Fan Trouble at Euro 2016

Genie

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Because many of the same people that I have seen on social media asking for journalists not to tar every England fan with the same brush because of the actions of a few idiots are the same people who I have seen berate all Muslims or all immigrants because of the actions of a few.

I know yesterday the Russians were largely to blame. Certainly to blame in the staidum. But some England fans that day and mainly the day before were trashing the place and behaving in an embarrassing manner. 

Fair enough, I understand what your saying. But on the flip-side the hypocrisy is just as strong in the other direction. With England fans said to, in response to getting attacked by the Russians, 'deserve it, through the reputation we've cultivated', 'asking for it', 'karma' etc, even examples of it in this thread. All from people who have and I'm sure do, deride those who try and tar all Muslims with the same brush from the actions of a minority of idiots.

• Like 1

At the risk of being called an egg chasing snob, I spent 3 weeks in France for the rugby world cup, in Bordeaux and Paris following Ireland. There were thousands of fans from many other countries and i saw NO aggro whatsoever....and yes, there were many, many england supporters and they were impeccably behaved apart from the odd, immature or arrogant/patronising "oh well done, Paddy....you really hammered Namibia there !" comment. It was all taken in good spirit and respect was shown to the local authorities. If a bordeaux  copper told me to move on, I moved on. If the bar was closing, we moved on or went back to the hotel.....and so on.

My question here is : why didnt the england rugby fans fight or get singled out by the local gangs for trouble ? I mean, it's still England we're talking here....or is football fan mentality a central part of the whole matter ?

Just sayin'....

The sports attract different crowds.  Not all football fans are arseholes but arseholes are drawn to football, it's the biggest global stage for tribalism.  If football had never been invented the maybe we would be seeing Rugby fans kicking the shit out of each other instead, but don't be a snob about it, it adds nothing to the debate. 

• Like 1

I didnt think i was being snobbish; I just thought i'd get it in early about being accused of it. 

Indeed, not all football fans (or players) are aresholes. Is it about respect then ? Meh - I'm not gonna lose any sleep about it.

A few days ago i was saying to Mrs Imavillan ''why have we not planned a holiday around this? It would have been good to be part of the atmosphere"

After watching/reading many of the reports.....boy oh boy am i glad we didnt. Some of the scenes are unbelievable.

Its like a war zone....click here to watch and see for yourself

no way would i want to be in a situation like that !!!!

Edited by limpid
fixed embed

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Britain? I'm not sure it should be the responsibility of the British police to work abroad. Especially when they are woefully understaffed in their own countr. 

I agree it's not the responsibility of the British police, but it was reported they would be out in France to help contain and manage the British supporters. 

I'm sure England fans aren't blameless, but Russian fans caused trouble at every game in the last tournament, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were instigating it again this time around.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure England fans aren't blameless, but Russian fans caused trouble at every game in the last tournament, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were instigating it again this time around.

Russia on the brink of being kicked out, to go with their Olympic ban for state sponsored cheating. I wonder how hard they tried to stop the wronguns traveling to France? 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Russia on the brink of being kicked out, to go with their Olympic ban for state sponsored cheating. I wonder how hard they tried to stop the wronguns traveling to France? 

They probably paid for their flights.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Should take the world cup off them.

They shouldn't have been given it in the first place, but i don't think there is any chance at all of them losing the world cup. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

They shouldn't have been given it in the first place, but i don't think there is any chance at all of them losing the world cup. 

Probably not but it will be a blood bath if it goes ahead.

Â