Second hand car advice

dubbs

First of all I'm not sure if this is ok as a new topic or should be in the consumer advice section in the Tech thread. If it's wrong I'm sorry. 

Anyway about 2 months ago I traded my car in for a 2nd hand one with a local car salesman - not a private sale. I did the usual checks, took it for a drive and everything seemed good so I completed the sale. It had been MOT'd the day of the sale, couple of advisory notes but nothing serious. 

After 2 months I've had to call Green Flag out twice, once after losing all acceleration in the outside line on a motorway - scary when it happened.  The guy who towed me checked it over and said it was possible damp in the ECU (a known problem on audi a4's apparently). Also shortly after having it I'd noticed almost a rubbing sound when turning left so I took it to a garage yesterday for them to look at. What they found was quite worrying - subframe issues, gearbox and engine mount problems, which I was advised make the car dangerous to drive and it shouldn't have passed the MOT. I called the guy who sold me the car and he said he's used his preferred garage for ages and they are really good, and to take it to them to look at.  Even though they were open yesterday they said it wad just for paperwork.  It was only afterwards I thought there were guys in overalls there so this was probably bull. I've got to take it back there Tuesday,  well my gf has as I've got a meeting I can't miss on Tuesday at work.  I'm expecting them to say it's fine, even though I have seen its not. The garage I use said the subframe would cost around £600 alone to replace brand new but to look on eBay for second hand as it'd be considerably cheaper. I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for though! 

I don't know if I'm covered by any consumer laws. If id purchased from a private sale I know it's sold as seen but is this the case for a dealer? 

The new consumer act came into force last year, there is some good info here;

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

not sure on the ins and outs of 'used' goods, but I would imagine there is a lot that's potentially applicable. I know it's made quite a bit of difference to faults with 'new goods' and your rights to reject. 

Have a look - might be worth giving the C.A.B a call too - they are pretty decent on most things. 

The joys of used cars and used car dealers! I'd rather eat my own arm! 

Wish I could afford a new car but after being saddled with thousands of pounds of debt from a previous relationship that's not going to happen for ages! 

Cheers for the pointers,  and I'm not saying the guy who I purchased it from will be a complete dick about this but I want to know where I stand. if the place who did the MOT messed up big time in missing these faults surely that's a problem legally or otherwise for them. 

I know on 'new' goods if it developed a fault within the timeframe you've had it, the dealer would be allowed one attempt at rectification, then if not resolved, you can request a full refund. 

I would suspect you might be in the same boat here, but the dealer might have more opportunity to get it 'fixed' before you can reject. 

Good luck - hope you sort it! 

Right, I've now got photographs of the bits in question, just in case the garage try and bodge a quick fix. This is really stressing me atm. 

Dubbs,

I am currently working within the motor trade and have been for about ten years now so hoping I can shed some light.

General rule of thumb is that if the vehicle has something goes wrong with it such as you mentioned during first six months the garage should be liable

The 3 month warranty etc is bullshit. 

• Like 1

Also 30 days is the rejection period. After that you have to give the garage chance to fix it. If they do not do this satisfactorily you are entitled to a refund

Good luck, 

Edited by bouch
  • Like 1

The subframes are pretty big pieces of metal and unlikely to be broken, most likely is that the rubber mounts/bushes are work or damaged which causes the whole thing to trist or move especially under load. Its a lot of labour but generally the subframes can be removed and the rubbers bushes replaced, hopefully the garage will do this and the car will be fine.

Push the dealer to pay for the costs of meet you half way. Threaten him with some legal mumbo jumbo. When that doesn't work, wait for the dust to settle, purchase a nice balaclava, go round his dealership at night and smash the **** out of his windows.

How did you pay for the car? If its on a credit card or HP then you have a greater chance of success. Take it to an Audi garage and get them to inspect the car, you should be able to blag it for free if you act dumb and say you want a quote for sorting a noise issue.

Purchased via part exchange and the additional on my debit card.  So if it's a nail I guess I'm screwed.

I'm getting a post purchase full inspection done tomorrow.  It'll show whether or not it's roadworthy, should have passed / failed the MOT.  Then with an independent report on the car I can decide the next step. 

With most of these MOT's that get done on trade cars I think they barely look at them, you should come at it from the angle that if it deems to have a dodgy MOT then it won't look very good on his local (probably mates) garage and you'll be pressing it with the local authorities...

That's the plan. I'll see what this inspection report comes up with then go from there. Possibly contact trading standards and VOSA as well?

12 minutes ago, dubbs said:

That's the plan. I'll see what this inspection report comes up with then go from there. Possibly contact trading standards and VOSA as well?

Yes VOSA for sure. If the report clearly states the issues should have been picked up at the MOT.

Â