Unable to access websites

kurtsimonw

Was working fine earlier, but as of about an hour ago I seem unable to access almost any website. Bizarrely, VT is the only website that is working. I've attached a few pictures of the message both Firefox and Chrome is throwing up. I'm connected to the internet, it's working fine on the other laptop and phones in the house. Skype and Steam also seem to connect fine - as well as VT. I've tried the "Try these repairs as administrator" and it says it fixes is, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't use Firefox as a browser, I just tried to access a random website on there to see if it was just a Chrome issue. So I'm confused as it can't be an internet issue, but neither is it exclusive to the only browser I use.

Any ideas? Not being able to use the net is a bit annoying!

Net1.png

Net2.png

Net3.png

Edited by kurtsimonw

Through IE/Edge you need to check your LAN connection settings and ensure that proxy settings are unticked. (I think it is: Internet Options - connections - LAN settings, where you need to go to).   

Give that a go first of all. I'd also suggest running a quick malware scan - malwarebytes free download is your best friend here. 

Might also be worth trying the above in safe mode with network first of all. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Thanks buddy, that worked. I'd be totally lost without people who know about computers

What changed your proxy settings? That would worry me a lot as all your traffic might have been going through a third party you didn't know about (which might have been taken down). Unless you did it by mistake it's time to fire up your malware detector and maybe change your passwords.

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

What changed your proxy settings? That would worry me a lot as all your traffic might have been going through a third party you didn't know about (which might have been taken down). Unless you did it by mistake it's time to fire up your malware detector and maybe change your passwords.

I've no idea why it changed. I did a scan and it came up with nothing, but I certainly didn't change it manually. I tend to avoid messing with settings as I don't really know what I'm doing.

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've no idea why it changed. I did a scan and it came up with nothing, but I certainly didn't change it manually. I tend to avoid messing with settings as I don't really know what I'm doing.

You're the only person who knows how much you value your privacy / identity. If this happened to me I'd change passwords on important sites which don't use 2FA.

• Like 1

Did you notice what they were set to? The host would make it easy to find out what changed it and how worried you should be. If you use any browser addons that bypass web filters or regional restrictions for Netflix, etc, they often change those.

• Like 1

Â