Fan Trouble at Euro 2016

Genie

Just now, Genie said:

#Englandcouldhostittomorrow

Take it off Russia because their fans are words removed, and give it to England who's fans are words removed. A decision like that has got FIFA written all over it :P

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Take it off Russia because their fans are words removed, and give it to England who's fans are words removed. A decision like that has got FIFA written all over it :P

Haha yes. I only wrote it because it's one of those things that gets banded around all the times whenever a major event is in distress. 

England won't get it anyway, because we don't "play the game" during the bidding process. 

Are you suggesting that sending David Beckham and Prince William wasn't the right tactic? Tut tut :P

England fans advised to go to Lille to watch Wales game as Lens is to small. 

Russia play Slovakia in Lille 24hrs before. 

Great bit of advise.

Edited by Kingman

it was interesting to listen to Football Daily after the England game.

They have a Russian journalist who they speak to and they claimed he had avoided the England Russia game deliberately as the hardcore Russian fans had earmarked it for a while as a game to start trouble at.

I think they spoke to him again in yesterday's pod so would be interesting to hear his reaction.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Is anyone really shocked?

As much as it's been good to see recent tournaments involving England pass off without incident off the pitch they have been in Brazil, Ukraine/Poland and South Africa so not places that were going to attact large travelling support.

A short hop on plane, train, boat or road of course and well France is really a sitting duck for this trouble.

From what I've read it seems the English fans weren't the provokers at least but that's the trouble even when they're just sitting and having a drink, English fans aren't noted for quietly sitting in the corner. With all the flags and chanting they were obvious targets for the Russian mobs. 

Big issue for me is the scenes inside the stadium, they looked horrendous and really the problem there is a lack of segregation as Russia fans shouldn't have stormed through so easily. That really did look like a scene from the 80s.

Big problems. This week you'll have England and Welsh fans sitting next to each other during the game. I'd be amazed if things passed off without incident. 

Edit: Was also going to say was watching a Marseille game near end of the season at Velodrome and their fans were having a protest against the board and the riot police at that game were tear gassing them so that shouldn't have come for a shock.

Edited by VillaChris

Hooliganism is a big problem in Eastern Europe still...Poland, Slovakia, Serbia etc, plenty of reports during seasons of trouble during games.

I'm amazed some people are shocked...just look at the group England are in, two psycho East European nations and also a local rival that doesn't like England very much.

Bit different to 2006 when England had the "ultras" of Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Sweden and Ecuador. Oh there weren't any of course. 

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

those arrested for trouble in marseille yesterday included french, german and austrians

i'll be amazed if croatia and turkey fans didnt have a pop at each other last night in paris, seems very quiet though

After what happened in Paris 6 months back I'd be amazed if even a quiet alleyway round the centre isn't crawling with some sort of riot place so doubt anything will happen much in Paris. 

Most concerning for me is that we were led to believe security was going to be super tight especially at the stadiums, to arrive very early for searches etc. Then inside 2 sets of fans who have been fighting for days separated by hardly anything and the Russian fans with flares, fire crackers, fighting gloves and balaclavas.. 

Clearly no searching of bags happening. I'll be shocked if the tournament goes off without a major incident,  the French seem clueless at keeping people safe.

On 12/06/2016 at 11:25, villanwesty88 said:

Never said they are not football fans. They are morons though. My point was that someone like myself (who has no intention of hitting other people because of the colour of their football top or where they are from etc) and others of similar ilk do not deserve to get hit, bottled, abused or whatever just because of the actions of other people. You cannot dispute that! 

Slightly late to this discussion but from an Irish perspective, where we pride ourselves on the positive impact of our support and we value that reputation very highly, if there was an Irish fan who tried to start anything, I know for a fact that he would be put in his place very very quickly BY HIS OWN FANS.  We simply would never allow it to get to any flashpoint.  You can't just say 'I'm not one of them'.  If it is only 1% or less.  If it is only a tiny tiny minority, then the majority need to have a word.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Slightly late to this discussion but from an Irish perspective, where we pride ourselves on the positive impact of our support and we value that reputation very highly, if there was an Irish fan who tried to start anything, I know for a fact that he would be put in his place very very quickly BY HIS OWN FANS.  We simply would never allow it to get to any flashpoint.  You can't just say 'I'm not one of them'.  If it is only 1% or less.  If it is only a tiny tiny minority, then the majority need to have a word.

Good luck with that.

can see it now, pissed up rowdy gang of 20+ England youths, errrm, hey guys, any chance of just toning it down a tad?

I can't see the response as being favourable"

Â