England v Portugal

andykeenan

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England were never convincing defensively during euro 2004, imploded v France near the end and also conceded 2 v Portugal and Croatia. 6 goals in 4 games...

It's true though Rooney was on fire  during that tournament and genuinely scared teams so maybe he'd have got them to the final. Not convinced they'd have beaten Holland in the semis though.

Holland were pretty crap that year, shouldnt have even made semi finals. if I remember they were playing Van Der Meyde most games

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Holland were pretty crap that year, shouldnt have even made semi finals. if I remember they were playing Van Der Meyde most games

You're right, they were poor, they scraped through their group and scraped past Sweden in the quarters before losing in the semi's. 

They had a team full of over the hill players such as Frank De Boer, Overmars, Stam, Davids and Cocu, plus RVN didn't have a good tournament (mainly because as you point players like Van Der Meyde where the creative players).

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You're right, they were poor, they scraped through their group and scraped past Sweden in the quarters before losing in the semi's. 

They had a team full of over the hill players such as Frank De Boer, Overmars, Stam, Davids and Cocu, plus RVN didn't have a good tournament (mainly because as you point players like Van Der Meyde where the creative players).

though in fairness they did play in that tournament probably the greatest game I have ever seen vs Czech which Dutch dominated until they took off Robben

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

though in fairness they did play in that tournament probably the greatest game I have ever seen vs Czech which Dutch dominated until they took off Robben

That/s true. That game was ubelievably good

Â