Keith Wyness

villan-scott

Darius Vassell calling for Gabby to be signed up about 6 months earlier while he still had over a year to run on his previous deal...

Darius Vassell: "Gabby Agbonlahor is the Giggs of Aston Villa. 

Darius Vassell says club must keep Gabby Agbonlahor and save a fortune having to replace him

April 3, 2014

Aston Villa have been urged to sign up Gabby Agbonlahor on a new deal because the club's answer to "Ryan Giggs"  would cost a fortune to replace.

This is the verdict of former claret and blue striker Darius Vassell, who feels his fellow Brummie still has plenty to offer. Agbonlahor has just over a year remaining on his contract and the 27 year old forward is set to be offered a new deal this summer.

Vassell believes it would suit Agbonlahor and Villa if their current longest serving player stayed to finish his career at the club. Agbonlahor made his first team debut eight years ago and Vassell has likened him to Giggs at Manchester United in terms of his stalwart status. 

"Right now, where Villa are at, they should keep him and he should sign that deal and continue to progress," said Vassell.

"I don't think there's much else out there for him. He's a home grown player, loves the club and his family is based here so why not be another Giggs? Be the Giggs of Villa.

"I don't know how you replace a player like that, it would cost a lot of money which we haven't got now. They need to keep hold of him, look after him and don't neglect him. He's an important player".

Vassell left Villa in his mid 20's, having scored 35 goals in 162 appearances between 1998 and 2005 after progressing through the Bodymoor Heath Academy.

He reckons Agbonlahor, a fellow youth team graduate, has reached a similar stage in his claret and blue career, but should stay at his boyhood club.

"He's at that crossroads - I was at a similar stage," said Vassell.

"I left when I was 24 and you make that decision, 'How am I doing at the club?' Gabby is doing well and you know what you're going to get from him each season.

"He hasn't had that super season - which he is certainly capable of - where he gets 20 goals single handedly, but he's an important player".

Agbonlahor has only scored three Premier League goals this season, against Southampton, Swansea and Sunderland, but has claimed 5 assists. 

Despite his lack of goals, Vassell believes Villa's number 11 boasts attributes that many of his team mates are not blessed with. 

"He works hard and there was a time when he was the focal point in our attack," he added.

"It's hard for him to be that now but don't forget Gabby. There are other good players but he offers things which other players don't have".

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-darius-vassell-says-6911475

Edited by Michael118

57 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Darius Vassell calling for Gabby to be signed up about 6 months earlier while he still had over a year to run on his previous deal...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-darius-vassell-says-6911475

Sorry fella, not too sure what point you are trying to make with an article written 2014, off topic much?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

Sorry fella, not too sure what point you are trying to make with an article written 2014, off topic much?

Just pointing out that not everybody out there felt Gabby's contract extension in 2014 was 'undeserved', irrespective of the length or timing of it. It was in defense of Tom Fox who gets a fairly harsh ride on here and was being criticized for it on the previous page.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And as I've said many times I don't have a problem with that. He gets paid for the job he does. He will prosper mainly from ground development and then move on. That is his main concern. In what state the playing team is in by the time he leaves, only time will tell. But the stadium will be vastly improved I am sure of that. 

Mate to be honest if this is successful, it in turn means we are successful, so we really shouldn't care about what he get's out of it.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate to be honest if this is successful, it in turn means we are successful, so we really shouldn't care about what he get's out of it.

Does it though? Look at Sunderland. Great new stadium and not so successful now. As soon as we are in the top flight expansion will start regardless of the playing team and current attendances. We could end up a championship team with a 50k seater stadium. Plus a new CEO.  

Suppose we could always close 2 stands. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As soon as we are in the top flight expansion will start regardless of the playing team and current attendances. We could end up a championship team with a 50k seater stadium. Plus a new CEO.  

Suppose we could always close 2 stands. 

When's the right time to modernise the stadium then?

And you're not giving our owner much credit either.  He's apparently an urban redevelopment expert, and he'll be having the final say on an expenditure like that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

When's the right time to modernise the stadium then?

And you're not giving our owner much credit either.  He's apparently an urban redevelopment expert, and he'll be having the final say on an expenditure like that.

I think the right time to increase the capacity is once we close to regularly filling what we have. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the right time to increase the capacity is once we close to regularly filling what we have. 

That is perhaps why they are working on it now so it is all ready by the time it comes to needing it.

Tony wants us up with the elite within 5 years. By my reconing he is 3 years away and so everything will coincide having such lavish and updated facilities and I am confident we will have a squad and a manager to match it too so we will no problem fill 50/60,000 when that time comes.

There is a fear we could do a Sunderland absolutely, but from a man with such a developmental nouse I don't see us falling the same wire and I trust the project.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Ryan Giggs? :crylaugh: Its almost as bad when we signed the Togonese Zidane Salifou 

Aston Villa chief executive Keith Wyness reveals transfer agreement with Steve Round

ASTON VILLA chief executive Keith Wyness says the club have been waiting patiently for their top transfer targets to become available.

The Championship promotion hopefuls are restricted to loan deals in the January window due to Financial Fair Play restrictions. 

They sealed their first arrival of the month yesterday with Axel Tuanzebe joining from Manchester United until the end of the season. 

And Wyness has revealed that an agreement was reached with director of football Steve Round to only sign players if they would improve Steve Bruce’s first-team squad. 

During a conservation with On The Bish podcast, Wyness said: “The way we approach it, particularly in this window, Steve Round and I are on the phone about seven or eight times a day. 

“What we agreed at the start of the window was that we wouldn’t be taking anyone in unless they could go right into the squad and make a big impact and is better than what we already had. 

“We didn’t need strengthening we thought in terms of depth of the squad so it really had to be certain players that were going to be quite special. Those players are few and far between and those players, who are potentially going to be loaned from their clubs, those clubs want to wait and see if they’ve got injuries or problems before they let them go. 

“We recognised pretty quickly that anything that was going to be done was going to be towards the back end of the window, probably right down to the last evening, which has happened quite a few times before. 

“I think things will be quite late in terms of developing, things will start this week. 

“January’s tricky. We’re not in the market to buy as has been quite widely publicised due to Financial Fair Play restrictions. 

“It is about loans, it’s down to our black book - Steve Bruce’s black book, Steve Round’s black book and my black book as to the contacts we’ve got at clubs.”

Here

I wonder who else we are looking to bring in.   :detect:

Â