Champions League Final 2016

coda

13 hours ago, gharperr said:

it was mentioned on another forum but i kind of liked the idea of...

pens being taking on edge of area (or on the D) during pen shoot outs. Because at the moment it is totally all about the striker and it all comes down to atm is whether the keeper guessed the right way or not (or cheat by coming off the line). At least this way, you need to increase the skill of the pen taker AND the skill of goalkeeper actually comes into the equation. 

The shootouts would never end, cuz everyone would miss or the keeper would save it. Regulars pens are fine, IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Like them or not but penalties are the best way to settle games. Personally I'd scrap extra time and just go to pens after 90 minutes, you could see how knackered the players were as soon as they started so extra time was a waste

Agreed. Some say penalties aren't fair, but extra time is even worse. Losing the game because you can't put the ball in the net is football skill related, losing the game because half of your team have cramp isn't really.

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Like them or not but penalties are the best way to settle games. Personally I'd scrap extra time and just go to pens after 90 minutes, you could see how knackered the players were as soon as they started so extra time was a waste.

play the penalties after 90 minutes and then play the extra time as then 1 team will then have to actually attack. also give both teams a breather

19 hours ago, BOF said:

On that note.  I remember hearing a story about a tourist in my ex's Dad's pub in South of Spain giving out stink at the telly about a player missing a penalty in a CL game and going on about how the hell players at that level can miss a penalty.  The guy next to him took great exception to this.  Tells him in no uncertain terms that at that level and in that scenario with the pressure, the goal "looks about as wide as (points at the toilet door) that door" then goes back to his pint.  Later on when the angry man had left, the tourist asked 'who was that bloke'.  Turns out it had been Ray Kennedy, who won 3 European Cups with Liverpool :) 

haha - awesome 

Edited by Tayls

22 hours ago, gharperr said:

pens being taking on edge of area (or on the D) during pen shoot outs. Because at the moment it is totally all about the striker and it all comes down to atm is whether the keeper guessed the right way or not (or cheat by coming off the line). 

No it doesn't. 

There's far more to it than that.

Goalkeepers that are good at saving penalties don't just "guess" correctly.

Â