Fan Trouble at Euro 2016

Genie

Total mayhem, really. These scenes are turning into something people will remember for a long time. 

Some of the Russian assaults were very cynical. The dudes in black definitely had a game plan, very sinister. **** those guys. 

Northern Ireland fans tangled up with locals in Nice as well, apparently. 

What's next...:unsure:

Edited by maqroll

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Strange choice of venue for these two to play. Trouble was inevitable surely

I think this wouldn't have happened in Paris, but any other city there would have had a similar problem. The Russians came prepared for this.

Who is 'we'? How can you legislate for the minority of idiots causing trouble in bygone tournaments thereby making it okay for anyone from an entire nation to be attacked at will and it to simply be a case of 'oh, they're from England, they must have been causing a bit of trouble and they deserve it'. It's absolute bollox.

Nah, you're wrong. We caused trouble in the 80s, so those looking to enjoy themselves and follow their team in 2016 obviously deserve it. It makes total sense. Because all England fans cause trouble, everywhere. Don't you beat up the locals when you go on holiday?

• Like 2

Putting it into a broader social context, I think the scenes in Marseilles reflect the tension around Europe right now, with Russia-Ukraine, terrorism, economic anxiety, Brexit, refugees...things are really **** up right now and tribal mob violence is the result. We better hope it's not war at some point in the near future.

I'm not sure singing deliberately offensive chants, or being drunk and disorderly is really anything noteworthy. That's a misdemeanour at worst.The one unforgivable thing I've seen from England fans is a handful of idiots throwing things at police.

Meanwhile there are groups of Russian thugs that have literally been preparing for this tournament in training camps, and said over the last few weeks and months that they're going to "obliterate" English fans.

There's some videos of English fans fighting and throwing stuff. In a lot of them you'll see a bunch of normal looking fans, up against some Russians all wearing dark clothing with their faces covered. The videos obviously all begin part way through the trouble, but eye witnesses mostly describe ultras jumping any English fans they find, whether they were chanting, drunk, or not. 

The French police are abysmally out of their depth, they've lost control of the city.

We'll see what happens over the next few days when fans go their separate ways. I doubt it'll be the English fans continuing to be involved in these fights.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We'll see what happens over the next few days when fans go their separate ways. I doubt it'll be the English fans continuing to be involved in these fights.

Russia are playing Slovakia in Lille on Wednesday, England v Wales in Lens on Thursday. Lille and Lens are 20 minutes apart and Lens is a small town, so guess where the French have recommended that England and Wales fans stay?? Yep......Lille!! So the fans won't be going their separate ways for a few days yet.....:mellow:

Going to be interesting in Russia in two years. All the Russian chavs who couldn't afford to make it to France will be welcoming rival fans to their home towns. 

Mind you the Russian police don't mess about and have been dealing with this stuff in the Russian league for years. . 

• Like 1

We seem to be the only country to bother banning our hooligan element from traveling to games abroad.

When I was scouring the UEFA ticket portal trying to get tickets for games we are the only nation that you have to be a registered member of our FA in order to buy England tickets, everyone else you just have to have a passport from that nation

Then you add to that like you say we confiscate every passport of people that are banned, we ban them from travelling to France, we then also send over a load of our own police to try and identify known trouble makers

We do more than anyone else to try and stop it

It's failing obviously, I think we still have fans that are of that mentality that will stand up to it rather than trying to avoid it and unfortunately when they get poked they go **** nuts and there's a lot of people out there willing to poke them, there's also thousands and thousands of English fans nowhere near this

Get us out of Marseille, away from the locals, away from the Russians, away from the shit police...but then it's **** Wales in northern France with >100k fans travelling...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, krisagg75 said:

some of the most loyal/passionate villa fans i have known have been our hooligan element.the "they're not football fans is bull crap".

through my brother having worked with some of them i know some of c-crew.to say we don't have ourselves to blame is to be unaware of our history.you can go back to the early 70's with arsenal/pool/derby and leeds fans to know where the problem stems.myself i have been to every final(euro and world),from 86-2000.in my time i've seen people of all ages sing 2 world wars and 1 world cup to germans.we do have ourselves to blame.in the 1990 world cup i was attacked at the semi-final by italian fans looking for english as that was a badge of honour for them.i'm a devout coward who has run from any trouble.i remember coming into rotterdam railway station in 2000 and seeing the fear on peoples faces hearing england fans singing.

if you go to the european hotspots this summer then who will be the worst behaved there,us.we do have a history and dr p is right to say we have brought it on ourselves.

Never said they are not football fans. They are morons though. My point was that someone like myself (who has no intention of hitting other people because of the colour of their football top or where they are from etc) and others of similar ilk do not deserve to get hit, bottled, abused or whatever just because of the actions of other people. You cannot dispute that! 

• Like 1

Hadn't seen this video of what was going on inside the stadium.

It's absolutely unbelievable that after 3 days of violence, the French authorities thought a bit of rope and a dozen stewards were going to keep the peace with Russian and English fans a few feet from each other. The police were absolutely nowhere in sight, even when fighting in the stadium had been going on for minutes. They aren't prepared to safely host a tournament.

It doesn't absolve the violent fans of any blame, not at all, but when you have a huge international tournament, you have to be able to diffuse situations like this quickly, not having a police presence in the stadium is negligent.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hadn't seen this video of what was going on inside the stadium.

It's absolutely unbelievable that after 3 days of violence, the French authorities thought a bit of rope and a dozen stewards were going to keep the peace with Russian and English fans a few feet from each other. The police were absolutely nowhere in sight, even when fighting in the stadium had been going on for minutes. They aren't prepared to safely host a tournament.

It doesn't absolve the violent fans of any blame, not at all, but when you have a huge international tournament, you have to be able to diffuse situations like this quickly, not having a police presence in the stadium is negligent.

It's a shocking oversight. I never watch Ligue1 so I don't know if they ever have problems with away fans. I remember someone posted a photo on here of PSG's away contingent which consisted of three fans.

I feel for the regular fans, maybe taking their children along to see England potentially getting caught up in the violence in the stadium. On the streets then I think it's easier to stay out of the way. The inside of the ground SHOULD be safe. Lots of questions to be answered from lots of people in the first few days of this tournament. 

Where are the British police? I've not seen any sign of them yet. 

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I feel for the regular fans, maybe taking their children along to see England potentially getting caught up in the violence in the stadium. On the streets then I think it's easier to stay out of the way. The inside of the ground SHOULD be safe. Lots of questions to be answered from lots of people in the first few days of this tournament. 

Where are the British police? I've not seen any sign of them yet. 

Britain? I'm not sure it should be the responsibility of the British police to work abroad. Especially when they are woefully understaffed in their own country 

The French Police's poor handling this makes me worry about how easy it would be for a major terrorist incident to happen.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any trouble between Russian and Welsh fans. If there is then we know its the Russians who are the instigators 

• Like 1

Â