Players Villa Have Been Linked With This Pre-Season

JohnCresswell

Aston Villa are reported to have targeted Everton goalkeeper Richard Wright, as Stefan Postma looks set to depart to Spain.

The Dutch shot-stopper's agent confirmed he has received interest from La Liga, leaving Villa short of serious competition for Thomas Sorensen for the number one jersey next season.

RICHARD WRIGHT Postma's agent Pietr Buter said: "There is a club in Spain who are serious about signing him but there are some things to be sorted out."

Wright has endured a frustrating time at Goodison since his £3.5million move from Arsenal in 2002, with injuries and the form of Nigel Martyn restricting him to just 43 Premiership starts.

Should he move to Villa, the 27-year-old will hope to succeed in keeping Denmark international Sorensen out of the side - something that Postma has failed to achieve in the past two seasons.

Villa could face competition from Midlands rivals West Bromwich Albion in the bidding to sign Wright.

EDIT : Already linked, see I was a little late.

This Wright link is worthy of more discussion if true me thinks.

He is 27 and although his stock has dropped somewhat, he is still quite a highly regarded keeper. I know of some on here who wish to see Sorensen ousted from between the sticks. Do you think Wright could be the man to do that? Postma was an able deputy (and nothing more) but I can see Wright doing far more to give DOL something to think about. I would love to see Wright come here. He is the perfect age, has a good background and has something to prove. If it helps to improve Sorensen's performances as a consequence then Villa can only benefit from that too !!

Can't see either settling for a place as back up goalie. If Wright comes he'll want that first team spot, Sorenson wont be happy if it's given to someone else.

Hossein Kaebi :shock:

from www.goal.com

Villa Pursue Persian Prodigy

6/28/2005 2:52:00 AM

Aston Villa are in the hunt for Iran’s teenage wunderkind Hossein Kaebi.

The 19 year-old won the first of his, to date 41 caps for his country, at the tender age of 16 and his performances as right wing back for one of Asia’s best teams have seen the player hailed as the future of Iranian football.

The hot-tempered player, who can also play in the middle, was born in the city of Ahvaz near the Iraqi border and plays his football for Qatari champions Al Sadd.

David O’Leary is looking to inject flair and pace into his team but may face some competition from Spurs for the youngster’s signature

26 years of age ? He has 7 years left in him, and he has done his developing at another club. He'd be able to do a job immediately from next season. The only question would be - is he a significant improvement on what we've got already? Considering what he did for Norwich last season I would say he is probably an improvement on what we have in our attacking midfield.