Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

I understood the 352 formation at the start and a few folks on here suggested it after the seriousness of De Laet's injury was announced. I think the players will need time to adjust to it so that will need time to settle. The switch to 442 was clearly because he started to chase the game but that meant we had to leave more space at the back and the pressure piled on afterwards. 

Got to admit that it was far from pretty today and we almost fell for a sucker punch as Ipswich got braver towards the end and you could almost tell they knew we would get the jitters. The only surprise was that we didn't concede but blimey did they try their best to score at the end. 

Just need to bear in mind we started with 6 players that were part of the club when it got relegated. I'm sure that must hold some significance. 

I am not normally one for rash calls of judgment but I really think we have to consider his future now

He has spent a huge fortune for this league.  

Instead of finding solutions to our various issues we are actually getting worse each game.  The players need to gel is the mantra,  but again we are deteriorating,  we should be improving. 

Bang average teams have us on the rack and despite the enormous spend on players we have no way out,  just hanging on like a punch drunk boxer. 

Today he is just sat there looking like a beaten man reminiscent of Garde,  didn't take long to knock the stuffing out of him. 

We have spent the money and bought players the envy of every team on the league bar possibly Newcastle. 

It's just not good enough,  not good enough at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

We have spent the money and bought players the envy of every team on the league bar possibly Newcastle. 

And we were against a team whose record transfer is £4.8m, set over ten years ago :lol:

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I don't think he ever had the plot to lose :lol:

The worrying thing is, the best memories I have of Villa in the last 5 years are when Sherwood was in charge when he replaced Lambert.

• Like 4

Just now, sidcow said:

Today he is just sat there looking like a beaten man reminiscent of Garde

This definitely for me, especially at the end when we again capitulated, we've seen it happen 4 times already this season. It's on the brink of happening again...and he's just sat there watching...how is he not going absolutely **** nuts? The reality as to why it's happening is a mixture of confidence and mentality leading to is sitting too deep and inviting pressure, how is he not screaming push out at the players? 

there was a suggestion when he signed that he didn't do much match day managing and let the leaders on the pitch do it for him, in theory I haven't got a problem with that but if you can see that your leaders aren't doing it or aren't working then he should be stepping up 

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

How can a club just have no self-belief for so long, with so many different players and managers?  It just defies belief.  I really don't know what the answer is, whether it's another manager or what.  

I've said it before - you could write a PhD thesis on this. I still think so much of it is psychological. The club has got a reputation over the years as being weak, spineless, pathetic and just generally shit. That filters through to all sections of the club eventually and even when you completely overhaul everything that mentality is still there.

I'm not defending RDM by the way and I wouldn't be that fussed if he was sacked now but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we went out and got a proven good manager and things were still shit.

• Like 1

I want RDM to succeed and I don't want Villa to become *that club* who sacks managers 3 times a season but what's the alternative? We're getting worse! 

I'd be livid if I was Xia. 

I just want the season to finish..

• The players do not compliment each other and share a lack of understanding
  • Injuries have hurt us this season
  • Our manager cannot motivate these players hence why he brought 'leaders' to the club
  • Our players don't look fit
  • We have no style in our play, whether its long ball, counter attacking or possession based we have nothing.
  • The squad unbalanced
  • Our set pieces are still crap
  • The Steve Clarke and Kevin Bond seem to be limited in what they can do
  • The players lack confidence
  • RDM doesn't know his strongest team
  • What manager would want to work under a TD if we sack RDM?
  • We have Newcastle next who got thumped by Wolves..

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

The worrying thing is, the best memories I have of Villa in the last 5 years are when Sherwood was in charge when he replaced Lambert.

Mine too, the FA cup semi final being a particular highlight

Â