Massimiliano Marchesi

meme

Aston Villa Football Club is pleased to announce manager Roberto Di Matteo's backroom team.

Steve Clarke is the new assistant manager having managed both West Bromwich Albion and Reading and been assistant manager at Newcastle United, Chelsea, West Ham United and Liverpool.

Kevin Bond, who worked for Tottenham Hotspur, Portsmouth, Newcastle United, Southampton, Bournemouth and Queens Park Rangers, is first-team coach.

Italian Massimo Battara comes on board as goalkeeping coach following spells at Napoli, Fiorentina, Inter Milan, Manchester City and Schalke 04.

And his countryman Massimiliano Marchesi, who has worked at Inter Milan as well as spending 10 years in Saudi Arabia, has been appointed the Club's new fitness coach.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5627279,00.html

From the official site.

We've talked some real hype about our new fitness coach, who has had a celebrated coaching career. Thoughts?

Personally, this new backroom staff is bringing all of the good vibes.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought he was a player signing when I first saw that, I was getting excited

It's close enough, he will be working with Bacuna to get him to reach a value of £1bn (easily done with a day of work)

• Like 1

Having looked at his website he appears to be tremendous catch for us.

Hopefully the players will accept and take on board his methods, although I imagine pre-season will be hellish but worth the effort.

Fitness has been a major problem in the last few years. Hope he works closely with the medical staff bringing people back from injuries in such a way that they don't continually get re-injured. I'm really pleased with this addition. Welcome, Max!!

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

did he do anything football related in Saudi, or just took a long vacation?

The OS seems vague on those 10 years!

He worked with the UAE and Qatar national teams (at different times, of course) as well as at a few unpronounceable clubs with money.

His website has more info, here: http://www.maxmarchesi.com/

Edited by meme

He may prove a shrewd addition to the coaching team as our fitness has been a major problem for a number of years now. I am not going to get too excited just yet though, as for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I will wait to see what he achieves with Gabby first. ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

He may prove a shrewd addition to the coaching team as our fitness has been a major problem for a number of years now. I am not going to get too excited just yet though, as for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I will wait to see what he achieves with Gabby first. ;) 

Give him some "performance enhancing drugs" which turn out to be poison? Yeah, that'll get him my support right away :detect:

57 minutes ago, ender4 said:

did he do anything football related in Saudi, or just took a long vacation?

The OS seems vague on those 10 years!

Surely not many people go on decade-long vacations to Saudi Arabia (fine country though I'm sure it is). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilS said:

Gabby likes eating pudding! ;) 

I think if Gabby is still with us when the players report back Massimiliano will soon realise how well his personal fitness programme has gone over the last few months and will advise RDM to get rid (if he needs telling). As AndyBM has said above he is a "lost cause" and way beyond a reasonable challenge for any fitness coach because you need to want to get fit to get fit and he just cannot be bothered enough to want to do so.     

Edited by John

Di Matteo not giving the likes of Gabby and a select few yet another chance at proving themselves will be a big indicator for me.

He must be shipped out asap, regardless of physical form.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

with all these Italians coming in....I'm hoping we turn out like Fagin at the back.

Wrong Jew ?? Perhaps you meant Shylock ? (He wouldn't need to look past Gabby for his pound of flesh)

Â