Muhammad Ali, 1942-2016

maqroll

I'm not remotely a boxing fan (I'd probably go so far as to say I hate it), but this guy was a 20th Century icon - evokes the 1960s for me as much as The Beatles. 

My Dad (who WAS a fight fan) couldn't stand him though - he had a real antipathy to people he thought were 'gobshites' (Brian Clough was another one). 

• Like 1

He's the only man that got me interested in watching boxing. Regarded by many as the greatest and thats even with possibly missing his best years through avoiding the draft. He wasn't just a boxer though, he  did a lot for civil rights in america. He was a great talker. The Parkinson interviews are famous. 

I remember nobody gave him a chance against Foreman, the man that took Frazier apart. RIP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

http://m.videobash.com/video/show/id/654905

I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Muhammad Ali

Could easily be a 1965/66 Bob Dylan lyric. 

This actually IS one:

I was shadow-boxing earlier in the day
I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay
I said "Fee, fie, fo, fum, Cassius Clay here I come
26, 27, 28, 29, I'm gonna make your face look just like mine
Five, four, three, two, one, Cassius Clay you'd better run 
99, 100 101, 102, your ma won't even recognize you
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, gonna knock him clean right out of his spleen.

Edited by mjmooney

This year really is causing some hurt.

An utterly entertaining, absorbing, enthralling, fascinating man inside and out of the ring. A magnificent fighter and Vegas showman all rolled into one irresistable package.

Thanks for enriching our world and making it brighter and better for your presence.

Â