Villa Pre Season 2016/17

Villa have finalised their pre-season plans for this summer.

The club will be in Austria for a training camp from July 9-14 as the players are put through their paces ahead of the 2016/17 Championship campaign.

When we head back to the UK, we face a host of friendlies on home soil.

First up, there's a game with National League North Telford United at The New Bucks Head on Saturday July 16, kick-off 12pm while we'll also send a side to play Worcester City at Stourport Swifts - kick-off 3pm.

There's a trip to League One new boys Bristol Rovers on Wednesday July 20, kick-off 7.45pm.

The claret and blues will then fly to France to play FC Nantes at the Stade Leo Lagrange, Saint Nazaire - the home of Racing Besançon.

The match against midfielder Jordan Veretout's former side takes place on Saturday July 23, kick-off 7pm.

League Two Cambridge United are our next opponents - we face Shaun Derry's men on July 26.

Finally, Premier League newcomers Middlesbrough visit Villa Park on Saturday July 30 before the Championship season starts a week later.

There are also a host of U21/U18 fixtures for our young sides all of which are listed below.

CONFIRMED FIRST TEAM GAMES

Friendly v AFC Telford (A) - 12pm Saturday July 16 
Friendly v Worcester City (At Walshes Meadow, Stourport) - 3pm Saturday July 16 
Friendly v Bristol Rovers (A) - 7.45pm Wednesday July 20 
Friendly v FC Nantes (At Stade Leo Lagrange, Saint Nazaire) - Saturday July 23 
Friendly v Cambridge United (A) - 7.30pm Tuesday July 26 
Friendly v Middlesbrough (H) - 3pm Saturday July 30

Just click it

Nantes game looks interesting!

All confirmed

Villa Pre Season

Friendly v AFC Telford (A) - 12pm Saturday July 16

Friendly v Worcester City (At Walshes Meadow, Stourport) - 3pm Saturday July 16

Friendly v Bristol Rovers (A) - 7.45pm Wednesday July 20

Friendly v FC Nantes (At Stade Leo Lagrange, Saint Nazaire) - Saturday July 23

Friendly v Cambridge United (A) - 7.30pm Tuesday July 26

Friendly v Middlesbrough (H) - 3pm Saturday July 30

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that we could not find some better opposition?  Telford, Worcester, Bristol Rovers and Cambridge - I know they are warm ups but it hardly smacks of global ambition does it.

• Like 1

Well at least we have some sort of preparation now.....the wheels are slowly starting to turn.

Nantes friendly was agreed as part of the Veretout deal so at least that's one decent continental team we're playing.

Yep playing Boro is a bit humbling....at Villa Park aswell considering  we used to have games against decent european sides a week before the season starts. 

Edited by VillaChris

I've followed Nantes as a European team since I was a kid going on Camping holidays to Western France. I wish they played this friendly 20 years ago, would have been an amazing start to my family summer holiday :D

I'll probably go to Bristol Rovers as thats pretty close for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It will never cease to amaze me how much people read into pre-season games.

i read it as

not been there, **** stourport! thats going to be brilliant, been there, exactly what i wanted a game abroad, not been there, on a stag do that weekend and its my birthday so wasnt going anyway (its shit playing a prem team at home though)

i think they might squeeze another game in, would expect the U21s to play vs telford and worcester

Sounds like Brian Little has been helping out.....

Link to article

WORCESTER City will take on Aston Villa’s first team in a pre-season friendly at Stourport Swifts next month.....City manager Carl Heeley said the “prestigious friendly", which takes place on Saturday, July 16 (3pm), would be a “great experience” for the club.  He also revealed it came after former Villa manager Brian Little contacted him to arrange the clash on the same day the Birmingham side go up against AFC Telford United. "I received a telephone call from Brian who has recently been appointed as an advisor to the board at Aston Villa,” he said. “I know Brian well from his days as Gainsborough Trinity manager, and he asked if we would like to play a Villa first team

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â