Fan Trouble at Euro 2016

Genie

3 minutes ago, zak said:

I dont know and i dont think England Fans deserved being attacked. I know throwing chairs and bottle at police would not help diffuse a situation though.

What do you think the French Police wanted to happen, how did they intend to diffuse the situation

The French hate the English. The police were clearly turning a blind eye to the attacks whilst indiscriminately gassing the English at every given opportunity. Someone who was tending the seriously injured fan had to beg a group of police for help who were just stood watching ffs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Maybe the French simply are not used to it? I imagine there's more distance to travel for games there and as such, away followings aren't as strong. Here, you have anti*insert city/team name* songs sung by away fans who travel in the thousands and there rarely seems to be any need for riot police and tear gas. They probably see a few thousand fans singing as "aggressive" and overreact to it. Which in then will obviously piss off the fans and it escalates from there.

i dunno, i had an interesting chat with a bloke in EE this morning, he'd just got back, he bumped in to PSG fans in marseille who'd travlled down there knowing that their ultras would be out and they'd be able to join in with the england fans standing up to them

if you've got say ten thousand england fans (which might be light) marseille fans, local french kids, other french teams fans, russians, then there was a german and an austrian arrested too...if you've got all of them in a melting pot, where do you even begin if your the local police? 

like i mentioned before our police at wembley last year gave us x number of pubs, these pubs then filled they then gave you a patch of grass somewhere and told you where the local shops for beer were, they penned you in to areas they could control, they didnt let you loose all over wembley and to fair to them they were there but they werent making their presence felt and letting you know you were penned in, theres just an intelligence and organistation to it thats severely lacking in france, they seem to be encouraging fans to go to the same places, they dont seem in communication with the bars, they seem to be reacting to everything rather than in control

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

The French hate the English. The police were clearly turning a blind eye to the attacks whilst indiscriminately gassing the English at every given opportunity. Someone who was tending the seriously injured fan had to beg a group of police for help who were just stood watching ffs.

I'm sure sweeping statements like this do not provoke any xenophobic sentiments both ways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

I'm sure sweeping statements like this do not provoke any xenophobic sentiments both ways.

It's there for all to see on the videos. Half of you lot would be in for a nasty surprise if ever you travelled to Marseille to watch the Villa.

Just now, Butterfingers said:

It's there for all to see on the videos. Half of you lot would be in for a nasty surprise if ever you travelled to Marseille to watch the Villa.

I'm sure there are many people that think like this, therein lies the problem. It's a bloody shame really and I feel for the people who didn't want any part of it but somehow got involved because of other people's small-mindedness. Personally I can't stand this aspect of the sport.

2 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

You do realise we're all on the same side here.  That was a nightmarish scenario for England fans.  In a city that hates you befing chased by trained criminals who want to seriously hurt you.  I can not imagine being in that scenario and I'm glad that the Russians are being cited and that most England fans got out without serious injury. Other sadly not so lucky.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

I doubt i would get tear gassed,  if the police started marching towards me, id just leave!  (the fans would disperse, the police's aim)

I suspect there are alot of team fans that would just do that and not try stand up to the police.

Anyway our main difference is i believe the french police were doing what they thought was best to diffuse tension and you believe they had a bit of a vendetta against the english fans

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

You do realise we're all on the same side here.  That was a nightmarish scenario for England fans.  In a city that hates you befing chased by trained criminals who want to seriously hurt you.  I can not imagine being in that scenario and I'm glad that the Russians are being cited and that most England fans got out without serious injury. Other sadly not so lucky.

I'm not convinced BOF. The English are targets wherever they go. I'm not into England at all so can't speak from experience. I know many who have followed England over the years though and I am also aware of many, many incidents where club fans have suffered similar abroad. If we ever got back into Europe, I'd probably like to go-As would many on here. Would they be as quick to blame the chanting when they got a lump of wood smashed on the skull or attacked in a side alley? It could happen to anyone, anywhere, including the patronising "I am too smart to get caught up" brigade.

The FA, the Government and many other quarters have gone to great lengths to cleanse up our reputation in recent years. People who jump on the bandwagon that slates fans for the sake of slating them are not helping the situation and are inadvertently contributing to the next attack on some innocent middle aged man.

You say without serious injury, however, I'd wager that for many, it has put an end to the holiday. Friends will also not want to continue. It will have ruined it for many people, some of whom have saved and planned it for 2 years. Looking at some of those kickings, its likely that many received broken bones, they won't be staying. The man who is serious is likely never to recover. It does tend to grate when people try to insinuate that it was provoked by a few chants or because people put their arms outstretched when singing.

19 minutes ago, zak said:

I doubt i would get tear gassed,  if the police started marching towards me, id just leave!  (the fans would disperse, the police's aim)

I suspect there are alot of team fans that would just do that and not try stand up to the police.

Anyway our main difference is i believe the french police were doing what they thought was best to diffuse tension and you believe they had a bit of a vendetta against the english fans

You do realise that the police don't actually move before firing gas don't you? They fire it from a safe distance from a gun.

Even the "doubt I'd get tear gassed" of this world would actually (ahem) get tear gassed.

1 hour ago, Butterfingers said:

You do realise that the police don't actually move before firing gas don't you? They fire it from a safe distance from a gun.

Even the "doubt I'd get tear gassed" of this world would actually (ahem) get tear gassed.

My previously linked video would suggest the set up and then started getting closer (marching) prior to shooting tear Gas.

Think this guys testimony is worth listening - first hand account

Link

'Russian fans were barbaric' - video from Bristol fan at Marseille Euro 2016 horror

A football fan from Bristol who witnessed organised Russian hooligans batter England fans in Marseille has described their actions as 'barbaric' and called on Russia to be stripped of hosting the World Cup in 2018.............

Edited by Gary Thomas

28 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Think this guys testimony is worth listening - first hand account

Link

Very enlightening:

England fans being bottled-The police stand back and watch
England fans retaliate-The police charge them & gas them
A man protecting his mother beaten to the ground and his head repeatedly stamped on
A man in a wheelchair punched as they walk past him
Police at the metro station tear gas the English because they are not getting on the train fast enough

Still there are some people who are trawling the net to point out pictures and film of a few bottles hitting police shields.

Rule Brittania on all that it's laughable really.  I am sure the majority of all fans will get on fine even Russians.  Just a few pissed up people singing let's see how the police re-act. 

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

World Cup 2018 with Germany, England, USA and Ukraine qualifying is going to go smoothly. Especially with Russian politicians so against violence.

I doubt USA fans will be a target in Russia (if we qualify), we barely register in the global football consciousness.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you think this is something to do with football?

Exactly. Cold war. Sanctions. Perceived injustices. Just general USA Russia international rivalry. You're in their backyard. You'd better be damn sure they don't have a bone to pick with you because if you're mistaken then you're ****. 

Â