with that need to go. They had chances under Sherwood, K-Mac, Garde and Black and nothing changed.  RDM would be flogging a number of dead horses.  

We have hope now - we need to bring that fresh impetus into the squad.

15 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Guzan-Maybe, if he can get his hunger back and sort his head out i'd possibly be okay with him staying.

Richards-Yes, Keep as right back. Could do a good job in the Championship although only if his wages have dropped due to being relegated.

Lescott-No, legs went years ago. Way past his best.

Bacuna-No, attitude is all wrong.

Gabby-No, been living off a few decent seasons 7/8 years ago. Burnt too many bridges.

Agree with these. If RDM believes he can work with them then I'll trust that. I'll certainly be watching them in preseason though and if they haven't improved by the end of the transfer window I'll be expecting them to move on.

Lescott needs to go though. Completely wrong attitude and he did himself no favours with the fans last year.

Gabby is in a similar state and unless he turns up for preseason fit and in shape I'll be expecting him to move on as well. 

Gabby - No. Attitude gone. The epitome of what is wrong with the club unfortunately. No chance. 

Lescott - No. Attitude not there. Concerns about legs. Liability.

Richards - Maybe but unlikely. Even at RB a defensive liability. Ego appears to be too much. If took massive wage cut, stayed at RB and kept his head down and worked (and no longer captain) maybe.

Bacuna - Maybe but unlikely. Apologise for comments. Show he is fully committed to the team. Could be a useful squad player. Feel however since that comment in March has completely lost the fans to the extent of no return. Pretty sure he wouldn't want to be a squad player in the Championship. 

Guzan - Maybe. Inept last season but does have some ability. If RDM has faith in him and brings back old form could be fine; but I feel too much water under the bridge so probably better for both us and him to have a fresh start. Down to RDM on this and would trust his judgement. 

• Like 1

If we can move them on we should, even it means paying them up.

But if they are still here next season, then they get another chance from me. It would be the best thing for Villa at that point, as much as I wouldn't like it. 

However, may patience with those players would be short should they continue where they left off last season. 

I'm in the no camp.  From an attitude perspective it is clear that when things are going badly these players pull apart and make things worse.  The appearance of being a good solid pro is what got them the job here in the first place, I'm sure they can pull that trick off again in preseason and I don't want to get lumbered with them in the long term.  When the chips are down you can't trust them.  It will take very little to break the optimism in the club at the moment and the idea of Richards, Lescott, Bacuna and Gabby starting next season would really blunt my enthusiasm for the season. 

I don't really include Guzan in the bad attitude group, but I would still like to see a new keeper brought in purely on ability issues.

Jesus, people saying keep Richards. I despair. His killer combination of talent, attitude, and positioning makes him one of the worst defenders I've had the misfortune to watch play for Villa.

• Like 2

Â