Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

Guess he needs his own thread as he is apparently close to signing. Anyone know how good he is?

Aston Villa's new owner Tony Xia hopes that, inside five years, the Midlands club will be as well known around the world as Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The Chinese businessman outlined his ambitions at his first press conference at Villa Park on Wednesday morning.

"I hope in five years, or after five years, we will talk of this club as Madrid or Barcelona," he told BBC WM.

"Or someone else as well known and accepted by people in the world to say 'oh, that's the greatest club'".

Dr Xia was sat alongside new manager Roberto Di Matteo, who revealed that he hopes his first signing will be Bournemouth defender Tommy Elphick.

The 29-year-old centre-half has discussed personal terms on a £3m deal.

Get out Lescott!

decent start to transfer window if true though I still think he needs a bigger centre back beside him as Okore probably same size

though the article didnt even get his age right :angry:

Pat Murphy seems to think it's all but done, on twitter. Just a case of agreeing personal terms, and it's a done deal. Good first signing, captained Bournemouth to promotion, and has a lot of experience in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Should get along with Grealish...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck_ehrzXEAAByBp.jpg:large

Anyone else think that this is the attitude we need to bring us together as a team? Earn your stripes before you rock up thinking you're a big time Charlie. We need model pros and leaders who can go in and tell people like Grealish to apply himself and pull his socks up (literally).

• Like 4

Just now, JPAngel said:

Anyone else think that this is the attitude we need to bring us together as a team? Earn your stripes before you rock up thinking you're a big time Charlie. We need model pros and leaders who can go in and tell people like Grealish to apply himself and pull his socks up (literally).

I love that!! Thats the attitude we need , not whimps like last season. hopefully this means  richards and lescott :wave:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Just the medicine that

Seems a good solid signing. Captained Bournemouth for two sets of promotions, championship experience, good mentality. On paper the complete opposite of Richards and Lescott in all the right ways.

Would like some big name marquee signings as well but realistically it's not going to happen. I'd like to think though that our biggest signing was more than a defender from Bournemouth :P

It is about horses for courses and Elphick ticks a lot of boxes for me. Experience of captaining a side to promotion from the Championship is exactly what we need. With him on board, and almost certain to be made captain, we will now have a  manager and captain who know what it takes to get out of this division. That is a very good start and it is now about getting another 5 or 6 in alongside them and I'd have no problem if another 3 or 4 of them who do come in know what this division is all about and who have been successful in it.

• Like 3

Â