Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In truth I'm personally not so enamoured to RDM that I've any emotional attachment and frankly if our aim was mid table, as it would be in the PL, nobody would be concerned. 

Basically, I don't think our fan base can be derided for being ambitious. 

I have no feeling toward RDM, and wanted Pearson. I could see the sense in Moyes too, dull though he is.  ANd I would've taken any of the others with track records, like McCarthy etc.

But we didn't. And we are 7 games in. 7 games.

It is just madness.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

You must have missed your sarcastic comment about hiring them for a game at a time then. That really added to the debate. 

Actually it was the exact logical extension to what you said.

And it was a comment about your comments.

Whereas you simply insulted me.  Whichever way you look at it, it was a very very patronising thing to say, and we could all say that every time anyone says anything.

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As for the rest, ?

Sherwood 5 years ?  No. More than 7 games ?  Er.........oh, now let me make sure I think really really hard, must think,,,, hmmm..think think..................................er , Yes.

Did I think hard enough then ?

You will get your way, don't worry. 

And then you can do it aaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  again soon.

Well I've never said RDM should be sacked. So he will get more then 7 games. I just disagree with your idea of just giving someone time. I also disagree with your patronising question about thinking NOT (yes you used capitals) giving them time was best. Quite clearly I didn't say this. 

Never mind 

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think one of the most foolish things we could do would be to just give a manager time. Doing that with lambert played a huge part in us becoming such a terrible premier league side and played a huge part in the lower mentality this club is covered in. 

Time does not equal success. A manager has to prove that giving them time will be worth it or at least worth the gamble. Up to RDM to start showing this. 

I will let your post speak for itself.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well yes. Like I said where would be if we gave Sherwood endless time? 

Just giving someone time for the sake of giving them time is a stupid idea. 

Nobody said that.

Nobody said that.

There is a button I will now use. Bye bye.

The way the forward line has been playing even before recent signings was the most positive I have seen in a long time, but if all of us can see that the midfield is poor and being over run and RDM continues to ignore it, then we have a problem.

Even Tish and Jedinak the first choice pairing we'll prob never see play many games... are not going to necessarily cure the in-balance all the while we are trying to shoe horn in 4 forwards every game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Wonder if Champions-elect Newcastle debated getting rid of Benitez when he was in the process of relegating them at the end of last season?

To be fair, I'm not sure you can blame him for their relegation. Also his past certainly gives you confidence things will turn out right under him.

RDM has shown we can play good stuff, he's shown that we can dominate teams. He's just not showing we can get the results. We should be currently in the top 5 when you look at our performances but we aren't. I really hope it clicks soon because RDM has the potential to do something good here. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, that's true.

I think there's quite a few posters (me included) who just felt that because of the way we went down, because of 5 years of utter tripe, turning results round, even with half a new team, was/is going to take time.

The club does not have a winning mentality in the players or the supporters. It's built up over a long time and for a new manager and coaches to come in and immediately solve that is not (IMO) a realistic expectation. Most of the performances have been decent, but errors from inexperienced players, from players that are playing because there was no one else to play in that position and from wasters we'd rather weren't here have cost us.

You could say we've been unlucky - the amount of times we've hit the woodwork, or fluke rebounds... maybe that will turn, we'll geta scabby win and that will be the trigger to go on a run.

I think the last thing we need is to change manager again. We need, and the players need stability. The club has to be rebuilt. Knocking a bit of it down again would be counter productive so early in the season. While we haven't won enough, we've lost 2 league games. We're not on a losing run, we've just dropped points which we shouldn't.

That said, it's disappointing and we need to get smarter tactically.

TBH I was one of them who felt it was going to be a long process. But the way we've played and the quality we've signed (for the level we are at) has made me change my mind. We clearly have the players to get promotion this year. I agree, a change in manager is not something we need but at the same time, if we don't go up this year, the pressure will be even bigger next year and I think we're in serious trouble if we're a championship club in 2 years time. 

He's shown he can bring in the right players for the job, he has shown some amazing attacking football. The performances on the whole have been the most enjoyable and impressive I've seen for years. But we have to get the results. There's currently something not right, and if the manager can't figure it out then for me the time given to him has to be cut shorter. 

7 games

needs time

are you crazy

.....................etc

It really doesnt matter how we all back our own theories.

However,

the facts are these

New owner seemingly very ambitious with funds

Nearly all of the cancer gone - but only Bacuna & Westwood have survived the cull

A manager who has overseen his team continually conceed goals in turn dropping points

The real question of do you stick or twist can only be answered from belief and/or if an alternative is an option.

1, 7. 10 or 17 games is the irrelevance here.

The real questions is:

Do you believe RDM will start winning us games or will we continue to drop points not catching up/getting further away from 1st 2nd & 6th?

I dont believe he'll start winning games as from now ie Ipswich Newcastle and Barnsley. I think its risking too much of a follow on.

So imho he should go before he causes damage that he cant repair anyway and leaves a harder job for the next manager.

That means 

Who takes over?

Clarke?

Clarke till we find someone?

The someone being?

I think if Dr X tries hard enough, he could compensate enough for Rowlett.

As much as I hate Bruce & Pulis, I think they could get us up.

Phelan wants to manage, get in quick before Hulls new owners do.

In other words, where there's a will - there's a way. You only have to want it enough.

While he's manager, he gets my 100% support even though I dont believe in him, because I'm a Villa fan, and I want us winning and back in PL so that the good doctor can do his (financial) stuff.

But, So far, it isnt happening. Something has to be done. That "something" for me is someone new.

Rowett, Bruce or whoever.

IMHO RDM isnt gonna get us up.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair, I'm not sure you can blame him for their relegation. Also his past certainly gives you confidence things will turn out right under him.

RDM has shown we can play good stuff, he's shown that we can dominate teams. He's just not showing we can get the results. We should be currently in the top 5 when you look at our performances but we aren't. I really hope it clicks soon because RDM has the potential to do something good here. 

See I fully agree with this too, it's a shame that others can't see past their anger and work towards having a rounded debate because they're missing out, IMO. 

The performances have in the main been decent. Certainly I've been enjoying my football again. I think that if a couple of results had gone the way they usually would, perhaps Huddersfield and Forest, then we wouldn't be having this debate. However, ultimately they went the way they went through tactical nativity, a lack of communication and fitness. Training field stuff for which the manager is to be held fully accountable. Then there was Bristol and Brentford, which trouble me greatly. 

It is too early to be seriously discussing replacing him but there are warning signs and I think as supporters we have the right to discuss those and to take them seriously.

Now that the dust has settled I too still think RDM will turn it around and the results will come. However, there's nothing wrong with accepting that it might not happen and that we don't have the luxury of giving him a full season to find his feet.

This is not like with Paul Lambert where survival is acceptable, the impact another year in the championship might have on this club given the money spent this summer should not be underestimated. If we need to roll the dice again then so be it. 

Not today of course, but when appropriate. Soon if necessary. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, that's true.

I think there's quite a few posters (me included) who just felt that because of the way we went down, because of 5 years of utter tripe, turning results round, even with half a new team, was/is going to take time.

The club does not have a winning mentality in the players or the supporters. It's built up over a long time and for a new manager and coaches to come in and immediately solve that is not (IMO) a realistic expectation. Most of the performances have been decent, but errors from inexperienced players, from players that are playing because there was no one else to play in that position and from wasters we'd rather weren't here have cost us.

Not sure where that puts me as I'm in the camp who isn't expecting immediate turn around or promotion this year but I still believe that RDM is not right manager for us.

just on the last sentence which players were playing because we had no one else this season or were wasters we rather weren't here ?

6 hours ago, Richard said:

just on the last sentence which players were playing because we had no one else this season or were wasters we rather weren't here ?

I am thinking of Micah Richards at Luton as a waster, for example, and of the midfield situation where injuries to players or where earlier on we'd not finished with signings meant that what would now be first choice midfield wasn't available, so others had to play. Errors from Gardner, Richards, Gollini etc. Have IMO cost us results, as well as collective failings, and to be fair good play by opponents. A lot of our VT board postings quite obviously concentrate on the Villa aspects, but there are always two teams involved in a game.

On 9/15/2016 at 13:23, Daniel said:

He said "he felt like it was taken away from him" when not offered a contract. Said Brad Guzan went mental when Stan told him he wasn't getting a contract. Stan also said he felt that the manager was scared that he would have more influence and that was the reason why he wasn't given a contract. Basically he was saying that he would have been given a contract out of sentimental value alone. Sure having someone like him around would have been nice, but it was obvious in pre-season that he had lost some ability to play at a high level and we really can't afford to carry players like that anymore.

That in my humble opinion, is a bit rich, for what I see on a game to game basis.....even listening to a game on the radio....I hear commentators go for unhealthy lengths on time without mentioning the names of some midfielders.

If we had players in the middle that were so much better than what we have, Stan maybe less vexed with the decision.

as for the decision to grant a contract appearing to be sentimental .....The manager only has to explain/communicate in a similar direct fashion the owner does....It works.

keeping stum, don't.

Edited by TRO

Â