Villa Pre Season 2016/17

i know people were saying that we might have a few games in China or against "Chinese teams" in the pre-season, but i remember the Dr saying how he wanted to purchase a house over here, so perhaps having everybody in the UK, including him, for pre-season is a good idea ? 

We don't really need to be pitted against glamorous European sides, the type of games we have for pre-season is decent preparation for the season ahead of us, just seems like a sensible choice of games to play really. I don't think we need to be playing teams like Ajax for preparation for the Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that we could not find some better opposition?  Telford, Worcester, Bristol Rovers and Cambridge - I know they are warm ups but it hardly smacks of global ambition does it.

They are all very last minute and I guess the only teams now available.  For me pre season is about getting decent preparation for the new year,  especially if you have a bunch of players new to each other.  These fixtures do not strike me as getting good preparation and to be honest I expect there to be some behind closed doors games arranged as well.

I'd say some of these games have been in the pipeline for some time and others have been added late on. Walsall could've been in our league so we wouldn't want them in a friendly. Nantes probably had a friendly arrangement agreed when we signed Veretout. The Sun article said Hollis had various options for RDM to look at so I think it's nailed on he'll be joining this week. I'm glad we aren't doing too much traveling as we need as much time training as possible. Middlesbrough as a last game should be a decent bench mark for the coming season but ultimately it's all about fitness in preseason. 

• Like 2

Isn't it a bit strange that we are playing 2 matches on 16th July? Only just clicked when I was reading the Worcester article and both refer to first team matches as well? Maybe to try and get the fitness up to the levels of the Championship?

55 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Oh no theres no preseason we're completely behind schedule and doomed.

Preseason announced - Oh no this is a terrible preseason wheres the glamour tie?

Good grief.

Yeah i mean its like the two and not mutually exclusive or something

Nantes \o/ Hooray, although apparently not at the actual Nantes stadium which is a shame as it's a good stadium to visit, watched a couple of matches in that one back in the day. 

We're a Championship club, not going to have all the glamour ties. Anyway, our friendly with Parma wasn't that long before they got banished out of existence, maybe some of them felt there was a curse :P 

From a practical point of view, we need to get confidence back in the squad. They need to win games to get that confidence back. Only way to do that is to almost guarantee a couple of wins in the trot.

Next preseason I expect to see a tour of China though, so this could be the last European preseason for a while. 

Strangely, when I called my mum (who still lives in Wellington) two weeks ago, she mentioned that Villa were playing Telford. I assumed she was talking gibberish and thought nothing of it. 

This was the day after the takeover was announced, so plans must have been in place behind the scenes. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah thinking about it I've played there too, not a clue how they'll do the ticketing and numbers etc I can imagine a fair few hundred from round here will turn up for it

I guess it'll be the under-18s, not the first team.

Yeah it will be, I'd imagine the kiddy lions lot depending on holidays etc will muster around 80 people, no doubt some of the old faces from around stourport and bewdley, plus then depending on which game the Black Country and other not too distant supporters clubs choose to do, plus then just locals, for a day out in stourport on sea I reckon we could see 400-500 people try and do it

Â