Muhammad Ali, 1942-2016

maqroll

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it has to be said, I'd defy anyone out there to find me an athlete out there today willing to give up 3 of their prime years for something they believe in? You just won't find one. When Ali returned in 1970 and beat the likes of Foreman, Fraiser, Norton and Shavers in that decade he was past his best. Whilst I'd consider Sugar Ray Robinson as the greatest boxer of all time, Ali is without a shadow of a doubt the most transcendental and inspiration athlete to ever grace any single sport in the history of sports. 

No doubt. I just wish Roberto Clemente was as well known.

He changed the face of boxing. He floated like a butterfly and he stung like a bee. He was the greatest boxer I have ever seen and those fights with Frazier were sensational. He was probably the most well known face on the planet in his prime. He had wit and could put a smile on faces with that. He went the distance and won a points verdict with the disease that robbed us of his humour and him of his agility and that ultimately took him away from us. He will be very much missed.    

21 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it has to be said, I'd defy anyone out there to find me an athlete out there today willing to give up 3 of their prime years for something they believe in? You just won't find one. When Ali returned in 1970 and beat the likes of Foreman, Fraiser, Norton and Shavers in that decade he was past his best. Whilst I'd consider Sugar Ray Robinson as the greatest boxer of all time, Ali is without a shadow of a doubt the most transcendental and inspirational athlete to ever grace any single sport in the history of sports. 

I agree he had gained weight by the time he returned in 1970 and could only do the shuffle fleetingly.I just wish he had never carried on so long and had that last fight with Larry Holmes where he took a real beating. I'm not sure if his Parkinson's can be connected to the the amount of punches he took to the head but it seems likely. I also feel very sad when I saw Michael J Fox in his tribute to Ali and the way he is now. 

Edited by PaulC

Â