Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hopefully there is an option to buy should the loan go well .

lets hope terry and Chester don’t both get injured at the same time in the run in . 

We also have samba and bruce just spoke positively about suliman in his press conference and unless we have a massive crisis at cb we have cover 

Good move for all parties.

Given his recent performances he'd have been useful to keep as backup. But assuming we're looking to free up wages it's a move that makes sense. We have 4 CBs anyway (including Axel) so we should be ok at CB for the rest of the season.

If this puts him in the shop window as well then even better, as there's no way he's good enough for the prem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Fingers crossed that Snodgrass and Jack don't get injured at the same time else he will look a right tit for letting tish go too!

Tish was a nowhere near the first team or even the bench - elphick was on the bench at least for the last month or so - you need 2 quality defenders in reserve as we have already seen this season by having to shunt jedinak into defence and I’d prefer elphick than Samba if needed .

granted axel will also provide cover for the role but better to be safe than sorry - and I would have kept elphick unless a cash sale was agreed.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Tish was a nowhere near the first team or even the bench - elphick was on the bench at least for the last month or so - you need 2 quality defenders in reserve as we have already seen this season by having to shunt jedinak into defence and I’d prefer elphick than Samba if needed .

granted axel will also provide cover for the role but better to be safe than sorry - and I would have kept elphick unless a cash sale was agreed.

I think you have answered your own point, Axel will be coming in as 3rd choice with Samba covering. I think we are better off tbh.

Elphick will need to be sold regardless next season so he may as well go now. Would have preferred a sale but at least hes in the window now.

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think you have answered your own point, Axel will be coming in as 3rd choice with Samba covering. I think we are better off tbh.

Elphick will need to be sold regardless next season so he may as well go now. Would have preferred a sale but at least hes in the window now.

Yes I would prefer elphick to samba as 4th choice cover 

axel is coming in mainly as defensive midfielder with the ability to cover in defence if needed .

He is not coming to sit on the bench - that’s for sure .

As Bruce has said in today’s press conference - ‘he has  come here to play and he will do “

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Good luck Tommy. No hard feelings, hope you do well for Reading.

I remember seeing him head butt the post before our first game in the Championship against Sheffield Weds (I think it was) to get himself psyched up and thinking blimey this guy is mental. 

Having seen him play subsequently I don't think he ever recovered from that head injury 

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

Doesn't make sense to me unless we have an anytime recall option. This season has already shown we struggle to keep players fit there. 

I don’t think those options are allowed anymore between  windows as Bruce has often said that’s the reason he’s had to block certain young players going on loan as it would mean 4 months and no recall option 

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yes I would prefer elphick to samba as 4th choice cover 

axel is coming in mainly as defensive midfielder with the ability to cover in defence if needed .

He is not coming to sit on the bench - that’s for sure .

As Bruce has said in today’s press conference - ‘he has  come here to play and he will do “

Maybe.  Manc fans are adamant he is a central defender though not a midfielder.

You are probably right where he will play, but if theres a choice he will be in the backline.

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Maybe.  Manc fans are adamant he is a central defender though not a midfielder.

You are probably right where he will play, but if theres a choice he will be in the backline.

I haven't seen him....but sounds more like a utility player to me.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don't really think you can really prevent a 5th choice defender from going out on loan. 

Jedinak has barely been fit all season.

Terry has had a bad injury.

Samba struggles to play two games in a week and has been injured a lot.

Chester is our only reliable option. 

The youngster from Man Utd has a very good reputation but we can't assume he will hit the ground running.

We are in a critical part of the season, and the more options we have the better. If Elphick staying means he plays one game from now to the end of the season but it gets us the extra points for promotion it is much more valuable to us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

Jedinak has barely been fit all season.

Terry has had a bad injury.

Samba struggles to play two games in a week and has been injured a lot.

Chester is our only reliable option. 

The youngster from Man Utd has a very good reputation but we can't assume he will hit the ground running.

We are in a critical part of the season, and the more options we have the better. If Elphick staying means he plays one game from now to the end of the season but it gets us the extra points for promotion it is much more valuable to us. 

This is the key part. We are talking about people here. It ain't champ manager: 

He has been a good professional and wants to play first team football. What kind of club would be to block his move just in case we may need him for the odd game?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is the key part. We are talking about people here. It ain't champ manager: 

He has been a good professional and wants to play first team football. What kind of club would be to block his move just in case we may need him for the odd game?

He's contracted to us, he only just played 3 games last month and did very well. He won't be short of suitors in the summer and its only a few months.

At this part of the season even more injuries occur and its important to keep squad depth as one injury could cost us dearly. 

• Like 2

When it came to needing him this year he's done fine, better than fine even maybe. But overall, in his time here, he's been disappointing. He was brought in as captain so he'll be on a fair whack. When everyone is fit he wont even make the bench. He seems a genuinely nice guy and I doubt anyone here will wish him any harm. If only Richards had the same desire to play. Good luck to him at Reading, if that's where he ends up. But he's hardly an integral member of the squad.

• Like 1

Â