Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

I wouldn't have even minded this appointment if we were still a Premier League club and I highly doubt Di Matteo would have joined without the takeover. Tempting Clarke to return to a number two role adds to a sense of ambition behind this project. 

A truly huge challenge and literally no time to spare. I do hope we can begin making some moves in the market before Xia's takeover is ratified - if we are still a couple of weeks away from that as suggested.

• Like 1

This was his only WBA result against us and I remember west Brom were very unlucky we were poor. if you go on page he conducts himself very well post match.

Aston Villa   2 - 1   West Brom

Downing and Young (pictured) both provided much-needed cutting edge for Villa

By Chris Whyatt

Aston Villa quashed questions over manager Gerard Houllier's early reign by holding on for a hard-fought win over impressive local rivals West Brom.

Somen Tchoyi nearly gave the visitors a deserved lead but when his shot hit the bar Villa soon led as Stewart Downing hooked in Marc Albrighton's fine cross.

Returning striker Emile Heskey nodded a simple second with 11 minutes left from another tasty Albrighton delivery.

Paul Scharner's header pulled one back, but West Brom's late surge fell short.

Holding off a Baggies side boasting technique and invention, spirited Villa put Monday's woeful 3-0 defeat at Liverpool behind them to notch only their second win in the past 11 Premier League matches.

A much-changed team from the XI who started at Anfield fought hard to show that Houllier, who came in for strong criticism after the loss at his beloved former club, can revive a side which is still recovering from the shock departure of influential former boss Martin O'Neill.

Acting captain Richard Dunne was dropped, but Ashley Young was always dangerous on his return from suspension while youngsters Albrighton and Barry Bannan showed rich glimpses of promise.

But West Brom have talent in their ranks too, as the first close call of this West Midlands derby match showed.

Jump media player

Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Houllier 'relieved' to win

Jerome Thomas, a real threat on the left wing for the visitors most of the afternoon, hit a clever curling shot from long range in the sixth minute.

Striking the ball early, he nearly surprised Villa goalkeeper Brad Freidel but the ball drifted just wide.

With Heskey full of muscular running and Young dropping deep to collect the ball, Villa did possess more cutting edge going forward.

But the hosts still looked a little inexperienced in midfield, as a raft of misplaced passes allowed West Brom to slowly take control.

Able to play after shaking off a groin injury, Baggies midfielder Chris Brunt went close with a decent low shot after turning two home defenders in the box.

Heskey did have an unchallenged headed chance from Downing's decent free-kick but his connection was poor, with the ball slowly trickling towards the corner flag.

Having built up a head of steam with intelligent use of possession, the visitors were inches away from making a breakthrough after 20 minutes.

Patiently twisting defenders inside and out before unleashing a powerful shot, Cameroon midfielder Tchoyi nearly executed a repeat of his brilliant curler against Newcastle last week.

But, with Freidel well beaten, the ball came back off the bar.

Marc-Antoine Fortune smashed a shot just wide soon after but seconds later Villa had scored thanks to Albrighton's magic on the right wing, where his instinctive trickery - nut-megging Marek Cech - allowed the young Englishman to get to the bye-line.

His superb whipped cross was inches away from Young's forehead at the near post, but Downing sprinted to the back post to hook in the ball in with the studs on his trusted left boot from a tight angle.

606: DEBATE

Just wanted to say how good it feels to be a Baggies fan. Playing in the Premier League and - going into today's game - feeling confident in our chances going to Villa Park... Progress indeed! 

OneLoveOneAlbion

Despite that apparent lack of justice, West Brom continued to probe with Brunt's admirable left foot at the heart of their best work.

Much of Villa's threat before the break came from right-back debutant Eric Lichaj, who would appear to possess a dangerous long throw to rival that of Stoke's Rory Delap.

But the hosts looked more confident after the break, and nearly added a second when Downing's angled cross floated across the box menacingly.

Albrighton, who trained with West Brom as a child, met the ball bravely, but his diving header flew just wide of the post.

Roberto Di Matteo's side, though, nearly equalised in the 55th minute as Gonzalo Jara fired a scuffed shot across the box which James Morrison, connecting cleanly with his shot, might have converted had he favoured placement over power.

With West Brom increasingly pushing forward, Young exposed them by foraging down the right wing to slide an enticing ball across the six-yard box - but nobody was there to convert what would have been a simple finish.

Young was a constant thorn in West Brom's side, who continually hacked away at his blur-of-motion legs like an explorer trekking in dense jungle.

We deserved more - Di Matteo

He won the corner that led to Heskey's fifth goal of the season, the ball falling loose for Albrighton to whip yet another lively ball across the box.

James Collins stretched hard to make a connection but, failing, the ball landed on unmarked Heskey's forehead and was diverted into the net from six yards out.

Yet Scharner put West Brom right back in contention for at least a point, rising high to power Brunt's pacy corner into the net via a deflection on the line.

Brunt then had a last-gasp chance to nick an equaliser but, shooting low after coolly finding space for himself in the box, Collins busted a gut to make a full-blooded block to ensure relieved Villa survived.

Di Matteo's Claret and Blue Army

Edited by Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

This. Name me one other Champions League winning manager who would even apply for the Villa job.

I know he won it as a a caretaker but that's beside the point. It still had to be won!

Ancelotti ;)

• Like 1

This. Name me one other Champions League winning manager who would even apply for the Villa job.

I know he won it as a a caretaker but that's beside the point. It still had to be won!

Exactly. Look what our caretaker manager achieved!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

it is funny how people keep forgetting how shit we have been, do people think the worlds greatest managers are knocking on our door for a job? We are lucky to get RDM in our current state, lets get behind him.

welcome RDM

I'm sure Mourinho and Pep were desperate to manage this 'wonderful' club, but in the end had to settle for Manure and Man 'Homooooosexual Club' City respectively since they weren't deemed good enough for the job.

Albeit I wanted moyes I'm ok with RDM but the fact he has bought in Clarke as his number 2 is a great bit of news.  Now the work begins so if I was him I'd start by getting rid of Guzan lescott Richards Sanchez bacuna Kodak and of course flabby.  I would personally make Cafu our team captain aswell 

New keeper

cafu.                       Okore.                           Clark.                Amavi 

New dcm.                   Gueye

adama.                                        Veretout.                          Grealish

New striker 

subs

bunn

baker

new LB

new RB

Gardner

Green

Robinson

Gestede

Hepburn-murphy

Sinclair

Reserves

the best of the under 21's

its imperative we keep hold of our better players easier said than done but with the right marque signings we could get them to stay 

either way best of luck Bobby n Steve ..........vtid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dpt666 said:

Albeit I wanted moyes I'm ok with RDM but the fact he has bought in Clarke as his number 2 is a great bit of news.  Now the work begins so if I was him I'd start by getting rid of Guzan lescott Richards Sanchez bacuna Kodak and of course flabby.  I would personally make Cafu our team captain aswell 

New keeper

cafu.                       Okore.                           Clark.                Amavi 

New dcm.                   Gueye

adama.                                        Veretout.                          Grealish

New striker 

subs

bunn

baker

new LB

new RB

Gardner

Green

Robinson

Gestede

Hepburn-murphy

Sinclair

Reserves

the best of the under 21's

its imperative we keep hold of our better players easier said than done but with the right marque signings we could get them to stay 

either way best of luck Bobby n Steve ..........vtid

No Ayew?

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

conceded a goal against Emile Heskey, getting worried now ;)

In fairness, that was in the brief period where Heskey was actually good enough to unironically be one of the first names on the team sheet. ;)

Yes Heskey was briefly playing well around that time, scored good headers at Wolves and Chelsea in that run.

RDM fizzled out at WBA but they were still I think 14th when they sacked him....5 years on remind me where Pulis finished them again.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i think RDM lost 13 out of 18 when he was sacked which is a bit alarming. But hopefully with clarke there, there should not be a repeat of that

well Clarke won 1 of his last 10 at West Brom so maybe he might not be much help ;)

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i think RDM lost 13 out of 18 when he was sacked which is a bit alarming. But hopefully with clarke there, there should not be a repeat of that

That doesn't sound right, I think he has something like a 44 or 45 percent win record in his career overall no? (Could be wrong)

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That doesn't sound right, I think he has something like a 44 or 45 percent win record in his career overall no? (Could be wrong)

Looks like its true mate

West Brom part company with manager Roberto Di Matteo

Di Matteo joined West Brom in June 2009

West Brom manager Roberto Di Matteo has been relieved of his duties and put on gardening leave with immediate effect.

The Baggies lost 3-0 at Manchester City on Saturday and the club said a run of 13 defeats in 18 games was the reason for the decision.

In a statement via the League Managers Association, Di Matteo said: "I was extremely surprised and disappointed to be relieved of my duties."

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace said the move was "a tough decision".

He added: "But we, as a board, believe it is the right one to give the club the best possible chance of remaining in the Premier League.

"Our poor sequence of results stretches back more than three months and there has been little sign of it coming to an end.

"If this run continues much longer, achieving our goal of retaining our Premier League status will become increasingly difficult. That is why we felt compelled to act now.

"This club's track record proves we do not take such decisions lightly, with Roberto being only our fourth manager or head coach in almost 11 years.

"We now begin the search to find a new head coach who will fit into our existing set-up and work under our sporting and technical director, Dan Ashworth, with a view to taking the club forward."

Former Chelsea midfielder Di Matteo took over at The Hawthorns in June 2009 and led the Midlands club to promotion last season.

Jump media player

Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Di Matteo reaction after 3-0 defeat by Man City

The side lost 6-0 to Chelsea in their opening game of the campaign but recovered to lose only twice in their first nine games, which included a 3-2 win at Arsenal and a fightback to draw 2-2 at Manchester United.

They even briefly moved into a top-four spot after beating Fulham in October but their results have dipped badly in recent months and they have slipped to 17th place, above the relegation on goal difference alone.

In their next four fixtures they are at home to West Ham and Wolves before trips to Stoke and Birmingham.

Di Matteo added: "Winning promotion last season was without doubt one of the highlights of my career and certainly my managerial career.

"Playing in this league is tough and we have had to compete against some fantastic sides, but we have shown that we can compete with the best.

"Apart from the first week of the season, the club has not been in the bottom three and has an important and crucial run of home fixtures coming up. I am disappointed that I don't now have the chance to lead the team through this crucial period and keep them in the league."

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan said it was a shame that Di Matteo was not being given the opportunity to see out the season at the Hawthorns.

"Roberto represents yet another victim of the 'hire and fire' mentality that pervades in our game," he said.

"The club has big games ahead, against Wolves and West Ham, and you have to question the decision to sack the manager. It is in exactly situations like these that we all want to see clubs back the individuals they have employed rather than see the sack as a quick fix.

"In West Brom's case that means showing support and loyalty to the manager that brought the club automatic promotion back to the Premier League last season, at the first time of asking, and was the league's manager of the month only four months ago.

"Anyone who knows Roberto well will know he is an intelligent, committed and talented football man who has proved himself as both a player and a manager. Without a doubt he has the ability to turn around recent results and maintain West Brom's position outside of the bottom three."

Di Matteo's assistant Eddie Newton and head of sports science Ade Mafe have also left the club and first-team coach Michael Appleton has been placed in temporary charge.

"On behalf of the board, I would like to thank Roberto for his efforts over the past 19 months, particularly for his contribution towards last season's promotion success and our very promising start to the current campaign," said Peace.

"We wish him and his family well for the future.

"Roberto embraced the structure in which we wanted him to work and he has been a good colleague.

"However, we are in a results-driven industry and felt we had no choice but to act now."

Clicky

Well our last proper manager Remi Garde only won 3 in 23 so both are an upgrade on him. While Eric Black won 0 in 7 so is one of the few managers in history with a 0.00% win percentage.. RDM and Clarke are colossal upgrades compared those two lol.

• Like 1

Â