Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Feel free to respond then, you know what I'm referencing. We don't need to do this back and forth he said she said stuff, we've known each other too long!

I havent got a clue to be honest Dave as I've not seen anyone say it.  Never mind

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

I havent got a clue to be honest Dave as I've not seen anyone say it.  Never mind

I've seen posts talking about it possibly being something we'll want in the future, and then being stuck with him like we were with Randy. It's madness, the first season hasn't started yet, we have no idea whether he'll be good for us or not. But if he's true to his word, we should look forward to some good times.

the thing with the players left behind is if in 1st home game against Rotherham we go 1 down and players like Bacuna, Richards and Lescott are still in the side I can see a very toxic atmosphere around Villa Park just like end of last season

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You said "is it too early to say Xia out", no? Did I misinterpret that?

You actually misread it then dave . It seems a lot of people on here are only reading part posts these days 

EDIT.  The exact post I made "Too soon to say Xia out? Potentially and my fear is that when / if that time comes it will be far far harder to shift this one than the last two,  not saying we should be at that stage now. 

Just that I am not overly encouraged by the first few months"

Edited by Richard

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In a couple of cases that's fine, yes. Maybe. It's the managers call ultimately, if he thinks he can get Gabby for example fit and playing again then I would begrudgingly trust his judgement. Though he clearly wants to move players on and if we have to swallow a bit of cash in order to do that then yes, I'm in full agreement. 

Paying £30m to do so and calling for Xia out at this stage though is utterly mental and I want no part of it! ;) 

Dave I don’t know where the 30 mill figure came from but it is never going to cost that is it. I think as free agents any of our players would find new clubs. Clearly no player is just going to have his contract terminated without being compensated but I am sure agreements could be made to pay up a percentage of the contract. We all know the players who need to move on. Of those I think a couple can be sold for money so we are almost certainly only talking about 3 or 4 players needing to be cajoled out the door. The figure I would put on helping that along would be no more than 10 mill.

I agree with you we have to go along with whatever the manager decides though and if he thinks he can get something from any player then we have no choice other than to see how it plays out. I think it would be a huge gamble though with certain players as if they remain true to form and have a poor start the atmosphere will soon turn poisonous and that fresh start won’t materialise. I will begrudgingly give every player a chance and show some patience but you know as well as I do many fans won’t.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I can see a very toxic atmosphere around Villa Park just like end of last season

Good Lord, I hope not! My 7 year old Grandson is going to Villa Park for the first time, v Rotherham. I'd hate for him to experience the atmospheres that we had last season :(

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

You actually misread it then dave . It seems a lot of people on here are only reading part posts these days 

EDIT.  The exact post I made "Too soon to say Xia out? Potentially and my fear is that when / if that time comes it will be far far harder to shift this one than the last two,  not saying we should be at that stage now. 

Lol I've actually really enjoyed the last few months. 

Very encouraged by it and optimistic for the season ahead.

i do even think some of the dross players might actually be the players they were meant to be last season, the black cloud of having an owner with no ambition for the club has gone, the future of villa is exciting and these players will want to up their game to be a part of that. Granted Bacuna probably can't up his game, but the rest probably will. 

No need to panic. 

Edited by Tommo_b

Why sack 5 or whatever number players for their poor attitudes last season when all it would take is 1 quality manager  to reform them? You can cut out the cancers but they will grow back in new places if you don't get to the roots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Why sack 5 or whatever number players for their poor attitudes last season when all it would take is 1 quality manager  to reform them? You can cut out the cancers but they will grow back in new places if you don't get to the roots.

In that analogy, wouldn't "getting to the roots" being sacking them all?

I can't believe this discussion is going on this long :D

Not much new.  Hope "And maybe some more attacking players, depending on how the next few weeks go and which players are going to leave"  actually means ""We can get some more attacking players if we can find someone to take Gabby"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36835751?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Roberto Di Matteo: Aston Villa boss wants another striker but must cut squad size

Aston Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo says he wants to sign another striker ahead of the Championship season but must trim his squad first. Villa have signed goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, midfielder Aaron Tshibola and defender Tommy Elphick since being relegated from the Premier League. "We're certainly looking for a striker," Di Matteo told BBC WM 95.6. "And maybe some more attacking players, depending on how the next few weeks go and which players are going to leave." Di Matteo has a first-team squad of 30 with only Rudy Gestede, Jordan Ayew, Gabby Agbonlahor and the injury-hit Libor Kozak providing senior striking options. Villa have been linked with Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford and Bristol City's Ivory Coast international Jonathan Kodjia as they attempt to make an immediate return to the top flight. "You could probably name 15 players that have been linked with us but I'm very pleased with the players we've brought in - I think we've done some good business there," Di Matteo said. "But my attention will now focus on outgoings. I would like to trim the squad - it's too big for my liking, so there will be some movement now."

Edited by Gary Thomas

Misleading headline.  Not that I'm surprised.  He would like to trim the squad because it's too big for his liking.  That's not the same as 'he must cut squad size' which implies involuntary sell to buy.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the thing with the players left behind is if in 1st home game against Rotherham we go 1 down and players like Bacuna, Richards and Lescott are still in the side I can see a very toxic atmosphere around Villa Park just like end of last season

Toxic before  a balls even kicked? That wont help anyone

Just now, bobzy said:

In that analogy, wouldn't "getting to the roots" being sacking them all?

I can't believe this discussion is going on this long :D

The roots is appointing manager after manager with no real ability to get the best out of what we have on field or off field.

• Like 1

We have 4 keepers so at least one needs to be sent out on loan/sold.

I'm happy with our defence options. Amavi hopefully won't be wrecked from injuries. Id he isn't he's one of the best LBs in this division.

I'd probably start season with Okore + Elphick but will probably be Clark if he's still here. Baker as back up.

Right back...well we have numbers there. Wouldn't be against Hutton starting the season there but that might need maybe a late loan on August 31st, someone from prem maybe.

I'm a little concerned about midfield tbh. Aside from Adama, we don't have much width in our team at all. Think we could do with another CM tbh aswell as we'll lose a few from that area in next few weeks I think.

Upfront yes we need a new striker as that's often the marquee signing of transfer windows for most clubs as it's certainly the one area of the pitch that excites fans the most. If we can get a proven championship striker in alongside Ayew that will excite a lot more on here I think.

Would think 3-4 new signings still to come...and double that out.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Toxic before  a balls even kicked? That wont help anyone

No...people will judge them as the games going on. Losing to Rotherham would suggest the players can't even pull their weight at championship level and if likes of Richards, Bacuna and Gabby are on the pitch they will get it the most.

But my attention will now focus on outgoings. I would like to trim the squad - it's too big for my liking, so there will be some movement now."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36835751

I took this as interesting quote if he said it as it's been printed.

I know a lot are worried we won't get rid of anyone and we'll be stuck with this same squad for years and years but I take from that RDM did want to assess everyone on the training camp and a couple of warm up games and he will now let go of those he can't count on for the year ahead so seems there is interest.

Of course I have no idea if that's the players most on here want rid of or others...

1 hour ago, Richard said:

This seems madness to me. Why has it even crossed your mind about it being difficult to get rid of the owner? We haven't played a competitive game yet.

• Like 4

Â